Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

How far is Baumann behind Kremer in development?

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nothing here to argue with, but if Baumann looks to be healthy, pitching well and successful this spring, I would not be surprised to see him start the year in the rotation or at least once the team needs a 5th starter.

It looks like you don’t need a 5th starter until the 14th and really it looks like you may need the 5th start again for about 10 or so days after that.  So, they could keep him down, gain the extra year of service time and he would basically only miss one start.  

They could just have the 14th be a BP game.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It looks like you don’t need a 5th starter until the 14th and really it looks like you may need the 5th start again for about 10 or so days after that.  So, they could keep him down, gain the extra year of service time and he would basically only miss one start.  

They could just have the 14th be a Bp game.

And that would make some sense if that's the case (I haven't looked at the schedule but I'll take your word). I can see the Orioles doing that because if they can gain an extra year for one potential missed start, that certainly would be prudent.. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And that would make some sense if that's the case (I haven't looked at the schedule but I'll take your word). I can see the Orioles doing that because if they can gain an extra year for one potential missed start, that certainly would be prudent.. 

Leaving him down wouldn't even be about service time, you would be better off from a roster flexibility standpoint.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Leaving him down wouldn't even be about service time, you would be better off from a roster flexibility standpoint.

Buck liked that one right before an All-Star game.   Bonus points if the momentary Ironbird is a near All-Star.

I figure a bridge way too far, but age-based free agency it seems like would help with youth appeal.   It doesn't really matter where the service time line is placed if it exists to be gamed.   There will be enough to enjoy anyway, but I doubt it'd kill Gunnar Henderson for MLB pitchers to strike him out some.  40-man space for Cesar Valdez isn't completely without its charms.

Reliever-carousel wise, I could get behind say 16-man rosters for wildcard games.  I'm sure Theo's on this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They could just have the 14th be a BP game.

They need a 5th starter on April 7th, 14th ,  and 27th

44 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They need a 5th starter on April 7th, 14th ,  and 27th

Yea you are right about the 7th.  I skipped that one for some reason.  Still, it’s only 2 starts missed to get the extra service time.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It's easy to get extra service time, especially on a team that isn't pretending to contend.

It's harder with position players if they are doing well but yea, with pitchers it's super easy.  Sorry, we need another bullpen arm and you have options.  See you in 10 days.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's harder with position players if they are doing well but yea, with pitchers it's super easy.  Sorry, we need another bullpen arm and you have options.  See you in 10 days.

Agreed. It'll be a different story if they're doing this with AR next year, assuming health and performance this year.