Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

What if Lowther is ready?

10 hours ago, Philip said:

I want the best 5 guys in the mound. If Lowther and Baumann are better than Felix and Harvey I’m going to be annoyed if they get sent down anyway.

Exactly.  No more playing games with rules that won't really make much difference anyway and no more over-thinking.  Play your best 5 starting pitchers.    

If this is how MLB did things, there would be many fewer prospects in the minors.

See Drungo's rants about this. We all know the way things are set up. To expect the O's to manage personnel contrary to the incentives built into the system is an exercise in futility.

These guys will be brought up 1) when there are no more excuses not to or 2) when they're needed. The system does not incent a team to bring guys up to get us from 72-75 wins. That is not considered a need.

Here is a SP wish, being practical about leaving Grayson off the 40 one more offseason because we can.  I'm giving Kremer/Akin a month off at the end.

APR - Means/Felix/Kremer/Akin/Baumann

MAY/JUN/JUL - Means/Kremer/Akin/Baumann/Lowther (effective Felix keeps his job, but he may be toast)

AUG - Means/Kremer/Akin/Bradish/Lowther

SEP - Means/Lowther/Bradish/Smith/Hall  (then for 2022, Grayson's right-handedness quite helpful for that mix).

Baumann is 25.5 by Opening Day, Lowther is 25 by May 1, Bradish turns 25 in September, Smith is "only" 24 by May.

Some see Wells/Zimmermann the same as Lowther/Smith but I have a little higher hopes for the last two.

Next level stuff would be giving Grayson Means's last few turns.

Valdez confuses everyone in the middle of the game before Hunter/Tanner.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

Here is a SP wish, being practical about leaving Grayson off the 40 one more offseason because we can.  I'm giving Kremer/Akin a month off at the end.

APR - Means/Felix/Kremer/Akin/Baumann

MAY/JUN/JUL - Means/Kremer/Akin/Baumann/Lowther (effective Felix keeps his job, but he may be toast)

AUG - Means/Kremer/Akin/Bradish/Lowther

SEP - Means/Lowther/Bradish/Smith/Hall  (then for 2022, Grayson's right-handedness quite helpful for that mix).

Baumann is 25.5 by Opening Day, Lowther is 25 by May 1, Bradish turns 25 in September, Smith is "only" 24 by May.

Some see Wells/Zimmermann the same as Lowther/Smith but I have a little higher hopes for the last two.

Next level stuff would be giving Grayson Means's last few turns.

Valdez confuses everyone in the middle of the game before Hunter/Tanner.

I would love this but Baumann making the team out of spring training would be a shock to me. Not a comment on whether I think he's ready but I see the Orioles being cautious with him at first.  I think there's a good chance they start with a 6 man rotation with LeBlanc as the 5th starter and maybe a Felix/Eshelman piggyback as the 6th spot. If not, I supposed they could see how Zimmerman does. Hope I'm wrong but I imagine with the uncertainty with these guys' arms given the short season, they start with the more expendable/experienced guys at first and are cautious with the prospects. Like you, I think the rotation in August/September will be drastically different. 

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

I would love this but Baumann making the team out of spring training would be a shock to me. Not a comment on whether I think he's ready but I see the Orioles being cautious with him at first.  I think there's a good chance they start with a 6 man rotation with LeBlanc as the 5th starter and maybe a Felix/Eshelman piggyback as the 6th spot. If not, I supposed they could see how Zimmerman does. Hope I'm wrong but I imagine with the uncertainty with these guys' arms given the short season, they start with the more expendable/experienced guys at first and are cautious with the prospects. Like you, I think the rotation in August/September will be drastically different. 

It seem people think that Felix, Matt Harvey, LeBlanc and Eshelman are going to make the team.    That is 4 non rostered players which means 4 players DFA'd.   I don't see that happening.   Goudeau may go on waivers.   We will have to see what Holt can do with Lopez before we know if he comes off the roster.   I guess Urias could be on the bubble.   But right now the only one that looks worse then the 4 non rostered pitchers is Goudeau.

