Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LookinUp

O’s Sign Galvis. 1/$1.25 million

Recommended Posts

It's January 2021, I'm not mad about the dumpster driving.  he's decent fielder, support the young pitching - I get it.  

January 2022 we better not be dumpster diving anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Galvis is a major league shortstop.  
The Orioles didn’t have a major league shortstop.  
It’s a cheap, one-year, stop gap deal.  Sounds about right to me.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

How is he the same as Iglesias defensively? 

Galvis had a -3 OAA and -4% success added at SS last year compared to Igelisas at 3 OAA and 5% SA. That's a 6 OAA difference and 9% success added  difference. 

If you wanted those numbers defensively I think Sanchez or Martin could have done that. Heck, maybe even Urias. 

Now, he was much better in 2019 and 2018, so why the big drop off? I worry when players entering the season at 31 and coming off a big drop in defensive ability. Now maybe something was bothering him, I don't know, and I guess he's cheap enough, but those statcast offensive numbers are pretty putrid and if he's not going to bring a great glove, then why not give those PAs to Martin or even Urias?

I guess in a year where it probably doesn't matter, I just don't see how this upgrades us all that much.

I just dont understand why anyone would be excited about this move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I just dont understand why anyone would be excited about this move.

Me either, but apparently they believe Galvis is a significantly better player then he's been over the last few years offensively and the major drop off last year defensively was apparently an aberration, because players normally get better at 31. 

I don't hate this move, I just don't see what it does all that much. I think they could have player Sanchez at SS and probably gotten the same defense and allowed Valaika or Urias to play 2B every day to see what they have. But hey, why not bring in a 31-year old with bad defensive numbers last year and well below average stick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteveA said:

So you make clearly incorrect statements about the signing, then when called on it you say who cares, they don't want to win.

Fine.  That tells us all they need to know about your posts.  Any point you make about the Orioles, I am just going to ignore you because who cares, they aren't trying to win.

I said I was exaggerating! I'm not incorrect in saying that this move is "Dumpster Diving" or the Bottom of Bargain Bin signing!

And as @Tony-OH said they could've just gave the at bats to Martin or someone else that we have playing for the minimum.

Or draft a guy in the rule 5 that perhaps has a future in MLB baseball.

Like

Lenyn Sosa, SS, Alfredo Rodriguez, SS , Wenceel Perez, SS , Livan Soto, SS , Leonardo Rivas, SS , Omar Estevez, 2B/SS,  Wander Javier, SS , Arquimedes Gamboa SS, Jordy Barley SS, Kevin Smith SS/3B

Players that I highlighted

1) Wander Javier 60 ARM/60 GLOVE

2) Livan Soto   55 ARM/ 60 GLOVE /50 HIT

3) Leonardo Rivas 60 ARM/60 GLOVE/55 HIT (***BB PROSPECTUS 2020)

4) Arquimedes Gamboa 60 ARM/60 GLOVE /60 RUN

5) Jordy Barley 60 ARM/ 55 GLOVE/60RUN

6) Kevin Smith  60 ARM/ 55 GLOVE

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020

 

AND DONT BE A TROLL!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Me either, but apparently they believe Galvis is a significantly better player then he's been over the last few years offensively and the major drop off last year defensively was apparently an aberration, because players normally get better at 31. 

I don't hate this move, I just don't see what it does all that much. I think they could have player Sanchez at SS and probably gotten the same defense and allowed Valaika or Urias to play 2B every day to see what they have. But hey, why not bring in a 31-year old with bad defensive numbers last year and well below average stick?

Bad move and I am not going to be excited about it!

I gave a list in my last posts of guys they could've taken a shot on in the rule 5. Obviously some of them aren't ready but who cares. They would've saved around 1 million dollars and as long as his glove plays who cares if you are signing a guy that going to get on base as such a low percentage anyway.

I honestly thought Elias would move away from the low OBP guys that have been a staple of Orioles baseball for a long time.

I understand trading Iglesias for resources ....But I don't see how signing this guy does anything but cost extra money that the Orioles are showing signs of financial distress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I said I was exaggerating! I'm not incorrect in saying that this move is "Dumpster Diving" or the Bottom of Bargain Bin signing!

And as @Tony-OH said they could've just gave the at bats to Martin or someone else that we have playing for the minimum.

Or draft a guy in the rule 5 that perhaps has a future in MLB baseball.

