Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LookinUp

O’s Sign Galvis. 1/$1.25 million

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes.  The reports on Henderson out of the satellite camp last summer were encouraging.  Westburg seems to have some good upside, too.  

 

 

Henderson can hit .400 this year in the MiL and there is no way he will be up in 2022.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Guess they found the extra million to cover this signing by dumping all the sportscasters

Haha, beat me to it. I was going to say, "And now we see where Thorne's money went"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

K, if you say so.

You honestly think there is a chance he is up by 2022?  We all are high on the kid but my guess is we will have to fill SS in 2022 from the outside.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm all in on Grenier.

If his glove is real good could be an option in 2022.  
 

I see I missed the green font again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eddie83 said:

You honestly think there is a chance he is up by 2022?  We all are high on the kid but my guess is we will have to fill SS in 2022 from the outside.  

Well if he hits a legit .400 as you suggested this year...

I wouldn't bank on him being up by 2022, but it's possible.  He'd be 21 in June of 2022.  He'd have to have an outstanding 2021 minor league season and carry it over to the start of 2022 in order to get promoted.  I'm sure we'll hear CoC's thoughts on the Orioles gaming his service clock at some point.

All depends on how well he does.  But I do think that if he's up in 2022, that's a good thing...means he's turned into a stud.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if he hits a legit .400 as you suggested this year...

I wouldn't bank on him being up by 2022, but it's possible.  He'd be 21 in June of 2022.  He'd have to have an outstanding 2021 minor league season and carry it over to the start of 2022 in order to get promoted.  I'm sure we'll hear CoC's thoughts on the Orioles gaming his service clock at some point.

All depends on how well he does.  But I do think that if he's up in 2022, that's a good thing...means he's turned into a stud.

Of course they will play the service time game with him. 
 

Only way I could see any scenario he could be up is a Manny type situation. Club is somehow in contention and has a hole to fill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Galvis is basically the same as Iglesias.  There is no loss here.  It’s all gain.

How is he the same as Iglesias defensively? 

Galvis had a -3 OAA and -4% success added at SS last year compared to Igelisas at 3 OAA and 5% SA. That's a 6 OAA difference and 9% success added  difference. 

If you wanted those numbers defensively I think Sanchez or Martin could have done that. Heck, maybe even Urias. 

Now, he was much better in 2019 and 2018, so why the big drop off? I worry when players entering the season at 31 and coming off a big drop in defensive ability. Now maybe something was bothering him, I don't know, and I guess he's cheap enough, but those statcast offensive numbers are pretty putrid and if he's not going to bring a great glove, then why not give those PAs to Martin or even Urias?

I guess in a year where it probably doesn't matter, I just don't see how this upgrades us all that much.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

How is he the same as Iglesias defensively? 

Galvis had a -3 OAA and -4& success added at SS last year compared to Igelisas at 3 OAA and 5% SA. That's a 6 OAA difference and 9% success added  difference. 

If you wanted those numbers defensively I think Sanchez or Martin could have done that. Heck, maybe even Urias. 

Now, he was much better in 2019 and 2018, so why the big drop off? I worry when players entering the season at 31 and coming off a big drop in defensive ability. Now maybe something was bothering him, I don't know, and I guess he's cheap enough, but those statcast offensive numbers are pretty putrid and if he's not going to bring a great glove, then why not give those PAs to Martin or even Urias?

I guess in a year where it probably doesn't matter, I just don't see how this upgrades us all that much.

If Galvis’ glove is as bad as you say then he may not last half a season before Martin is up. They have to think he is superior to Martin. Will find out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If Galvis’ glove is as bad as you say then he may not last half a season before Martin is up. They have to think he is superior to Martin. Will find out. 

I didn't watch him last year but he had a serious decline in defensive value last year after being one of the best the years before. Now again, maybe something was bothering him or maybe he put on some weight and has it off now, i don't know. I'm not necessarily against this move, and I don't really think Martin or Urias are every day SS at the big league level, but I guess I also don't see him as being a big help.

But, as it's been pointed out, it's pretty clear that winning ball games is not a huge priority for Elias yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

You honestly think there is a chance he is up by 2022?  We all are high on the kid but my guess is we will have to fill SS in 2022 from the outside.  

If 2022 is like 2012, and Gunnar Henderson plus one whole summer of "Skill Development" can approach Machado's precocity.

I do hope the need to slide to 3B is for something a bit more fun than JJ Hardy though!

If Henderson can outplay Westburg for the Baysox SS gig and hold his own at 19/20 in AA, I don't know where else but the next year picture there is to go (we do like AAA MVP awards though).

With all the thoroughbred hype, an Aberdeen/Delmarva starting assignment pair for these two is "C'mon man" material.   Vavra was a college guy who went to the Sally and was MVP, but he was a 3rd rounder.

I grant AA for either of them is a big ask, but don't know how you work it if you think both are SS and need the game reps.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly in so far as he owes most of his career to his glove, it might be his First Half 2021 edge on Martin is his bat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

If 2022 is like 2012, and Gunnar Henderson plus one whole summer of "Skill Development" can approach Machado's precocity.

I do hope the need to slide to 3B is for something a bit more fun than JJ Hardy though!

If Henderson can outplay Westburg for the Baysox SS gig and hold his own at 19/20 in AA, I don't know where else but the next year picture there is to go (we do like AAA MVP awards though).

With all the thoroughbred hype, an Aberdeen/Delmarva starting assignment pair for these two is "C'mon man" material.   Vavra was a college guy who went to the Sally and was MVP, but he was a 3rd rounder.

I grant AA for either of them is a big ask, but don't know how you work it if you think both are SS and need the game reps.

I think Gunnar is in A ball this year to start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Oddly in so far as he owes most of his career to his glove, it might be his First Half 2021 edge on Martin is his bat.

Entirely possible. Not to make him out to be Cal but his durability has been a plus. Guy has played a ton of games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...