Frobby

Comparing the AL East Farm Systems - Fangraphs’ Take So Far

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Would you rather have the Tampa farm system or the Yankees bank account?

Bank accounts are forever.   Farm system rankings come and go.   That said, Tampa is in a nice spot with a very good current team and a lot of talent on the way.  They should be a contender for the foreseeable future.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Bank accounts are forever.   Farm system rankings come and go.   That said, Tampa is in a nice spot with a very good current team and a lot of talent on the way.  They should be a contender for the foreseeable future.   

A farm system like this one coupled with their intelligence could last this team for years and years..it leads to deals that lead to more  deals, etc...

Money gives you more margin for error but usually spending money leads to mistakes.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A farm system like this one coupled with their intelligence could last this team for years and years..it leads to deals that lead to more  deals, etc...

Money gives you more margin for error but usually spending money leads to mistakes.

Assuming a team with money doesn't hire their brain trust away again.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Assuming a team with money doesn't hire their brain trust away again.

And how much has that hurt them?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And how much has that hurt them?

Didn't they have a downturn that coincided with the first exodus?  With those leaving getting rings while the Rays don't have one?

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't they have a downturn that coincided with the first exodus?  With those leaving getting rings while the Rays don't have one?

They already were in the downturn (77-85) when Friedman and Maddon departed.    

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They already were in the downturn (77-85) when Friedman and Maddon departed.    

And they recovered pretty quickly.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, Frobby said:

Overall, Fangraphs has evaluated 12 farm systems so far, and the Orioles rank 5th in that group:

TBR $558 mm (62 players)

MIN $314.5 mm (39)

PIT $263.5 mm (51)

CWS $232 mm (34)

BAL $230.5 mm (45)

If Akin (45 FV P = $4 mm) is added in, we squeak past the White Sox.   

Still watching the Fangraphs evaluations roll in.   Right now the O’s rank 8th of 18, with Detroit ($360 mm, 42 players), Arizona ($300 mm, 46 players) and Atlanta ($256.5 mm, 30 players) ranked ahead of us in addition to the ones listed above.   Among the 12 teams still to be evaluated, there are three that were ahead of us last year (San Diego, Seattle and Miami) and I’m guessing they will remain ahead of us.    So, we could end up ranked about 11th.   Decent but not as high as other rankings.   

One thing about Fangraphs is they weight the top end talent extremely highly.   That’s how a system like Atlanta’s that has only 30 prospects ranked 35+ or higher beats our system which has 45 such prospects.