Tony-OH

Prayers and good thoughts for weams (Update: Weams has passed on after watching the O's beat the Yankees)

On 8/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, justD said:

Just a quick update: He’s having pain management issues the past two weeks and it’s affecting his outlook - as well as his ability to take in or talk about anything baseball related. 

So this morning it caught me completely by surprise when he suddenly said, “I wanted to be here just a little longer. I wanted to see Adley Rutschman.”  😁

That, my friends, is weams. 

That's great to hear for both of you. Let's hope for more good days than bad. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Weams, Dee, sending good vibes and thoughts your way tonight. I haven't been on the board in awhile (I like pitching and haven't been able to watch games much). But just wanted to chime in and say - blessings to you both. And Weams - thanks for your service, my good man. I think we've got a keeper in Adley, too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, justD said:

Of course one doesn't know for sure, but he seems to have slipped into final unconsciousness this evening, after watching the win today.

That 8th inning was rough, but we were distracted during that time anyway, so just got to see a win instead. 

It's pretty cool that with all the losses, they eked out a win for what will likely be the last game we watch together with him being conscious. 

I had a feeling this is where things were.  😮  I'll keep you and Mike lifted up in my prayers.

20 minutes ago, justD said:

He passed last night around 11pm. 

I can’t tell you how much the comments in this thread have meant to both of us.  He was incredibly fortunate to be able to receive these sentiments while still here, right?

He was, amazingly, awake and aware yesterday and did see the win.  Charmed for sure. 

Thank you all again.  Memorial service will occur some time in the future, will pass the word on then.

Thanks for this D and for loving him so boundlessly!  I could tell that he was suffering when we saw you both but he continued to fight.  So glad that he saw that Omazing victory yesterday!  Our kindest thoughts are with you!  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Now it can be told, one night in June around 10 pm, Mike texted me that he needed help getting into his wheelchair so he could get outside to see the sunshine the next day.    When I arrived, @justDmet me outside and thanked me for coming.  "He had his first good night's sleep in a while knowing you'd be here today."  A more touching and humbling compliment I could not have received.   Of course, Mike had MLB network on the TV, but over the course of 3 hours, we talked about about his first date with Denise, and their cross-country trip a few years ago.   Not wanting to  talk about anything depressing we didn't talk about his health...or Orioles baseball.   Mike joked he had a spare room if I wanted to spend the night.  D showed me all the Orioles memorabilia they had collected upstairs.  His day nurse, a young man named Angelo, arrived a couple hours later, and helped get Mike into his wheelchair and out to his back deck.  From there was a great view of the Governor's mansion only 1-2 blocks away.  Mike wanted to get out to see the sunshine "one last time."  Heartbreaking to think about.   

All the credit in the world goes to Denise for the loving care she gave him his last several months.   They had nursing help some days, but not every day, and she carried quite a heavy load without a bit of complaint.   Her strength was what carried him as far as he went.   Deepest sympathies to her.

Mike learned about baseball from his father Lew.  I met Lew the day Brooks was getting his statue and @Roy Firestonegave his memorable speech.   Lew passed away in March of this year.   I know father and son will get to see many more games together again from the "best seats in the house," and maybe, just maybe, some will be worth watching.

God speed, Mike.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
and let perpetual light shine upon him
May his soul and the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace
Amen

That is a touching and great post from the heart. The Orioles look better from way above.Again a fine person. Thoughts to all his family and many friends. God bless.

• Upvote 2