Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Beyond the 2020 Top 30

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Enjoyed this. Where did you get the quotes from Luke?

I think they are some quotes from before Luke worked for the O’s.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed the article.

If the O's need a roster spot I think they will  put Goudeau through waivers to try to get him to AAA.  A 28 year old, 27th round pick that has never done well passed AA.

And I think Shaw is a former 1st round pick with a lot of power.  The O's are at least going to want to see him in ST to see what Don Long can do with him.

JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Enjoyed the article.

If the O's need a roster spot I think they will  put Goudeau through waivers to try to get him to AAA.  A 28 year old, 27th round pick that has never done well passed AA.

And I think Shaw is a former 1st round pick with a lot of power.  The O's are at least going to want to see him in ST to see what Don Long can do with him.

JMO

I wonder if Lopez and Goudeau are here to buy an extra year of service time for Baumann and Lowther (and Wells and Smith).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, VaBird1 said:

I wonder if Lopez and Goudeau are here to buy an extra year of service time for Baumann and Lowther (and Wells and Smith).

I don't think any of the names you mentioned are call up and keep up guys.  I think it very unlikely that the O's are worried about who Wells is pitching for in seven years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VaBird1 said:

I wonder if Lopez and Goudeau are here to buy an extra year of service time for Baumann and Lowther (and Wells and Smith).

Well, maybe for Baumann and Lowther but I think Elias is looking for a cheap veteran starter that is better than either Lopez or Goudeau.    Injuries happen and its not just the #5 starter that needs to have a back up.

I look for Goudeau to be waived and outrighted to make room on the 40 man roster when Elias signs a SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think any of the names you mentioned are call up and keep up guys.  I think it very unlikely that the O's are worried about who Wells is pitching for in seven years.

As to the latter sentence, you just never know.   The O’s apparently weren’t holding their breath on Zach Davies, but he overcame the challenges of having below average FB velocity and almost every team in the majors could use a guy like him in their rotation.    The odds that Wells turns out to be another Davies are probably only 20% or so, but they’re not negligible.     The guy has had success at every MiL stop, and that’s not something that should be ignored.   

Saying that, I doubt the O’s will be gaming his service time.    
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As to the latter sentence, you just never know.   The O’s apparently weren’t holding their breath on Zach Davies, but he overcame the challenges of having below average FB velocity and almost every team in the majors could use a guy like him in their rotation.    The odds that Wells turns out to be another Davies are probably only 20% or so, but they’re not negligible.     The guy has had success at every MiL stop, and that’s not something that should be ignored.   

Saying that, I doubt the O’s will be gaming his service time.    
 

I think you misplaced your decimal point.

You don't actually think that Wells has a one in five chance of racking up 10 career rWAR do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Philip said:

Enjoyed this. Where did you get the quotes from Luke?

They were from last year's piece, since we have no new information on them, I just added them onto this year's piece.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

I wonder if Lopez and Goudeau are here to buy an extra year of service time for Baumann and Lowther (and Wells and Smith).

I think we see Baumann this year, but could see also one or two of the other three depending on need and how they are pitching at AAA. Baumann will be 25 years old and was reportedly the most dominant pitcher at the alternate site last year. Had he not gotten injured, I think he would have made his debut last year. Due to his age (he'll be 31 when he's eligible for free agency under the current system) I don't think the Orioles hold him back. It would not surprise me if he wins a rotation spot this spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Well, maybe for Baumann and Lowther but I think Elias is looking for a cheap veteran starter that is better than either Lopez or Goudeau.    Injuries happen and its not just the #5 starter that needs to have a back up.

I look for Goudeau to be waived and outrighted to make room on the 40 man roster when Elias signs a SS.

I hope not. The Orioles have Akin, Kremer, Zimmermann, and Baumann all ready for major league opportunities behind Means and Cobb in the rotation. With Kevin Smith, Zac Lowther and Alex Wells all guys that should be at AAA this season and if they pitch well, could be worth giving opportunities as well. 

I don't think Lopez or Goudeau will be in the rotation, and I really doubt Elias that Elias is worried about bringing in a Milone-type of guy unless it's on a minor league contract and if a slew of injuries requires a veteran to take some starts until the latter guys are ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I hope not. The Orioles have Akin, Kremer, Zimmermann, and Baumann all ready for major league opportunities behind Means and Cobb in the rotation. With Kevin Smith, Zac Lowther and Alex Wells all guys that should be at AAA this season and if they pitch well, could be worth giving opportunities as well. 

I don't think Lopez or Goudeau will be in the rotation, and I really doubt Elias that Elias is worried about bringing in a Milone-type of guy unless it's on a minor league contract and if a slew of injuries requires a veteran to take some starts until the latter guys are ready.

I don't think Elias will wait until the season begins, have a lot of injuries to the pitching staff and then go look for a veteran starter.  I think he does add a veteran on a minor league contract probably with an opt date.   That is what he did with Milone and LeBlanc last season.

Zimmermann is on the bubble of being in the rotation vs beginning the season at AAA IMO.   He needs a good spring to go north with the O's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most interesting to me* are Welk (underdog/old), Mattson and Cumberland (future backup catcher?).

 

* the international guys are truly most interesting, but I know next to nothing about them. I'm hoping we have some future top 5 org prospects in this list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed the article. Curious to see some of these guys like Welk, Watson, Stowers and Ortiz play after the year layoff. It was a costly year for the 2019 draftees, in particular.

Minor correction that Zach Watson was a junior at LSU in 2019 when drafted. He was a draft-eligible sophomore in 2018. He will be 24 on June 25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...