Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jammer7

Santander drawing interest

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please find me one instance in which we know a player lied to a team about his salary demands and the team acquiesced to his new demand.

You ever notice that even guys like AR sign for below slot?

The player has a lot more to lose than the team.  You think your son is going to do better than #7.5 money as a senior with a tarnished reputation?

It happens all the time with teams and agents! In free agency Scott Boras promise Billy Beane they Damon would resign for x number of dollars, After talking to the Red Sox and said he had a better offer. And now they needed to pay more. In Beane’s case he didn’t and the A’s were legitimately cash strapped. I’m quite certain the Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, etc all have at one time or another.

Has it hit the media? The Orioles or any other team doesn’t  announce their contract understanding at the time of the selection and never would. They wouldn’t need to publicly air it anyway if they didn’t agree ...especially if they would be viewed as being cheap the the Orioles! Fans like us would bash them for being cheap! There representatives would just be saying they wanted fair market value in a system MLB already established so players couldn’t have ridiculous salary demands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roll Tide said:

It happens all the time with teams and agents! In free agency Scott Boras promise Billy Beane they Damon would resign for x number of dollars, After talking to the Red Sox and said he had a better offer. And now they needed to pay more. In Beane’s case he didn’t and the A’s were legitimately cash strapped. I’m quite certain the Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, etc all have at one time or another.

Has it hit the media? The Orioles or any other team doesn’t  announce their contract understanding at the time of the selection and never would. They wouldn’t need to publicly air it anyway if they didn’t agree ...especially if they would be viewed as being cheap the the Orioles! Fans like us would bash them for being cheap! There representatives would just be saying they wanted fair market value in a system MLB already established so players couldn’t have ridiculous salary demands. 

Give me one example of it happening with a draftee.

I'm pretty high on the Orioles aren't spending bandwagon and if it came out that a draftee changed their contract demands after being selected I'd 100% be on the team's side.

I'm also guessing that their advisor would drop them like a hot potato as they would like to continue in the business.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't even understand what you are trying to say here.

If the O's don't sign him they get the 1-3 pick in the 2021 draft.  That would leave them with two high picks in that draft and a ton of pool money compared to other teams.

 

Once Kjerstad was selected his selection would be announced. The Agent tells them he wants money more fair for the slot he was selected. The other selections in the draft would’ve already been made so ...how in the heck would it change your dray strategy? It couldn’t possibly unless Kjerstads agent told the Orioles immediately after the selection...something they clearly wouldn’t do. 
 

So you could pay a couple of later picks more money after yo7 had already selected them anyway?

 

 

******* Oh got it ...In the next draft! Ok ....so you would again advocate on passing the BPA to cut a deal with a lesser player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Once Kjerstad was selected his selection would be announced. The Agent tells them he wants money more fair for the slot he was selected. The other selections in the draft would’ve already been made so ...how in the heck would it change your dray strategy? It couldn’t possibly unless Kjerstads agent told the Orioles immediately after the selection...something they clearly wouldn’t do. 
 

So you could pay a couple of later picks more money after yo7 had already selected them anyway?

Did you see the part where I said next draft?  It's kind of an important part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Give me one example of it happening with a draftee.

I'm pretty high on the Orioles aren't spending bandwagon and if it came out that a draftee changed their contract demands after being selected I'd 100% be on the team's side.

I'm also guessing that their advisor would drop them like a hot potato as they would like to continue in the business.

 

there were at least 10!
 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-10-mlb-draft-holdouts-of-all-time/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you see the part where I said next draft?  It's kind of an important part.

Quote

 

******* Oh got it ...In the next draft! Ok ....so you would again advocate on passing the BPA to cut a deal with a lesser player again!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:
  1. Didn't sign
  2. Isn't about contract demands at all
  3. Didn't sign
  4. Player backed down
  5. Maybe the player won?  Hard to say because of the circumstances.  The player didn't change demands after being drafted that I can tell which is what you are advocating.
  6. Didn't sign
  7. Didn't sign
  8. Didn't sign
  9. Didn't sign
  10. Didn't sign

None of the 10 involved a player changing his demand after being drafted and the team agreeing to the higher number.

If anything this list shows that teams will let a player walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:
  1. Didn't sign
  2. Isn't about contract demands at all
  3. Didn't sign
  4. Player back down
  5. Maybe the player won?  Hard to say because of the circumstances.  The player didn't change demands after being drafted that I can tell which is what you are advocating.
  6. Didn't sign
  7. Didn't sign
  8. Didn't sign
  9. Didn't sign
  10. Didn't sign

None of the 10 involved a player changing his demand after being drafted and the team agreeing to the higher number.

