Jump to content
eddie83

Jim Hunter officially gone

Recommended Posts


No surprise. He was already cut back last year and then he was never used during the shorter season. 
 

Really don’t get why the Orioles took this long to let him know. Seems to be consistent for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:


No surprise. He was already cut back last year and then he was never used during the shorter season. 
 

Really don’t get why the Orioles took this long to let him know. Seems to be consistent for them. 

Elias had been trying for weeks to contact him on WhatsApp.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy was awful from start to finish, amplified by the fact that he replaced a giant in Jon Miller.  I will never forget Mr. Hoffman, the OH minor league reporter, who said his summer drives around MD between Bowie, Frederick, Aberdeen, etc., were made far less pleasant by the substitution of Hunter for Miller.   I guess it goes without saying that it is unfortunate whenever someone loses their job, but this is not a situation much different from when a AAA relief pitcher is released.   We should also remember Hunter's absurd focus on the incompetence of umpires  - while simultaneously ignoring the incompetence of the players on the field if they wore the right color uniform  - and his suggestion that umpires should be demoted to the minors just like ballplayers.   That process just impacted his own life.  

Edited by Dreadnought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t care what your opinion was of him I just don’t get waiting basically 4 months after the season to tell him he wasn’t back.
 

Now if I could see the writing on the wall I’m sure he did as well. That said I don’t think you do that to a 24 year employee. 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, canonfaz said:

Seemed like a nice guy, but man, I was not a fan oh his broadcasting or "interviews". Excited to see who they replace him with.

They only had about 73 broadcasters last year. I think they will be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t care what your opinion was of him I just don’t get waiting basically 4 months after the season to tell him he wasn’t back.
 

Now if I could see the writing on the wall I’m sure he did as well. That said I don’t think you do that to a 24 year employee. 

 

 

Chill, they're busy with all the other things they're doing this offseason.  Haven't you been paying attention?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hunter definitely has his detractors but his voice was decent enough if all you were expecting was someone to fill the air time. He was OK at that role. There are worse baseball announcers out there.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

The guy was awful from start to finish, amplified by the fact that he replaced a giant in Jon Miller.  I will never forget Mr. Hoffman, the OH minor league reporter, who said his summer drives around MD between Bowie, Frederick, Aberdeen, etc., were made far less pleasant by the substitution of Hunter for Miller.   I guess it goes without saying that it is unfortunate whenever someone loses their job, but this is not a situation much different from when a AAA relief pitcher is released.   We should also remember Hunter's absurd focus on the incompetence of umpires  - while simultaneously ignoring the incompetence of the players on the field if they wore the right color uniform  - and his suggestion that umpires should be demoted to the minors just like ballplayers.   That process just impacted his own life.  

K.

He obviously was a homer and had annoying cliches, but I grew up listening to him on the radio and then later in life, on TV.  For nostalgic purposes, he will be missed.  I wish him luck. 

And he had been with the Orioles for 24 years.  It is not like the release of a AAA pitcher.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just hope they don't bring in a complete homer of a broadcaster.

But even if they do, I bet this saves the team some $!

Which is why I doubt Gary will be back. You could see what they were doing last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Chill, they're busy with all the other things they're doing this offseason.  Haven't you been paying attention?

Yes. It keeps me up at night. So much to think about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...