Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've seen several 2021 mock drafts and so far we have been linked to Jaden Hill, Jud Fabian, Matt McLain, Colton Cowser, Braylon Bishop, and Jack Leiter. Who's your favorite? I would hope for Jack Leiter but I seriously doubt he will be available at number 5. My second choice would be Jud Fabian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jud Fabian has really managed to come on of late.  He has rebounded after a disastrous start to the season.   However, there is a ton of swing and miss that scares me.  64 K's in 190 AB's at the college level portends future big strikeout numbers.  He's firmly back in the top 10 consideration after almost falling out of the first round altogether...

I base my decision based only on video I've watched, I haven't seen any of these guys in person:

Jack Leiter

Kumar Rocker

Jordan Lawlor

Marcelo Meyer

Brady House

Henry Davis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft/2021/5/11/2021-mlb-mock-draft-40-zwtc9

5. Baltimore Orioles

Harry Ford, C/2B/OF, North Cobb

Just a year removed from surprising the masses when they selected Arkansas outfielder Heston Kjerstad no. 2 overall, Baltimore opts for the massive upside of Georgia prep Harry Ford here. The O’s have shown increased interest over the past few weeks in the North Cobb product, spending extraordinary time with the bluechip backstop. High school catchers selected in the top five are very rare, but Ford offers an explosive, athletic profile with tools that could allow him to stick behind the dish long term, or maybe even second base where Baltimore seems to like him. Besides the athleticism, Ford has had one of the most potent bats on the entire prep circuit leading the nation with 13 HRs in major events and showcases. He’s able to create huge bat speed and shows impressive barrel control. The Georgia Tech commit is a true plus runner with a gym rat mentality off the field. If Ford would have been at any other position in high school, he would be in every Top 5 conversation, so seeing him off the board here should come as no surprise.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Ford projects as either a catcher or second baseman?  Those two positions seem like very different skill sets.  If he's a plus runner, I don't think you want to ruin those knees putting him in the squat for his career, do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

So Ford projects as either a catcher or second baseman?  Those two positions seem like very different skill sets.  If he's a plus runner, I don't think you want to ruin those knees putting him in the squat for his career, do you?

We do have this one guy.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/biggicr01.shtml

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Obvious best case scenario comp is obvious.

Kid is 5'10"/200 as an 18 year-old.  That's pretty stout for a young second baseman (Biggio was a big-leaguer playing at 5-11/185).  If the O's are interested and have plans for him at 2B, keeping the weight down and the speed/quickness/range needed from a middle-infielder might be a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

Kid is 5'10"/200 as an 18 year-old.  That's pretty stout for a young second baseman (Biggio was a big-leaguer playing at 5-11/185).  If the O's are interested and have plans for him at 2B, keeping the weight down and the speed/quickness/range needed from a middle-infielder might be a challenge.

Schoop was a house at 22.

Not saying that he isn't atypically sized for a second baseman but it can work.

That being said I can't recall anyone picking a HS 2B in the top 5 of the MLB draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, doccat said:

I saw a mlb.com mock draft today that had us taking Sal Frelick to save money against the slot like last year....

Nothing against Frelick, but if they did this I'd have to find another team to follow.   The picks after Frelick were: Rocker, Lawlar, House, Watson....

Actually that one is on CBS sports, not mlb.com.   Just saw that too.,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2021 at 4:46 PM, doccat said:

I saw a mlb.com mock draft today that had us taking Sal Frelick to save money against the slot like last year....

Nothing against Frelick, but if they did this I'd have to find another team to follow.   The picks after Frelick were: Rocker, Lawlar, House, Watson....

It's not like they'd be doing it to save money though, they'd still be spending the same amount of money, just spread over more people. 

Given the uncertainties in the mlb draft, if you're not in love with anyone at 1-5, and you have several people grouped together, makes sense to take the cheapest of those options, and then try to add depth to the system. 

I get being frustrated with them being cheap, but this isn't really an example of that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, seak05 said:

It's not like they'd be doing it to save money though, they'd still be spending the same amount of money, just spread over more people. 

Given the uncertainties in the mlb draft, if you're not in love with anyone at 1-5, and you have several people grouped together, makes sense to take the cheapest of those options, and then try to add depth to the system. 

I get being frustrated with them being cheap, but this isn't really an example of that 

I know folks laugh about it but I'd once again like to point out that the O's left the most slot money unspent last year.

I'd also like to say that given the uncertainties in the MLB draft you should go with the BPA, to maximize your chances of getting a difference maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh great, now I have to worry about three names that I don't want to hear called at pick 5:  Davis, Ford and Frelick.  It would be absurd to pick Ford or Frelick when Kumar Rocker or Jordan Lawler are available.  Three years ago when the system was barren, it might have made sense to go underslot at 1:5 to get more good prospects.  Now the system is at a point where it's more important to get premium talent as opposed to getting a couple of extra guys with upside. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...