Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

Padres lock up Tatis for 14 years

I'll give the owner props for being bold.

If you are going to give someone this kind of contract a 22 year old averaging 7 rWAR/143 games is a good choice.

Fair amount of risk considering he won’t be a free agent for four years.  But he should be well worth it if healthy.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fair amount of risk considering he won’t be a free agent for four years.  But he should be well worth it if healthy.  

I think that the deal will look better after the next CBA is finalized. 

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

How in the world can a small market like San Diego afford such a contract? I was told it was "impossible" for a team with FAR more resources. 

They aren't paying Davis.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They aren't paying Davis.

They ARE paying Machado 10/300. Not only one 300m deal...but TWO! In one of the worst markets in all of baseball. 

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

They ARE paying Machado 10/300. Not only one 300m deal...but TWO! In one of the worst markets in all of baseball. 

tenor.gif?itemid=14816704

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

And signed Hosmer to an 8/144 deal. 

24 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

How in the world can a small market like San Diego afford such a contract? I was told it was "impossible" for a team with FAR more resources. 

You really are a one-note Charlie.   Why do you say the Orioles have far more resources?    Per Forbes, the Padres had about $43 mm more in revenues than the Orioles did in 2019.    Their principal owner, Peter Seidler, founded a private equity firm that is valued at $3 bb.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You really are a one-note Charlie.   Why do you say the Orioles have far more resources?    Per Forbes, the Padres had about $43 mm more in revenues than the Orioles did in 2019.    Their principal owner, Peter Seidler, founded a private equity firm that is valued at $3 bb.   

Tell me about the Padres regional sports network that brings in tons of cash every year. Well they own 20% of a tiny market, I'm sure they are at least breaking even. Oh and I know the Angelos family definitely is poor and not billionaire status. I'm a one note charlie who has proven to be right about every single thing I have said about this ownership over the past 15 years.