Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

What if Lowther is ready?

Just now, orioles22 said:

I hope Hyde knows what is the best for the player. I think it will be at least a few starts at Norfolk. I've been wrong before though.

Do you think Hyde makes that call?

Do you think the Orioles put the player ahead of the team?

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I meant Elias - trying to cover basketball and talk about the Orioles...

Understood.

I don't know and won't try to guess. I haven't thought about the Orioles that much since October. It is kind of discouraging.

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I don't know and won't try to guess. I haven't thought about the Orioles that much since October. It is kind of discouraging.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Really?   So you think when Akin spend 2019 in AAA and was told to concentrate on his offspeed pitches even though his results (ERA) suffered a bit, so he could learn to command those pitches better, that that could have been accomplished at the major league level?   I know we weren't "trying to win", but Brandon Hyde was managing to win every game.     I say he wouldn't have been able to concentrate on the offspeed improvements enough if he was at the major league level.   Knowing that people were discussing his results every day on talk shows, that he was accumulating statistics that would in a few years affect what he could get in arbitration, etc.

There is a huge difference between “rushing” and wanting them to learn a skill.

When people talk about rushing a player, they act as if rushing the player ruined them.  That’s total bs to me.  Players don’t make it because they aren’t good enough, not some bs made up cliche.

Serious question - why is this thread about Lowther and not Baumann, who is older and higher rated prospect.    I get he had a sore arm last summer, but they say he's full speed.  

1 hour ago, orioles22 said:

I think Machado qualifies in the "elite' level prospect I mentioned earlier in the discussion. I'm sure he would have been fine with any approach.

Some turn out fine. Some don't. Some would have never made it no matter the approach.

I don't see anything wrong with letting most of the players spend some time in AAA if we are going to have an AAA team.

I dont know. Machado's first 1200 PA's spread over 3 seasons he had only a .747 OPS. An argument could be made he was rushed. His GG defense at 3B made up for it though.  

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont know. Machado's first 1200 PA's spread over 3 seasons he had only a .747 OPS. An argument could be made he was rushed. His GG defense at 3B made up for it though.  

He put up 9.7 rWAR over 289 games.  That's roughly a 5 WAR average.

I'd love to hear the argument he was rushed. (2013 is his third highest rWAR season)

19 minutes ago, connja said:

Serious question - why is this thread about Lowther and not Baumann, who is older and higher rated prospect.    I get he had a sore arm last summer, but they say he's full speed.  

I started the thread on Feb 23rd.  We did not know the condition of Baumann's arm then.    In fact I am not to sure of it now.   They says he is fine but we have not seen him pitch yet.  Pitchers are one pitch away from the IL and when they have had an elbow strain who knows what can happen or when.  Right now I just hope Baumann is alright.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I started the thread on Feb 23rd.  We did not know the condition of Baumann's arm then.    In fact I am not to sure of it now.   They says he is fine but we have not seen him pitch yet.  Pitchers are one pitch away from the IL and when they have had an elbow strain who knows what can happen or when.  Right now I just hope Baumann is alright.

Hitters are one swing away from the IL.

Baserunners are one stride away from the IL.

DJ Stewart is one fly ball away from the IL.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Understood.

Should they?   Does any team do that?

Just now, Frobby said:

Should they?   Does any team do that?

I'd say it's pretty rare and only if it makes very little difference to the club. 

Maybe something like when the Orioles traded Neshek to the A's.

But that being said, I was responding to someone saying " what is the best for the player.".  

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

DJ Stewart is one fly ball away from the IL.

hahahah