RZNJ

Mullins and Ruiz

No predictions here. Just an open mind and a little hope.  It seems as though both have been written off by many to some extent.  Ruiz as a placeholder until we can get something better and Mullins as a 4th outfielder.  I think Ruiz has shown that he can be a solid/average defensive 3B, has good AB's, and has shown flashes of power.  He hasn't put it together yet and possibly never will but I think he has a chance.  In Mullins' case he offers potential plus defense in CF, speed and a little pop.  It will be interesting to see what he will do as a straight LH hitter now.  I like each players games and I'm rooting for both.  The book isn't closed on these two.

Love to see a guy say "the hell with switch-hitting because I suck hitting right-handed". Wish more athletes were that honest with themselves. He might come to find out he's not that bad at hitting left on left. Certainly did well yesterday.

I like Ruiz. I don't mind the times he doesn't hit all that well, but last year he also started to slip defensively at times. I pegged him as a possible DFA candidate if someone like Jones manages to win the 2B job, moving Sanchez to 3B. But that feels like a longshot the more I think about it. Ruiz probably has at least a half year left in him as the 3B placeholder before the O's decide to call some guys up (Bannon? Jones? Martin?).

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No predictions here. Just an open mind and a little hope.  It seems as though both have been written off by many to some extent.  Ruiz as a placeholder until we can get something better.   I think Ruiz has shown that he can be a solid/average defensive 3B, has good AB's, and has shown flashes of power.  He hasn't put it together yet and possibly never will but I think he has a chance. 

Pretty luke warm assessment of Ruiz.   I think you expressed what a lot of us think.   Which means he starts until Elias finds someone better.

If Mullins can hit lefties as a left-handed batter  he has helped himself a lot.

I think it is very easy to find someone as good as Ruiz, but LATERAL moves accomplish nothing and waste time and resources. It shouldn’t be difficult to find someone better than Ruiz, however, and I’d be happy to let Bannon take the reins and see what he can do.

Edit: Had to clarify that.

Edited by Philip
Clarification

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I think it is very easy to find someone as good as Ruiz, but later moves accomplish nothing and waste time and resources. It shouldn’t be difficult to find someone better than Ruiz, however, and I’d be happy to let Bannon take the reins and see what he can do.

Bannon needs some more time at AAA to improve his fielding and show he will hit more like he did at AAA instead of how he hit a AA.

57 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No predictions here. Just an open mind and a little hope.  It seems as though both have been written off by many to some extent.  Ruiz as a placeholder until we can get something better and Mullins as a 4th outfielder.  I think Ruiz has shown that he can be a solid/average defensive 3B, has good AB's, and has shown flashes of power.  He hasn't put it together yet and possibly never will but I think he has a chance.  In Mullins' case he offers potential plus defense in CF, speed and a little pop.  It will be interesting to see what he will do as a straight LH hitter now.  I like each players games and I'm rooting for both.  The book isn't closed on these two.

Good post.  I am a Ruiz supporter, I think he could post a .750-.800 OPS with solid defense.  We'll see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Good post.  I am a Ruiz supporter, I think he could post a .750-.800 OPS with solid defense.  We'll see.

If he can he has sure been hiding it for that last two seasons.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think it is very easy to find someone as good as Ruiz, but later moves accomplish nothing and waste time and resources. It shouldn’t be difficult to find someone better than Ruiz, however, and I’d be happy to let Bannon take the reins and see what he can do.

I'm not sure it's as easy as it seems. Just finding a guy who can make the routine play at 3B and some above-average plays seems kind of tough these days. I mean the last good defensive 3B the team has had other than Machado was Ryan Flaherty. 

47 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not sure it's as easy as it seems. Just finding a guy who can make the routine play at 3B and some above-average plays seems kind of tough these days. I mean the last good defensive 3B the team has had other than Machado was Ryan Flaherty. 

I don’t disagree with you, but I think that in Ruiz we don’t have a guy who can make the routine play unless he makes it exciting.

BTW, I thought Flaherty was a fine 3B. I haven’t checked his actual stats, but he sure made a lot of fine plays while subbing for Manny.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't think he'd be the first ML player t show some improvement after his first two ML seasons.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

It's a special talent of his 😉

I’m not mad Ruiz is still here but I still am very surprised Elias didn’t bring in any competition for him.  

51 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not mad Ruiz is still here but I still am very surprised Elias didn’t bring in any competition for him.  

I thought that's why Davis was still here ;)

9 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Is it his career .747 OPS in 3245 minor league PAS, his .744 OPS in 1521 PAs, or his .667 OPS in 812 PAs in the major leagues that makes you think he's going to become a .750 to .800 OPS hitter in the major leagues?

Maybe it was his 34th percentile exit velocity, 8th percentile xwOBA, 14th percentile xBA, 15th percentile spring speed, 17th percentile xSLG, 40th percentile BB% and 46 percentile K%? 

Oh, and he was 36th percentile Outs above average defensively last year and he's a -10 OAA over his career at 3B defensively.

Ruiz is a placeholder at best. 

• Upvote 2