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It seem people think that Felix, Matt Harvey, LeBlanc and Eshelman are going to make the team.    That is 4 non roster players which means 4 players DFA'd.   I don't see that happening.   Goudeau may go on waivers.   We will have to see what Holt can do with Lopez before we know if he comes off the roster.   I guess Urias could be on the bubble.   But right now the only one that looks worse then the 4 non rostered pitchers is Goudeau.

Eshelman is not on the 40 man roster and I think the rule 5 guys would be in jeopardy unless they really show something.

12 minutes ago, mlrhode said:

Eshelman is not on the 40 man roster and I think the rule 5 guys would be in jeopardy unless they really show something.

I am wait and see on the two Rule 5 guys.   Elias is not trying to win this year and his goal is to increase the talent in the organization.   If one or both of these guys show something that may help the team in the future they could be kept on the 26 man roster over guys with options like Lakins (1.48 WHIP) and Sulser (5.56 plus era).

Just have to see what Holt thinks of them.   But  in  the future they could be swingmen who give the team innings and improve their effectiveness.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

It seem people think that Felix, Matt Harvey, LeBlanc and Eshelman are going to make the team.    That is 4 non rostered players which means 4 players DFA'd.   I don't see that happening.   Goudeau may go on waivers.   We will have to see what Holt can do with Lopez before we know if he comes off the roster.   I guess Urias could be on the bubble.   But right now the only one that looks worse then the 4 non rostered pitchers is Goudeau.

I don’t see any reason to make any assumptions about which of the NRI’s, if any, will make the team.   I do think the O’s probably would prefer for Lowther, Baumann and Wells to begin the year in the minors, but that depends on whether any of the NRI’s (or the others you mentioned) look like plausible placeholders (or better).   We will just have to see about that.   

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the O’s make waiver claims on some pitchers as the spring progresses.   In fact, I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t.  

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see any reason to make any assumptions about which of the NRI’s, if any, will make the team.   I do think the O’s probably would prefer for Lowther, Baumann and Wells to begin the year in the minors, but that depends on whether any of the NRI’s (or the others you mentioned) look like plausible placeholders (or better).   We will just have to see about that.   

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the O’s make waiver claims on some pitchers as the spring progresses.   In fact, I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t.  

The only waiver claim I see the O's making is some one to help at 3rd baseman. 

Its going to be hard for them to pick up a pitcher off waivers that is better than what they have  IMO.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The only waiver claim I see the O's making is some one to help at 3rd baseman. 

Its going to be hard for them to pick up a pitcher off waivers that is better than what they have  IMO.

You think it will be hard to find a pitcher off of waivers better than guys like Lakins, Sulser, Eshelman and Lopez?  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You think it will be hard to find a pitcher off of waivers better than guys like Lakins, Sulser, Eshelman and Lopez?  

It’s kind of a crapshoot.    Most waiver claims never really amount to anything.    And then once in a blue moon you get Jeremy Guthrie.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lakins had a 2.81 ERA and he has an option.   He can begin the season with the O's or be sent down.

Sulser has an option and Hyde just loves the guy.

Eshelman is non rostered.   

Lopez has the stuff and the O's want to see what Holt can do with him this spring.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Lakins had a 2.81 ERA and he has an option.   He can begin the season with the O's or be sent down.

Sulser has an option and Hyde just loves the guy.

Eshelman is non rostered.   

Lopez has the stuff and the O's want to see what Holt can do with him this spring.

None of them are good.  It’s not hard to find someone better.

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s kind of a crapshoot.    Most waiver claims never really amount to anything.    And then once in a blue moon you get Jeremy Guthrie.

Sure but to act like we can’t find guys better than what we have is wrong.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

None of them are good.  It’s not hard to find someone better.

Off the Wavier Wire?