Jump to content
Roll Tide

Trezza: Orioles 'listening,' but how likely is a trade?

Recommended Posts

Mancini isn’t being dealt.  It’s just not realistic to think they will get an offer worth trading him for.

Santander could get dealt but it just depends on what Elias is looking for.  Is he looking for a fair deal based off of what Santander has been thus far or does he project him to be healthier and better than he has been and wants to be compensated that way?  
 

If it’s the former, I think Santander gets dealt.  If it’s the latter, he stays and is dealt at the deadline or the offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of a nothingburger of an article.  I mean, I know Trezza has to write stuff but it's just an article that encapsulates why Santander and Mancini could be traded or not be traded.

@Bahama O's Fan, Davis better not be playing at all.  IIRC, the rosters are 26 men but we're essentially playing with a 25 man roster because Davis is worthless.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The most important thing in that article to me is Elias stating that they plan to play Mancini primarily at 1b. Is that meaning very little Davis?

I would hope so.  Davis should start once every two weeks, max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I would hope so.  Davis should start once every two weeks, max.

I think he will find a pothole that causes a nagging injury. I don't see him spending much time on the active roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MurphDogg said:

I think he will find a pothole that causes a nagging injury. I don't see him spending much time on the active roster.

Hope so.  I imagine the O's will want to se that 26th spot for an extra arm, extra useful bench player, and not have it clogged up with the baseball waste that is Chris Davis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Hope so.  I imagine the O's will want to se that 26th spot for an extra arm, extra useful bench player, and not have it clogged up with the baseball waste that is Chris Davis.

The thing with Davis is, even if he somehow were to be decent again, it STILL wouldn't be worth playing him because they need to get at-bats for Mountcastle, Santander, Mancini and Stewart at the LF/RF/1B/DH spots.

I don't think Stewart will be a contributor to the team when they hope to contend (say, 2023), but it is at least theoretically possible as a first year arbitration eligible player that he could be around in 2023. He should get as many at-bats as possible until Yusniel Diaz comes up and takes his spot as another guy who is probably not good enough to be a starter for a team with playoff ambitions.

Likewise with Mancini, who will be a free agent after 2022, he should either be traded or extended within the next year and should play as much as his health allows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think he will find a pothole that causes a nagging injury. I don't see him spending much time on the active roster.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic but I’m hoping he is released as soon as there’s clarity whether they have to pay the entire salary or if the season is shortened this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oriole said:

Maybe I’m being too optimistic but I’m hoping he is released as soon as there’s clarity whether they have to pay the entire salary or if the season is shortened this year. 

I doubt it. There is labor uncertainty for 2022, which could further save money if games are missed and he is still on the roster.

I don't think he gets released until a new CBA is signed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The thing with Davis is, even if he somehow were to be decent again, it STILL wouldn't be worth playing him because they need to get at-bats for Mountcastle, Santander, Mancini and Stewart at the LF/RF/1B/DH spots.

I don't think Stewart will be a contributor to the team when they hope to contend (say, 2023), but it is at least theoretically possible as a first year arbitration eligible player that he could be around in 2023. He should get as many at-bats as possible until Yusniel Diaz comes up and takes his spot as another guy who is probably not good enough to be a starter for a team with playoff ambitions.

Likewise with Mancini, who will be a free agent after 2022, he should either be traded or extended within the next year and should play as much as his health allows.

I agree with all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

If the hope is that Davis pulls his back shoveling his driveway (I KNOW he lives in Texas, shush) then why not just cut bait and let him go.  Its lost money any way you cut it.

 

I think the possibility is if the league plays less games due to COVID and he is on the roster, he gets paid a prorated salary. If they release him, he gets the full salary, no matter the amount of games played

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:


Seems like the returns will have to substantial for a trade to be made. If the Marlins, Braves etc were hoping for a salary dump discount it’s not happening.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-general-manager-mike-elias-on-trade-rumors

 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kind of a nothingburger of an article.  I mean, I know Trezza has to write stuff but it's just an article that encapsulates why Santander and Mancini could be traded or not be traded.

@Bahama O's Fan, Davis better not be playing at all.  IIRC, the rosters are 26 men but we're essentially playing with a 25 man roster because Davis is worthless.

Considering we cut pre/psot game shows, announcers, coaches and seems like they are limited dollars all over, it's good that it isn't purely dumping for dumping purposes.  Iglesias bought some guys that are interesting (even if there is a dump element...).

We spent in J2 and are at least keeping the value we have without cutting loose for nothing. 

It's a small something, but when they asked these guys to take deferments, I wasn't sure they wouldn't just trade for scraps.  Now tomorrow he could trade for scraps and call them diamonds in the rough, but at least some things might be ok to spend a little on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...