Jump to content
Just Regular

DL Hall 2021

Recommended Posts

It wasn't that long ago that Hall was rated higher than Grayson pretty much everywhere. It's true that Grayson's profile has improved, but that still speaks to Hall's upside.

If it has clicked with this guy, you're looking at a nasty 1-2 of Hall/Rodriguez in some order pretty soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It wasn't that long ago that Hall was rated higher than Grayson pretty much everywhere. It's true that Grayson's profile has improved, but that still speaks to Hall's upside.

If it has clicked with this guy, you're looking at a nasty 1-2 of Hall/Rodriguez in some order pretty soon. 

I have personally always preferred GRod to Hall because of command and control.

But if Hall is improving those things and the walks are going to come way down, he goes from very good prospect to elite prospect very quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I have personally always preferred GRod to Hall because of command and control.

But if Hall is improving those things and the walks are going to come way down, he goes from very good prospect to elite prospect very quickly.

Right. I used to prefer Hall because of his actual elite upside as a lefty. His control issues became more apparent as Rodriguez's upside started to emerge as elite too, so I flipped. I know elite's a word that we shouldn't throw around a ton, but the upside of these two is off the charts and they're at a better spot arguably than any group we've had here in a long time. Think of this list of misses and good but not great guys.

Loewen was supposed to be awesome, but never performed. Matt Riley was hyped, but rushed and seemingly didn't have the maturity for the gig. Matusz was a top pick, but without elite stuff. Arrieta was pretty electric in the minors and was grouped with Matusz/Hernandez and others, so that was certainly a nice crop. Gausman didn't have the 3rd pitch. Harvey does have an elite arm was hurt almost from the jump. Even Bundy's crazy elite profile was tempered almost immediately by velocity drops and shoulder issues. Then there's Hobgoo.....

These two have crossed time/stuff/performance hurdles that many of our other guys haven't. They're not here yet. They have risk, and Hall still does with command for sure, but they're the best top 2 pitching prospects we've paired since McDonald/Mussina, IMO.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Right. I used to prefer Hall because of his actual elite upside as a lefty. His control issues became more apparent as Rodriguez's upside started to emerge as elite too, so I flipped. I know elite's a word that we shouldn't throw around a ton, but the upside of these two is off the charts and they're at a better spot arguably than any group we've had here in a long time. Think of this list of misses and good but not great guys.

Loewen was supposed to be awesome, but never performed. Matt Riley was hyped, but rushed and seemingly didn't have the maturity for the gig. Matusz was a top pick, but without elite stuff. Arrieta was pretty electric in the minors and was grouped with Matusz/Hernandez and others, so that was certainly a nice crop. Gausman didn't have the 3rd pitch. Harvey does have an elite arm was hurt almost from the jump. Even Bundy's crazy elite profile was tempered almost immediately by velocity drops and shoulder issues. Then there's Hobgoo.....

These two have crossed time/stuff/performance hurdles that many of our other guys haven't. They're not here yet. They have risk, and Hall still does with command for sure, but they're the best top 2 pitching prospects we've paired since McDonald/Mussina, IMO.

I really thought Loewen was on the verge of a major breakthrough the year he suffered the elbow fracture.   He was dominant in spring training that year.  

So many things can go wrong with pitchers, it feels like a miracle when one holds up and performs well.    

I’m excited about Hall.   I’m sure he’ll make at least 8-10 starts in AA no matter how well he does.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I really thought Loewen was on the verge of a major breakthrough the year he suffered the elbow fracture.   He was dominant in spring training that year.  

So many things can go wrong with pitchers, it feels like a miracle when one holds up and performs well.    

I’m excited about Hall.   I’m sure he’ll make at least 8-10 starts in AA no matter how well he does.   

 

The WBC was a great showcase for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Frobby said:

62 pitches, 45 strikes.   If Hall doesn’t hand out free passes, he’s very tough to beat. 

 

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If he has good command and isn’t walking guys, he is probably amongst the top 5 pitching prospects in baseball.  
 

 

It's really quite amazing to see how well he's commanding the ball right now. He's thrown very few uncompetitive pitches which was part of his problem two years ago and from what I heard, at the alternate camp this year. If this keeps up, I would love to know what the change was. Was it coaching? Did he figure something out on his own? Did his body just mature to allow him to stay in control?

Watching him thru these two starts, what has jumped out at me besides his ability throw strikes was how quickly he works. The way he threw the ball yesterday, that would have worked at the major league level no doubt.

If this new found command is real, he may be the best prospect in the organization.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ugly outing today 

I followed the game a little. Radio said small zone hurt and some weak contact in 2nd. Didn’t listen to 3rd inning. Walk, HBP then HR. Have to see how he bounces back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DL’s fastball was pretty over powering in a few at bats, and the contact outside the Homer seemed to be a lot of last second fling the bat at it, including a single that was hit against the shift. 
 

Very small zone, but it was consistent. Pretty awful umpiring though, Yahn hit a ball off his foot that all 3 umpires missed then the 1st base umpire called a ball fair that the first basemen picked up about a foot wide of first. He was standing right there so I almost think he pointed the wrong way then didn’t want to look like he was changing his mind.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw him in Frederick a few times.  The stuff was insane but the control was bad.  If he's able to command everything, with the way GrayRod is pitching, that would be some 1-2-3 with Means.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No updates here since Hall pitched since the 16th, and I can't find a box score for him since then. Has he not taken the mound in almost two weeks, or am I just not finding the results?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

No updates here since Hall pitched since the 16th, and I can't find a box score for him since then. Has he not taken the mound in almost two weeks, or am I just not finding the results?

He pitched on May 23rd: https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=hall--000dl-&type=pgl&year=2021

Listed as the probable starter for tonight as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baumann is pitching the first game and Hall the second today in Bowie. Great day to head down to Prince George's Stadium. Hopefully the weather holds out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...