Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I suppose that might be based on what it will take to sign a player.  If player A can be signed for slot and player B can be signed for 1 million below slot, then player B might move ahead of player A.  I hope they just don't go for slot savings.  Not a big fan of that method, plus we have to hear forever about how Baltimore "always" goes under slot, because 1 out of 2 drafts is always. 

Technically it's two out of two.  😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joelala said:

Agree with all of this. I think Cowser is a safe pick and will hit for average but yea the swing in its current iteration isn't built for a lot of power. Looks like he hits off his front foot a bit, and it’s kind of slappy. Also haven’t seen him in the field really but his gait doesn’t look as naturally athletic as some to me so I also wonder what added weight will do to him speed-wise. 

I agree. I mean, they can get him into a workout program and keep him lean. Do some HIT training and lots of stretching and such, perhaps that maximizes his athletic performance without losing his speed. I would be curious what his shuttle and exit velo numbers are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I agree. I mean, they can get him into a workout program and keep him lean. Do some HIT training and lots of stretching and such, perhaps that maximizes his athletic performance without losing his speed. I would be curious what his shuttle and exit velo numbers are. 

Me too. He doesn’t look like a very explosive, quick twitch player from the limited stuff I’ve seen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

It looks like Davis will hit with power, and a solid average. The plate discipline is good as well. He looks athletic enough to play a corner OF or INF position. The arm is enough for RF or 3B for sure. If they take Davis, it should be for the bat and not because of his defense at catcher. I cannot support taking a guy at 1-5 to DH him. 

Cowser is a guy you can project more power with added strength, but what is the cost to his speed/agility. More of a flat plane guy, so a swing adjustment is necessary to get more power. But honestly, I don’t think I would do that. He is going to be a high average guy. Just keep working on the swing decisions and keep the high barrel rate. More of a gap to gap guy. He can always add strength and power down the road. I am not sure he is a CF, have not seen enough to make that call. What I have read is that he should be able to stay in CF. 

But what about his defense at 3B? There is a reason it's called the 'hot corner', and you have to be able to catch the grounders there before you can show off your arm on throws to 1B.

I know that Torre and Bench both moved to 3B, but I don't know how good defensively they were. They may have just been put there to extend their careers and get their bats in the lineups.

And if you put Davis at third, where is Henderson going to play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, panick said:

But what about his defense at 3B? There is a reason it's called the 'hot corner', and you have to be able to catch the grounders there before you can show off your arm on throws to 1B.

I know that Torre and Bench both moved to 3B, but I don't know how good defensively they were. They may have just been put there to extend their careers and get their bats in the lineups.

And if you put Davis at third, where is Henderson going to play?

Davis is in college and Henderson is in single A. That bridge won’t have to be crossed for years, if ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joelala said:

Davis is in college and Henderson is in single A. That bridge won’t have to be crossed for years, if ever. 

Right, Davis would have to start off in the Gulf Coast League and work his way up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, Davis would have to start off in the Gulf Coast League and work his way up.

As long as he debuts by age 30 it’s fine. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, panick said:

But what about his defense at 3B? There is a reason it's called the 'hot corner', and you have to be able to catch the grounders there before you can show off your arm on throws to 1B.

I know that Torre and Bench both moved to 3B, but I don't know how good defensively they were. They may have just been put there to extend their careers and get their bats in the lineups.

And if you put Davis at third, where is Henderson going to play?

I agree. And the answer is, “I don’t know.” I have never seen him play 3B. He appears to be athletic enough to play there, but IDK. You’ll have to love the bat to take him at 1-5, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31782968/2021-mlb-mock-draft-30-kiley-mcdaniel-predicts-first-two-rounds
 

5. Baltimore Orioles

Kahlil Watson, SS, Wake Forest HS (NC), N.C. State commit

Baltimore is a wild card given GM Mike Elias' past in cutting heavily on high picks. The hot rumors are Colton Cowser or Henry Ford as the cut options and House, Watson or Davis as the options if they play it closer to slot. I think it's Watson a bit ahead of the other options right now.
 

8. Colorado Rockies

Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit HS (TX), Vanderbilt commit

There's some consensus building that the top prospect on my board will end up going eighth. It would likely be for over slot money because Lawlar would have a real shot at going 1-1 in two years since his age would make him sophomore-eligible. Along with Rocker, Lawlar appears to have mild interest at picks ahead of this and also seems like a longshot to go in the top four, somehow. I'll admit I don't totally understand why, but I think it's because Lawlar isn't the safest, most upside, highest floor, etc. among the four prep shortstops, so teams just take the most (blank) of the shortstops to choose from.
 


Btw, he predicts we take Cody Morrisette, a second baseman from BC, with the 41st pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keith Law with a new mock. He has the top 4 as Mayer, Rocker (!), Leiter, Davis.

5. Baltimore Orioles: Kahlil Watson, SS, Wake Forest (N.C.) HS

Yes, the Orioles are the team most likely to try to do something under slot here — I’ve mentioned Colton Cowser and Harry Ford here before. They could surprise with someone else too, but I really don’t think it’s going to be a pitcher.

If that is the top 4, I would be fine with Watson as the pick.

I wouldn't be upset with any of Davis, Watson, Lawler or House. Honestly, may make sense to play whoever doesn't go top 4 against each other, offer them all #6 slot and see who bites and save $360K to be spent later in the draft.

Seems to be a clear cut top 7 in this draft.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Passing Lawlar would really suck imo.  Not that we can’t get a good player but he is the guy to get if he’s there.

Lawler has a little more leverage than most high school top-10 picks as he would be a draft eligible sophomore. Law predicts he won't sign if he goes later than 6 and McDaniel seems to say the same thing, that it would require an overslot if he goes later than #6.

 

6. Arizona Diamondbacks: Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit College Prep of Dallas

I’ll offer this prediction as well: If Lawlar doesn’t go in the first six picks, he goes to Vanderbilt and tries to be 1-1 in 2023. (Lawlar is 19, so he’ll be draft-eligible as a sophomore in college.) The Diamondbacks also would love to get Watson or Leiter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Lawler has a little more leverage than most high school top-10 picks as he would be a draft eligible sophomore. Law predicts he won't sign if he goes later than 6 and McDaniel seems to say the same thing, that it would require an overslot if he goes later than #6.

 

6. Arizona Diamondbacks: Jordan Lawlar, SS, Jesuit College Prep of Dallas

I’ll offer this prediction as well: If Lawlar doesn’t go in the first six picks, he goes to Vanderbilt and tries to be 1-1 in 2023. (Lawlar is 19, so he’ll be draft-eligible as a sophomore in college.) The Diamondbacks also would love to get Watson or Leiter.

I call bs on that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...