Like

Lenyn Sosa, SS, Alfredo Rodriguez, SS , Wenceel Perez, SS , Livan Soto, SS , Leonardo Rivas, SS , Omar Estevez, 2B/SS,  Wander Javier, SS , Arquimedes Gamboa SS, Jordy Barley SS, Kevin Smith SS/3B

Players that I highlighted

1) Wander Javier 60 ARM/60 GLOVE

2) Livan Soto   55 ARM/ 60 GLOVE /50 HIT

3) Leonardo Rivas 60 ARM/60 GLOVE/55 HIT (***BB PROSPECTUS 2020)

4) Arquimedes Gamboa 60 ARM/60 GLOVE /60 RUN

5) Jordy Barley 60 ARM/ 55 GLOVE/60RUN

6) Kevin Smith  60 ARM/ 55 GLOVE

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-2020

 

AND DONT BE A TROLL!!

 

I'm not trolling you when I click on Wander (no, I'm not Franco) Javier and see that he last hit .177 and has an injury history.

Livan Soto hit .220 in AAA ball.  

The scouting report on Omar Estevez says he doesn't have the tools to stick at SS in the majors.  

There's a reason these guys were out there and didn't get selected.  

Maybe some of them do have a future but with Galvis you know what you're going to get.  If they signed him to a multi year deal, I'd be upset by it but it's a one year deal...it's fine.  

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not trolling you when I click on Wander (no, I'm not Franco) Javier and see that he last hit .177 and has an injury history.

Livan Soto hit .220 in AAA ball.  

The scouting report on Omar Estevez says he doesn't have the tools to stick at SS in the majors.  

There's a reason these guys were out there and didn't get selected.  

Maybe some of them do have a future but with Galvis you know what you're going to get.  If they signed him to a multi year deal, I'd be upset by it but it's a one year deal...it's fine.  

 

Hey I have no problem with discussing the merits of the players. If you look at the post I responded to was disrespectful and dumb.

I believe the Orioles bottom fished here and if a guy is going to give you less than great defense and a .300 OBP why not just go with a kid with elite defensive potential that probably won’t hit either?

And anybody who has followed Elias he’s been pretty direct about not caring about winning.

I think there is little chance this guy ends up being a trade chip as he’d really need an uptick in production and to prove his defensive lapse wasn’t due to age....Long shots at best.

All I did to come up with that list was go to the link and determine who wasn’t protected. Then looked for guys that graded 60 or 55 in glove and arm. Even if the guy you select has just a 10% chance of being anything he’s a better option than wasting an extra million on this guy in a year where money is allegedly tight.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hey I have no problem with discussing the merits of the players. If you look at the post I responded to was disrespectful and dumb.

I believe the Orioles bottom fished here and if a guy is going to give you less than great defense and a .300 OBP why not just go with a kid with elite defensive potential that probably won’t hit either?

And anybody who has followed Elias he’s been pretty direct about not caring about winning.

I think there is little chance this guy ends up being a trade chip as he’d really need an uptick in production and to prove his defensive lapse wasn’t due to age....Long shots at best.

All I did to come up with that list was go to the link and determine who wasn’t protected. Then looked for guys that graded 60 or 55 in glove and arm. Even if the guy you select has just a 10% chance of being anything he’s a better option than wasting an extra million on this guy in a year where money is allegedly tight.
 

 

Meh.  I dunno.

I agree that money is probably tight but we don't know exactly how tight it is.  It's obviously not tight enough to give a SS a 1.25 million contract.  

At the end of the day, the rule 5 guys have issues, Galvis has issues but to me it's whatever.  I think they're more hoping that an SS steps up in our system this summer, such as Frobby and I discussed.  

But even if the Rule 5 guy isn't great, you probably can't send him down, you'd have to offer him back to his original team.  So you've got that stupid rule that makes you carry that guy all year or else.  If it turns out that guy isn't ready, he's most likely going back to his original team and then at that point you need to have a backup, that's probably Ritchie Martin.

I don't think Galvis is particularly great but it's a one year deal and he's proven.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Me either, but apparently they believe Galvis is a significantly better player then he's been over the last few years offensively and the major drop off last year defensively was apparently an aberration, because players normally get better at 31. 

I don't hate this move, I just don't see what it does all that much. I think they could have player Sanchez at SS and probably gotten the same defense and allowed Valaika or Urias to play 2B every day to see what they have. But hey, why not bring in a 31-year old with bad defensive numbers last year and well below average stick?

