Frobby

What facility improvements would you like to see at Camden Yards?

Notice I said “facility improvements.”    No lame jokes about putting a better team on the field.   I think we’d all agree that we’d prefer that to anything they could do to the facility.

I have to say, I have no complaints at all about the facility.   There are few things in life I enjoy more than an evening at Camden Yards, and it’s a beautiful place to see a game.   But since the O’s and MSA are talking about improvements, what would you do?

• Upvote 3

The worst parts about OPaCy are the limited view and obstructed view seating, especially in the lower reserve.  

But, I don’t think there is anything you can do about that.

Outside of that, keep focusing on better concessions (food and drinks/beer).  

I don’t think the park itself needs anything unless you want modernize the look of the concession stands or if any work is needed to the suites/club level.  

• Upvote 1

How about take a page out of the movie theater playbook and have sections that are reconfigured with big, comfortable, reclining chairs?

A Montgomery Burns sun-obscurer so the day games aren't so Death Valley hot.

Move the fences back 25'.

Rope off a section of deepest CF for standing room.

Seats on top of the warehouse.

Convert a section of seats into a standing terrace for the Orioles Ultras.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How about take a page out of the movie theater playbook and have sections that are reconfigured with big, comfortable, reclining chairs?

I won't sit in the sun on a summer day game. Death valley would feel like a day at the beach compared to that heat. It's crazy. 

I do like the movie theatre seating idea too. I think the CF bar thing went over very well. Finding a way to put a second one of those in might be a neat idea too. Maybe two more, so there's a RF and a LF version of them too. 

My biggest complaint of OPACY relative to other stadiums I've been to is no open concourse.  I don't know how feasible it is to change that....we'd probably have to remove some seating.

Maybe now is the perfect time!!

I'm part of the management team of a performing arts venue, which is obviously not a sports venue, but most of the facility upgrades I've seen all have to do with appealing to the luxury clientele.  So Drungo's idea of replacing standard seating with fewer, but more luxurious seating would seem likely.

In these days of having everything delivered, I could also see them finding ways of expanding concession delivery beyond the club level, even if this necessitates removing some seats.

I had a chance to take a tour of Globe Mail Park in Amarillo two years ago, which is a brand new park in the Texas League.  One unique feature of that place is that the press box - including the play-by-play announcers - is down the first base line.  I was told that the real estate behind home plate was just too valuable to "waste" on the press.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

High speed wifi throughout.  

Came hear to say this.

Otherwise there isn't really much I would do change OPACY. The biggest thing I hate is getting baked by the sun during day games, but I don't think there is much that can be done about that. 

Improved sound system, TVs in the terrace boxes, improved internet connectivity, get rid of the lag between the game on TVs and the game on the field, also would like to see more areas like the Flight Deck. Finally, maybe another area for kids. Right now there's just 1 area, but it's just in one area of the stadium, would like to see another on the other side. 

Just out of curiosity - is there any ball park with an open roof that is not hot in the summer when the sun is out during a day game?  Even in San Francisco - where you need to bring a jacket with you in the summer - gets hot if you are sitting in the sun.  

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I am puckering just thinking about seats on top of the warehouse.  lol

With the lower attendance we've seen over the past few decades of losing, I think a lot of your ideas about removing traditional seating and replacing it with bars or congregating areas would be cool.  Sarasota's Spring Training facility and Aberdeen are two examples I have been to that have picnic area seating where you can still enjoy the game, but in more of a social environment with friends than just sitting in a standard chair.

That said, I like to just sit and watch the game, and not have my back to the field, so I guess I'm in the "get off my lawn" crowd.  But I also think there is so much empty seats now, there is plenty of room for both seating options.