Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jammer7

Santander drawing interest

Recommended Posts

In Roch's blog this morning, he wrote about Santander being available for trade and drawing interest from the Marlins.

Quote

I’m working under the assumption that Santander stays with the club. I’ve heard that he’s drawing interest. A scout from another organization said, “He’s out there for trade.” Keep an eye on the Marlins, who are looking for a right fielder. And keep in mind that these talks happen every offseason and often lead to nothing.

I would doubt he goes anywhere before the deadline, but who would the Marlins have to send to the Orioles if they want Santander? I would start with JJ Bleday, Kameron Misner and Dax Fulton, and add a DSL player. If he stays healthy and has similar production to 2020, the price would go up. Thoughts?

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/01/what-to-do-about-the-dh.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a believer in Santander. I know he has had injury issues, and he needs to stay healthy. I really like the strides he made in his approach and swing decision making. He lowered his k rate from 21.2% to 15.2%. He showed maturity in his game and appears to have slowed the game down. I believe he is about to break out in a big way. A switch-hitting middle-of-the-order bat with plus RF defense and four more years of control is a very attractive package. No? And if the Marlins are interested in him, Kim Ng must agree.

Bleday has not played above A ball in 2019, 140 at bats in the Florida State League .257/.311/.379. The only knock on him is 40 speed. Everything else is above average or plus. 

 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/marlins/jj-bleday-668709

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/anthony-santander/14551/stats?position=OF

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s a completely unrealistic proposal for Santander.  You should just say he’s untouchable.

Yeah, I'm not even positive you could get the rest of that package for Santander, let alone adding the 50-ish overall prospect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, I'm not even positive you could get the rest of that package for Santander, let alone adding the 50-ish overall prospect.

I think you can get 1 top 10 guy (more in the 6-10 range) and another top 15 guy...maybe you could also add a lottery ticket DSL guy.  That’s about the most I would expect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you can get 1 top 10 guy (more in the 6-10 range) and another top 15 guy...maybe you could also add a lottery ticket DSL guy.  That’s about the most I would expect.

Right. That is the rest of the package. Misner and Fulton would probably both be in the 8-15 range in our farm system, which is about average. The Marlins system is quite good, but that doesn't mean that they would have to give up more than other teams.

Those two would be about what I would expect, not positive you could get it, but it wouldn't surprise me either way. Certainly couldn't get Bleday. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Elias is making him available, either he doesn't believe in the profile that you're projecting or he thinks others really do believe in it and he can get good value.

If Bleday is a 40 speed guy, he better hit better than he did in 2019. Still, he was a VERY highly regarded prospect for a time. I'd really be shocked if Santander nets that type of value unless that star has fizzled.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Right. That is the rest of the package. Misner and Fulton would probably both be in the 8-15 range in our farm system, which is about average. The Marlins system is quite good, but that doesn't mean that they would have to give up more than other teams.

Those two would be about what I would expect, not positive you could get it, but it wouldn't surprise me either way. Certainly couldn't get Bleday. 

Right..and btw, if they would trade Bleday for him, I would absolutely be convinced they think they are selling high and made a mistake drafting him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s a completely unrealistic proposal for Santander.  You should just say he’s untouchable.

 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you can get 1 top 10 guy (more in the 6-10 range) and another top 15 guy...maybe you could also add a lottery ticket DSL guy.  That’s about the most I would expect.

Fair enough, that is why I said I would start there. To move him now, that is where I would start. His final stats for 2020 (.261/.315/.575) were a little deceiving in that he played several games with an abdominal strain. Prior to that, he was (.287/.333/.661) in the first half of the season. With a BABIP of .261, would you say he may have hit into some bad luck? 

Those prospects listed have no experience above A ball, and they are far from a sure thing. Misner has contact issues and Fulton is coming off TJ surgery. In mid-July, if Santander is healthy and picks up where he left off in 2020, I think that price is not far off at all. Healthy is a big factor, certainly. Perhaps Bleday is raking in AA and they just promote him to play RF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..and btw, if they would trade Bleday for him, I would absolutely be convinced they think they are selling high and made a mistake drafting him.

That could be. Or maybe they think they can compete in 2021 and need a legitimate RF. A young controllable Latin American star in that market makes sense. Bleday is maybe a mid 2022 guy, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

 

Fair enough, that is why I said I would start there. To move him now, that is where I would start. His final stats for 2020 (.261/.315/.575) were a little deceiving in that he played several games with an abdominal strain. Prior to that, he was (.287/.333/.661) in the first half of the season. With a BABIP of .261, would you say he may have hit into some bad luck? 

