wildcard

What if Lowther is ready?

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Off the Wavier Wire?

Sure..why not?  That’s where we got those guys.  Why can’t we get more that the team feels has more upside?

Lets stop pretending that these players are worth anything.  Now, you could argue that the guys on the waiver wire will be similar..there is some truth to that, for the most part, thats accurate.

That being said, I would bet there will be some guys out there that have a higher ceiling than some, if not all, of those names.  A few of those guys shouldn’t even be in consideration of a roster spot and none should be on the 40 man roster right now.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure..why not?  That’s where we got those guys.  Why can’t we get more that the team feels has more upside?

Lets stop pretending that these players are worth anything.  Now, you could argue that the guys on the waiver wire will be similar..there is some truth to that, for the most part, thats accurate.

That being said, I would bet there will be some guys out there that have a higher ceiling than some, if not all, of those names.  A few of those guys shouldn’t even be in consideration of a roster spot and none should be on the 40 man roster right now.

But there is Felix and the Dark Knight.  One or both may need roster spots.  If the O's want a third lefty in the pen there is Abad.     Elias and Holt will have to see how all that turns out.  Holt likes fixing pitchers.   So the guys on the waiver wire have to be better than those three too.

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But there is Felix and the Dark Knight.  One or both need roster spots.  If the O's want a third lefty in the pen there is Abad.     Elias and Holt will have to see how all that turns out.  Holt likes fixing pitchers.   So the guys on the waiver wire have to be better than those three too.

They don't need rosters spots.  They might earn roster spots.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see any reason to make any assumptions about which of the NRI’s, if any, will make the team.   I do think the O’s probably would prefer for Lowther, Baumann and Wells to begin the year in the minors, but that depends on whether any of the NRI’s (or the others you mentioned) look like plausible placeholders (or better).   We will just have to see about that.   

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the O’s make waiver claims on some pitchers as the spring progresses.   In fact, I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t.  

I don't know Frobby.  I am guessing the performance of the NRIs is irrelevant.

I think they have a plan for Lowther, Wells, and Baumann.  I dont know exacrly what it is, and wouldn't be surprised if it was more conservative than a lot of us want.

But I don't think it will be changed by what the NRIs do in the spring.  If The Plan is for any of the 3 guys to be here at the start or early in the season, they will be here.  If, more likely, The Plan is to slow play them, then I think they will be slow played.  And if all the MRI possibilities look awful, we'll either pick up someone on waivers or just go with the slightly less awful of the NRIs and suffer.  I don't think the development of Zac Lowther will be affected in any way by whether Felix Hernandez has totally lost it or if he still has something left 

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Here is a SP wish, being practical about leaving Grayson off the 40 one more offseason because we can.  I'm giving Kremer/Akin a month off at the end.

APR - Means/Felix/Kremer/Akin/Baumann

MAY/JUN/JUL - Means/Kremer/Akin/Baumann/Lowther (effective Felix keeps his job, but he may be toast)

AUG - Means/Kremer/Akin/Bradish/Lowther

SEP - Means/Lowther/Bradish/Smith/Hall  (then for 2022, Grayson's right-handedness quite helpful for that mix).

Baumann is 25.5 by Opening Day, Lowther is 25 by May 1, Bradish turns 25 in September, Smith is "only" 24 by May.

Some see Wells/Zimmermann the same as Lowther/Smith but I have a little higher hopes for the last two.

Next level stuff would be giving Grayson Means's last few turns.

Valdez confuses everyone in the middle of the game before Hunter/Tanner.

You left out Sceroler and Wells. And Mattson too for that matter.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No he didn’t 

At times, you are very contentious. He obviously didn’t mention the guys I named(any fool can confirm that by just reading the comment)and I named them because I am expecting them to possibly earn starter consideration. They may not, but you never know.

39 minutes ago, Philip said:

At times, you are very contentious. He obviously didn’t mention the guys I named(any fool can confirm that by just reading the comment)and I named them because I am expecting them to possibly earn starter consideration. They may not, but you never know.

No, I’m obviously stating that he left them off for a reason.  I have to think you can understand that simple concept, right?

YOU may think they can be in the rotation but he doesn’t, therefore HE didn’t leave them off.

5 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I hope they pitch well enough to help the team, but I feel like even an okay year hidden in middle relief is a fine outcome for a Rule 5 pick!

It is, but our bullpen is honestly kind of full:

Scott
Armstrong
Fry
Tate
Valdez
Sulser
Harvey
Lakins?
Eshelman?
Zimmermann?
Lopez?
Phillips?

Anything can happen in spring though.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

It is, but our bullpen is honestly kind of full:

Scott
Armstrong
Fry
Tate
Valdez
Sulser
Harvey
Lakins?
Eshelman?
Zimmermann?
Lopez?
Phillips?

Anything can happen in spring though.

Sceroler and T Wells

23 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I'd like to see them be among the top pitchers in the league for a few months, at least.

And you think that’s what is needed foe a call up to occur?

Yes, I hate to see them bounce back and forth. I'd like to see them prove they don't belong - kind of like they did in A and AA by the time they were finished that season.