Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

The battles I want to see in ST

17 hours ago, connja said:

I also don't see Mullins as a threat to Hays.  Hays all be in the lineup.  but I do see a battle between Hays and DJ Stewart.  Not for the same position, odiously....but if Mullins shows he can play up the level of last year, I could see him starting, pushing one of the outfielders to DH leaving Stewart without a space.  Would make us a better defensive team. 

Doesn't that make the battle between Mullins and Stewart? Not a bad thought though. Stewart has to hit to keep his job for sure. Yusniel Diaz a threat as well. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Doesn't that make the battle between Mullins and Stewart? Not a bad thought though. Stewart has to hit to keep his job for sure. Yusniel Diaz a threat as well. 

Don't think Diaz has a shot to make the team out of camp even if he's the best player on the field.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't think Diaz has a shot to make the team out of camp even if he's the best player on the field.

Yea I think that’s likely accurate but he could be up very quickly if he “looks the part”. I don’t think they need to keep him down for long.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I think that’s likely accurate but he could be up very quickly if he “looks the part”. I don’t think they need to keep him down for long.

Once he "earns" his promotion.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once he "earns" his promotion.

Well, I don’t actually have a huge issue with them saying they want him to show he can be healthy but I also don’t see the need to worry about service time with him either:

On 2/20/2021 at 11:00 PM, connja said:

I also don't see Mullins as a threat to Hays.  Hays all be in the lineup.  but I do see a battle between Hays and DJ Stewart.  Not for the same position, odiously....but if Mullins shows he can play up the level of last year, I could see him starting, pushing one of the outfielders to DH leaving Stewart without a space.  Would make us a better defensive team. 

I agree.

I was surprised to see MLB.com project Mullins as starting CF over Hays.   I don't put much stock in it...

https://www.mlb.com/news/projecting-every-2021-mlb-lineup-rotation

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hyde said today he lets both of them play through ST and makes a decision before opening day.

They are both going to play plenty. Including being on the field together a fair amount.    But I’m expecting Hays to play more, if he’s healthy.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They are both going to play plenty. Including being on the field together a fair amount.    But I’m expecting Hays to play more, if he’s healthy.   

Which is huge if.   This off season Hays said in an interview that he intends to continue diving and climbing walls.  He says that is just the way he plays.    But its also part of the reason he goes on the IL.  His body gets beat up the way he does it IMO.   I project him plays less than 100 games because he has trouble staying on the field.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Which is huge if.   This off season Hays said in an interview that he intends to continue diving and climbing walls.  He says that is just the way he plays.    But its also part of the reason he goes on the IL.  His body gets beat up the way he does it IMO.   I project him plays less than 100 games because he has trouble staying on the field.

You may be right, but I don’t think Hays can or should change his game in that way.    

• Upvote 1