I look at it as infield depth

Galvis at SS or 2B

Sanchez  2B/SS/3B

Valiaka   2B or maybe 3B  with a split contract; has an option

Ruiz    3B has an option

Urias  2B/SS 3B has an option;  We haven't seem much of his yet.  Interesting bat

Martin SS/2B probably goes to AAA; has options

Lets them fight it out in camp.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I look at it as infield depth

Galvis at SS or 2B

Sanchez  2B/SS/3B

Valiaka   2B or maybe 3B  with a split contract; has an option

Ruiz    3B has an option

Urias  2B/SS 3B has an option;  We haven't seem much of his yet.  Interesting bat

Martin SS/2B probably goes to AAA; has options

Lets them fight it out in camp.

 

I wrote a bunch of crap then deleted to write this... Just sign Villar. Blah blah Switch hitters. Blah blah Athletes. Blah blah no Infield depth. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a decent to plus SS (and could slide to 2B or 3B... but won't) who won't hit. Had a career year hitting in 2019, don't expect that to continue.

I don't really care who we got (except that he's a well-capable SS) don't care about who as much as the SS position is FILLED. One glaring hole checked off.

Now get a middling starter and Go to war, Miss Agnes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I just dont understand why anyone would be excited about this move.

I don’t understand how anyone can be upset that Iglesias was traded.

And no one is excited about this move.  We are just accepting of it.  
 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I just dont understand why anyone would be excited about this move.

I must have missed the expressions of excitement.    Where can I find them?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Currently, the pitching staff is 14th in WAR (in the majors), 10th best in walk rate, 17th in total ERA and 7th in BP ERA. Nice numbers considering we apparently have the worst catchers in baseball.  I’m shocked that they could be this awful defensively, game calling, framing, etc...and yet we are finding some early success after building on last year, which wasn’t as bad as suspected. It’s almost as if the catchers defense can be overcome by other factors! (Or people are just clueless as to how to actually judge a C defense)
    • The issue is that you are intentionally taking the GMs statement that the Os are not measuring success by wins as meaning something else....that the Orioles are not trying to win games. And then extrapolating that into the Orioles are trying to lose games.    That simply isn’t what is going on. And I think you know that. I think in general folks are on board with the rebuild. We are also at the point where we are about as far from being competitive as we have been in a long time.      I don’t know how much the pandemic has effected the rebuild, but minor leagues have been shut down for a loooong time.  I can’t help but think it probably cost us a full year.    I don’t know if Hyde will be the manager in 2 months or 2 years.  I really don’t worry about that at all. Right now, I just want to see the Os get better and develop talent.    I would say this is the last year the Os can continue with a mindset of we are not measuring success with wins. I think it is likely that success next year will be marked by small improvement to something along the lines of 75-80 wins.    I am trying to enjoy the moments.    The moments Mancini reminds us of what he can be. The moments Mountcastle reminds us that he could be in the mix for ROY. The moments John Means looks like a real #1 or #2. And yes the moment we get to see AR, Diaz and others crack the lineup.    It’s not the same as fretting over when Hyde rests Santander or who he pitches in the 8th or 9th. But this ain’t Toronto and whether or not we use our historically good closer in the 6th, 11th or ever. Hyde is gonna learn or he won’t. In the end, of the GM gets the talent part, getting someone to manage will be a breeze. 
    • Personally, I'm surprised Sisco didn't get charged with a PB.  He has looked bad this year.
    • Yea, to think some people actually bought the idea that no outside food had to do with covid.
    • I’m not going until I don’t have to wear a mask outside. MASN will do just fine until this mess is over and people aren’t ratting others out for mask vs. no mask.
    • Yeah, hard to see how there could be an instinct (in any useful definition of the term) for a heavily rule-regulated game like baseball. I think the "feel," "knack," etc. for a sport arises from early inculcation and many years of repetition, coaching, and emulation. Even "tools," though necessary and closer to what one might consider innate abilities, can't provide that. In fact, I think that there are just as many times that a "hunch" (the closest I can come at the moment to defining instinct) leads to bad results as good ones, e.g. trying to take an extra base or steal one at the wrong time or in the wrong game situation or all sorts of guesses, such as what type of pitch will be thrown or where a ball is going to be hit, when not based in study or prep. Sometimes a manager's role is to rein in what the player's "instinct" is, such as when a pitcher is convinced they can go longer, but actually should be taken out.
    • April 18, following series win vs Ranger: Win Div: 0.0% Win Wild Card 0.0% Make Playoffs 0.0% It was fun while it lasted, there is now zero chance.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...