Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

The battles I want to see in ST

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

O's have six guys for 5 starting position position.   Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Santander and Stewart for 1B, DH, LF, CF and RF.    I can see Hyde doing a rotation where each guy sits once every six games.  Playing 5 out of 6 games would just keep players rested.

Someone will get injured for a day, a few days or more and that will take care of it.

I think we’ll see a good bit of all six.  When I did my OPS projections I allocated the PA this way:

Mancini 550

Mountcastle 550

Santander 550

Hays 450

Mullins 300

Stewart 175

(I also had Diaz in there for 150.)

It could vary quite a bit though, depending on who’s healthy and who performs well (or not).    Personally, I think it’s a really good mix.   
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, connja said:

Just realized that short of injury or Davis miraculously retiring/getting released, there are realistically no open spots for position players.  I can't see them taking less than 13 pitchers, which leaves 13 position players:

C - Severino and Sisco (2)

IF - Mancini, Sanchez, Galvis, Ruiz, Valaika, Davis (6)

OF - Mountcastle, Hays, Santander, Mullins, Stewart (5)

I would really like to see Urias make the team.  He can be a decent reserve, plus has some upside.  

Urias has options and Davis has potholes to step into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we’ll see a good bit of all six.  When I did my OPS projections I allocated the PA this way:

Mancini 550

Mountcastle 550

Santander 550

Hays 450

Mullins 300

Stewart 175

(I also had Diaz in there for 150.)

It could vary quite a bit though, depending on who’s healthy and who performs well (or not).    Personally, I think it’s a really good mix.   
 

 

But if  

Mancini is traded in July - 390 at bats

Hays holds to his 60% playing time became of injuries  370

Santander injury  history  77% played - 490

Mountcastle - 535

Mullins  Is a pretty healthy guy 600

Stewart injury history   - 490

Diaz  Injury history plus months in AAA  - 140 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But if  

Mancini is traded in July - 390 at bats

Hays holds to his 60% playing time became of injuries  370

Santander injury  history  77% played - 490

Mountcastle - 535

Mullins  Is a pretty healthy guy 600

Stewart injury history   - 490

Diaz  Injury history plus months in AAA  - 140 

 

 

 

 

Mullins getting 600 at bats is absolutely awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins getting 600 at bats is absolutely awful.

You will probably still hate Mullins when he scores his 100th run later the season.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You will probably still hate Mullins when he scores his 100th run later the season.

How many games do you see the Tides playing?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You will probably still hate Mullins when he scores his 100th run later the season.

I guess I’m curious why you have this obsession about him?  What has he done in his career to warrant you believing he is worthy of 600 at bats?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess I’m curious why you have this obsession about him?  What has he done in his career to warrant you believing he is worthy of 600 at bats?  

305/348/448/796 vs righties last season and now he will hit lefties since he stopped switch hitting.   Projected 30 steals and excellent defense.   PLUS  he does not seem injury prone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

305/348/448/796 vs righties last season and now he will hit lefties since he stopped switch hitting.   Projected 30 steals and excellent defense.   PLUS  he does not seem injury prone.

Who is projecting 30 steals?

I also don't think he will suddenly start hitting lefties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

305/348/448/796 vs righties last season and now he will hit lefties since he stopped switch hitting.   Projected 30 steals and excellent defense.   PLUS  he does not seem injury prone.

How many at bats Mullins gets depends how well he plays.   If he puts up a .750 OPS, he may well get 600 PA.    If he puts up a .650 OPS, he won’t see 500.    We have a lot of options and competition in the OF.   I’d say it’s the strongest part of our team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

305/348/448/796 vs righties last season and now he will hit lefties since he stopped switch hitting.   Projected 30 steals and excellent defense.   PLUS  he does not seem injury prone.

115 plate appearances.  I know you greatly overrate SSS but come on, the guy did nothing in his career before last year and now 115 plate appearances make you think he is an everyday CF?  

All of a sudden you think he will now be an asset against lefties hitting as a lefty?

And he’s not an excellent defensive player unless you don’t understand the word excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

115 plate appearances.  I know you greatly overrate SSS but come on, the guy did nothing in his career before last year and now 115 plate appearances make you think he is an everyday CF?  

All of a sudden you think he will now be an asset against lefties hitting as a lefty?

And he’s not an excellent defensive player unless you don’t understand the word excellent.

He’s been very good defensively the last two years.  +9 outs above average in 69 games.   His arm is not strong but he is excellent at chasing the ball down.   

I’m not sold on his offense but I think you put too much stock in his 2018-19 problems.   I’m keeping an open mind about whether he can play well enough to be a starter.   If he can keep his OPS north of .700, he’s a pretty decent overall player IMO.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I would like to see is Mountcastle, Hays and Santander getting the most AB in the OF and Mancini holding down 1B,  I see Stewart getting a lot of DH time.

How is Stewart at 1B?  I can't remember if he ever played that in minors.  I'm sure we'll still see some of the $23 million cheerleader Davis at 1B.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...