Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
eddie83

They asked Mancini and Santander to defer money

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, justcompete said:

Maybe the reason is more business minded then dire.

These are one year deals.

The team knows revenue at the Yard will be down and the product they are putting own on a major league level will be low quality.

So for this year they defer until revenues rebound.  

The Davis deal is the 'big lump" that many other rebuilding franchises didn't have to carry- to this amount.

I am hopeful this is more business minded creative thinking then a sign things are so rough.

 

That doesn't bode well for the future if this is how John plans to operate business.  Like I wrote earlier if another team comes calling, goodbye Elias and Sig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yes, you are the only sports fan to rail against team ownership on the internet. Every owner is super popular among message boards denizens and everyone else on this message board loves Peter G. Angelos and has never had a negative thing to say about him. Thank you for your service.

I laughed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a bad look. I guess ownership/Elias come from the Michael Scott/Wayne Gretzky school of thought, that you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So does all my speculation about them cost cutting still seem unlikely?

They have stated that they are focusing on building a strong talent pipeline while not spending on the big league club. As pathetic as this and the MASN business looks, they are doing exactly what they said. They have put their money where their mouth is when it comes to player development. You have accused them of cutting corners in that regard as well. So no, you don't get to take a victory lap for something that was plainly obvious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This, the firing of broadcasting cornerstones.  I said in another thread that there was something rotten going on in Orioles ownership.

There is something really terrible happening at the heart of our baseball team.  There are too many alarms going off for there not to be.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This, the firing of broadcasting cornerstones.  I said in another thread that there was something rotten going on in Orioles ownership.

There is something really terrible happening at the heart of our baseball team.  There are too many alarms going off for there not to be.

At least they spent all the J15 money. If the choices were to have a pregame show and retain Bordick, Thorne and Hunter or go cheap in international player acquisition, I am glad they chose the former.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Definitely a bad look. I guess ownership/Elias come from the Michael Scott/Wayne Gretzky school of thought, that you miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.

I don’t think this is on Elias at all. He doesn’t control the money, ownership does. 
 

It’s like when people - not saying you - blame or praise a GM over spending or lack thereof. 
 

Looks like a payroll under 60M and they are trying to defer $1.5M. Things must be pretty bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LTO's said:

They have stated that they are focusing on building a strong talent pipeline while not spending on the big league club. As pathetic as this and the MASN business looks, they are doing exactly what they said. They have put their money where their mouth is when it comes to player development. You have accused them of cutting corners in that regard as well. So no, you don't get to take a victory lap for something that was plainly obvious.

I have no issue with not spending on FA’s right now, none. The whole argument about teams tanking is the most overstated and weak argument going on right now. If you don’t have a core of talent, FA isn’t going to help.  
 

That said when you let go of a bunch of people on the business side, broadcasters and now asking players who relatively speaking make peanuts it’s an awful look. 
 

I may not like but I can stomach not spending on an Iglesias or Alberto. Cutting back on pre and post game shows and now this is pretty pathetic. 
 

Since all 30 teams spend on Int talent and player development that isn’t something they deserve any credit for. It’s a requirement, not a bonus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think this is on Elias at all. He doesn’t control the money, ownership does. 
 

It’s like when people - not saying you - blame or praise a GM over spending or lack thereof. 
 

Looks like a payroll under 60M and they are trying to defer $1.5M. Things must be pretty bad. 

Yes, the O's have the 28th or 29th largest payroll.  They should be under less financial constraints than just about any other team.  I'm not expecting them to add big multi-year contracts, but its a shock when they seem to be cutting basic costs of other franchises.  MASN is a cash cow, so to cut production costs from something that is making tons of money makes no sense.  The actual O's franchise can't be losing much money, less than just about any other franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems odd to do too younger guys that don’t have lot of financial savings built up.  Why wouldn’t you go to someone like Cobb or Davis who I think would possibly give them a deferral. I think if you went to Davis and said we are not sure we will  play the entire season so you might not get your full salary this year.  We will guarantee you the full amount if you let us defer $5 million of that amount you get this year.  That would seem like a pretty decent gamble for Davis as I think we might play like 144 games or so instead of 162, and not like he needs it right now.  Also if you are penny pinching why spend all that money on international signings this year  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Orioles will have about the lowest payroll in baseball this year and they can't afford to pay coaches or broadcasters?! Bro, sell the team. Cash out for yourselves and stop embarrassing the city. Why would you own a baseball team if you can't pay for baseball players? Or even coaches and broadcasters? 

By 2022, all games will be day games since we can't afford to turn the lights on. No TV either, only a radio broadcast done by a local high school Radio Club. Players must bring quarters to the stadium to wash their uniforms in the locker room. The groundskeepers will be replaced by me and my push lawnmower. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Since all 30 teams spend on Int talent and player development that isn’t something they deserve any credit for. It’s a requirement, not a bonus. 

I totally agree with this. I'm just saying, despite how angry it makes me and others, the front office has not lied about anything they said since the day ownership was transferred. Peter was wrong to not delve into the international pool but he did spend money on the team when they were competitive. Maybe something bad is brewing but maybe they really are just trying to improve their profit margins as much as they can to recoup the money they lost this past year.  I'm going to choose to remain optimistic and not doom post like everyone else. They are on their way to having quite the farm system with young talent already at the ML level. I'll enjoy that at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So does all my speculation about them cost cutting still seem unlikely?

Way to go out on a limb there.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not saying this story not true just seems like a dumb idea for $1.5 million.  There are thousands of ways a major league team could do to make an extra 1.5 million. They could offer advertisement of logos on uniform or the outfield wall just seems like this one of worst ways to try and be cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Yes, you are the only sports fan to rail against team ownership on the internet. Every owner is super popular among message boards denizens and everyone else on this message board loves Peter G. Angelos and has never had a negative thing to say about him. Thank you for your service.

Well, there are a lot of people on here (both in the past and currently) who complain if you bad mouth ownership and they think the brothers are fine.  

Obviously they are wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...