Sports Guy

Davis is making changes!

The other problem Davis has is that Stewart can kind of do everything Davis used to do: hit left-handed dingers, take walks, hit for an acceptable average, play some corner outfield/DH. 

2 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

While I understand being frustrated about Davis, I believe that frustration should be pointed at the front office.  They were the ones who decided to hand out a 7 year deal to a guy entering his age 30 season (and a guy who had some red flags in his performance.). Would any of us have turned down that deal?  I am sure he is professionally frustrated with his inability to deliver.  I say just leave him in peace.

I said at the time and it is even more clear now that any spending money at that time should have been reserved for Machado.

From everything I read and heard at the time, it was pretty clear -- not certain, but pretty clear -- that the decision to sign The Crusher to a long-term contract was made by the owner, not the front office.

• Upvote 1

Just now, spiritof66 said:

From everything I read and heard at the time, it was pretty clear -- not certain, but pretty clear -- that the decision to sign The Crusher to a long-term contract was made by the owner, not the front office.

Which isn't even the same person that it was when Davis was signed.

We can however blame both the ownership and the FO for Davis not being released.

24 minutes ago, BirdinBama said:

I'll be elated with him posting a .215 batting average! In 50 total at bats for the season.

Plus 10-15 innings pitched with an ERA under 6.00.

I get the frustration about his comments being similar to the past, to the stupid contract and still being on the team.

If he must be here (and it seems likely at this point), it'd be nice if the changes made a difference and he showed significant progression.  Not going to bank on it, but it would be more fun to have him not suck if we're stuck with him.

• Upvote 1

Mancini gets right of first refusal for any Grapefruit 1B reps he wants, right?

Maybe Hyde gets a text thread going among the three of them so by breakfast they all know what's up this afternoon.

Chris Shaw may or may not be in the list.

52 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Mancini gets right of first refusal for any Grapefruit 1B reps he wants, right?

Maybe Hyde gets a text thread going among the three of them so by breakfast they all know what's up this afternoon.

Chris Shaw may or may not be in the list.

Tyler Nevin should get some away game reps at 1B in ST.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which isn't even the same person that it was when Davis was signed.

We can however blame both the ownership and the FO for Davis not being released.

I mean, the Angeloses saved like 12 million by not releasing him.  We're probably resigned to another season of watching Davis suck, if not for the likelihood (hope) that part of the 2021 season is cancelled and they won't be on the hook for the salary.

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I mean, the Angeloses saved like 12 million by not releasing him.  We're probably resigned to another season of watching Davis suck, if not for the likelihood (hope) that part of the 2021 season is cancelled and they won't be on the hook for the salary.

And we might get a strike or lockout in 2022!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And we might get a strike or lockout in 2022!

Can't blame them for dreaming.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

He batted .115 last year.  I dont really want to see Davis in any games that count. 

Don't fall into the trap of small sample size bias. If Davis really focuses and makes adjustments, he might be capable of matching his .179 batting average in 2019. 😃