Do you honestly believe that no drafted player has ever increased their demands after being selected? I think your pretty naive if you believe that. Quite frankly there have been a number of players that where drafted and never signed. So obviously MLB teams wanted to take lesser money. The slotting system in baseball in the Rule 6 draft is new and and therefore underslot tactics are as well.

In other sports, Players can force a team to deal them after being selected because they couldn’t agree or didn’t want to play for that team. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Do you honestly believe that no drafted player has ever increased their demands after being selected? I think your pretty naive if you believe that. Quite frankly there have been a number of players that where drafted and never signed. So obviously MLB teams wanted to take lesser money. The slotting system in baseball in the Rule 6 draft is new and and therefore underslot tactics are as well.

In other sports, Players can force a team to deal them after being selected because they couldn’t agree or didn’t want to play for that team. 

 

I think you have failed to provide me an example of such a strategy working out for the player.

I'm not sure how players not signing doesn't help my cause more than yours.  You are the one suggesting that players can change their demands and that teams will agree to pay them the new amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think you have failed to provide me an example of such a strategy working out for the player.

I'm not sure how players not signing doesn't help my cause more than yours.  You are the one suggesting that players can change their demands and that teams will agree to pay them the new amount.

Most teams don’t negotiate in the media so I doubt it would be easy to find. and as I suggested the slotting system is fairly new for MLB. As I’ve stated, I’m sure it’s happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can bet if a thread has reached 21 pages on the OH, the topic has changed.

I'm growing increasingly skeptical of Santander being on the OD roster.  At the very least, I don't think he'll be here after the trading deadline, especially if Diaz is somehow raking in AA or AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I love is that @Roll Tide just continues to move the goal posts.

Once he realized that the whole basis for his argument ithat Kjerstad accepted 7.5M less was totally wrong, he has now shifted it to something totally irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Most teams don’t negotiate in the media so I doubt it would be easy to find. and as I suggested the slotting system is fairly new for MLB. As I’ve stated, I’m sure it’s happened.

Why wouldn't a team go public with the information that a draft pick changed his demands?  If anything it puts the team in a better light.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • We gotta stop falling apart against the Yankees. It’s going to be real fun to watch that moment when we turn the corner against them.  
    • “Mom and Dad, do you want your kids to end up like Chris Davis?  Well, better just give them the Aderall now, and not mess around with the Vyvanse. Little Johnny will fail the 7th grade otherwise.” -Every Psychiatrist 
    • I went Opening Day. I had a great experience.    Pros: - No traffic because the Pandemic.  - The lot under the bridge by the train was only $10 and took cash.  - No lines for the bathroom or when you enter the stadium.  - The staff there was really cool and you could tell that they were going the extra mile to make everyone comfortable.    Cons: - No Vendors in the stands. Such as beer man. (Hope Clarence is aight) - Long concession lines. Be smart and plan accordingly.  - The hand sanitizer machines were mostly empty that they had strategically placed.  Now what everyone is worried about. Mask wearing. Most people were very cool the entire time. The staff has even little paddle signs that they raise near someone to get them to put their mask on. I will say once I switched to the lower bowl at the end of the game, it was as if COVID never existed. The people in the cheap seats were 95% wearing masks at all times. Behind 1st base was about 25%. 
    • It seems like that the only possible way that the O’s (or most teams for that matter) can compete is by building an elite farm system.  Given how hard and how slow that process is, I wanted to ask the O’s experts on here a few simple question for discussion:   1. how long would you estimate that it takes for a team to go from a mediocre/poor farm system, to a system that has produced enough major league talent to win in the AL east?  Additionally, how long in your opinion does the pro club need to suck while building the farm. 2. is there a team that you would prefer that the O’s model their approach after?  Is it Tampa?  Toronto? St. Louis?  I think the Tampa model is the most brutally efficient, but I can’t see many people truly being happy with that model in the long haul (getting rid of good players while value is high, rarely spending a dollar in FA). 3. do you like the financial model of baseball as opposed to other professional leagues?  Baseball has always been my favorite sport, but it really seems to favor the larger market teams in the end.  Not that smaller market teams can’t compete, it’s just that every year it seems the larger market teams win.  I know there are some poor large market orgs, but I personally get disinterested when I see how imbalanced the competitive landscape can be at times.  
    • Same chance of getting you a championship in 2022.
    • o   lllllllllllllllllllllll. (vs. MARINERS, 12:35 PM)       llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll        llllllllllllllllllllll.l (vs. MARINERS, 4:05 PM)     llllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll    o
    • Contracts like Davis really hurts the game overall more than it hurts the individual team. Typically teams that have a bad contract just pick up and move on from the player...meanwhile the fans hold a grudge towards the player. Baltimore is doing a disservice to the game by not releasing him and moving on.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...