Those prospects listed have no experience above A ball, and they are far from a sure thing. Misner has contact issues and Fulton is coming off TJ surgery. In mid-July, if Santander is healthy and picks up where he left off in 2020, I think that price is not far off at all. Healthy is a big factor, certainly. Perhaps Bleday is raking in AA and they just promote him to play RF. 

So his final stats were deceiving because of an injury yet you want to point out an even smaller sample size to act as if those aren’t deceiving?

I don’t see the logic there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

That could be. Or maybe they think they can compete in 2021 and need a legitimate RF. A young controllable Latin American star in that market makes sense. Bleday is maybe a mid 2022 guy, I think. 

Just because they need that player...doesn’t mean they would trade a guy like that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

That could be. Or maybe they think they can compete in 2021 and need a legitimate RF. A young controllable Latin American star in that market makes sense. Bleday is maybe a mid 2022 guy, I think. 

Could mean dozens of more fans a game.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If Elias is making him available, either he doesn't believe in the profile that you're projecting or he thinks others really do believe in it and he can get good value.

If Bleday is a 40 speed guy, he better hit better than he did in 2019. Still, he was a VERY highly regarded prospect for a time. I'd really be shocked if Santander nets that type of value unless that star has fizzled.

That could be, sure. Or maybe Elias sees a good return for a guy that is going to get increasingly expensive before we are ready to compete for a playoff run. He wants to continue building the talent base. And he has Diaz knocking on the door, needing at bats. Perhaps they think Mullins is the CF and Hays belongs on a corner with Mountcastle. IDK. 

Ideally, I would like to keep Santander and build around him, unless I am convinced he is at his peek in value as you allude to. I think Kjerstad and Bleday are very similar players, I actually think Kjerstad is a little better athlete and better overall hitter. Bleday has a stronger arm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • “Mom and Dad, do you want your kids to end up like Chris Davis?  Well, better just give them the Aderall now, and not mess around with the Vyvanse. Little Johnny will fail the 7th grade otherwise.” -Every Psychiatrist 
    • I went Opening Day. I had a great experience.    Pros: - No traffic because the Pandemic.  - The lot under the bridge by the train was only $10 and took cash.  - No lines for the bathroom or when you enter the stadium.  - The staff there was really cool and you could tell that they were going the extra mile to make everyone comfortable.    Cons: - No Vendors in the stands. Such as beer man. (Hope Clarence is aight) - Long concession lines. Be smart and plan accordingly.  - The hand sanitizer machines were mostly empty that they had strategically placed.  Now what everyone is worried about. Mask wearing. Most people were very cool the entire time. The staff has even little paddle signs that they raise near someone to get them to put their mask on. I will say once I switched to the lower bowl at the end of the game, it was as if COVID never existed. The people in the cheap seats were 95% wearing masks at all times. Behind 1st base was about 25%. 
    • It seems like that the only possible way that the O’s (or most teams for that matter) can compete is by building an elite farm system.  Given how hard and how slow that process is, I wanted to ask the O’s experts on here a few simple question for discussion:   1. how long would you estimate that it takes for a team to go from a mediocre/poor farm system, to a system that has produced enough major league talent to win in the AL east?  Additionally, how long in your opinion does the pro club need to suck while building the farm. 2. is there a team that you would prefer that the O’s model their approach after?  Is it Tampa?  Toronto? St. Louis?  I think the Tampa model is the most brutally efficient, but I can’t see many people truly being happy with that model in the long haul (getting rid of good players while value is high, rarely spending a dollar in FA). 3. do you like the financial model of baseball as opposed to other professional leagues?  Baseball has always been my favorite sport, but it really seems to favor the larger market teams in the end.  Not that smaller market teams can’t compete, it’s just that every year it seems the larger market teams win.  I know there are some poor large market orgs, but I personally get disinterested when I see how imbalanced the competitive landscape can be at times.  
    • Same chance of getting you a championship in 2022.
    • o   lllllllllllllllllllllll. (vs. MARINERS, 12:35 PM)       llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll        llllllllllllllllllllll.l (vs. MARINERS, 4:05 PM)     llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll    o
    • Contracts like Davis really hurts the game overall more than it hurts the individual team. Typically teams that have a bad contract just pick up and move on from the player...meanwhile the fans hold a grudge towards the player. Baltimore is doing a disservice to the game by not releasing him and moving on.
    • Yikes. Here's what the O's gave up in 24 hrs.:     WAR, 1991 ff.     Finley        43.5     Harnisch    17.6     Schilling    80.2     Tettleton    17.9     Total lost: 159.2 Davis        0.2     Robinson    -0.6     Total gained: -0.4         Total, net: 159.6 10 yrs    16 WAR/yr.     16 yrs.    10 WAR/yr.    
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...