Tony-OH

Prayers and good thoughts for weams (Update: Weams has passed on after watching the O's beat the Yankees)

5 hours ago, TwistedLogic said:

Thoughts and good vibes from the Toronto Blue Jays community.

I know we've had our little rivalries in the past but we are all united in our love of sports. Rest in peace, Michael.

I didn’t know we had a rivalry with a Blue Jays fan website.   Thanks very much for the kind words about Michael.   Very classy.

And most fans here would tell you we like this current version of the Blue Jays much better than past versions.   Hard not to like Vladdy and the boys.  

• Upvote 4

On 9/11/2021 at 10:29 PM, boxcar8 said:

Weams once came to our board to defend the honour of OH, never got heated with anyone and was extremely pleasant in the face of some possibly unearned scorn. We never experienced Mike the way you guys did, but even us Jays fans always saw him as central to the OH experience, and he is very much a part of the lore of our board. I am so sad to hear of his passing, and it was heartbreaking to read him say he was getting a bit better and that he wanted to see Rutschman play with the O's. I am glad he went peacefully but cancer sucks.

Is there anything we can do? I'm willing to set up a donation page of some kind. I don't know how much it will accrue but I want to do...something.

Anyway, condolences to you all, especially Denise, of course. We will have you in our thoughts and prayers.

That was Mike. (Don't know why, I always called him Mike. ) He was always calm and level-headed, always the voice of reason or just calm.

I miss my friend.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Thanks for this Roy.  This really is a big deal.  I don’t really post much, but I’ve been around here for close to 20 years at this point.  Really going to miss that guy even though I never got a chance to meet him.  

Weams would've really loved today's game :)

I'm glad he got to see the Orioles beat the Yankees one last time on his last day, it seems appropriate.  I might think of him every time it happens.  I didn't know him at all, I just interacted with him on the internet, and he was relentlessly pleasant.  That's enough to be memorable.  Guy was endlessly kind and even-keeled even on a medium as toxic as the internet (no offense to the Hangout, this place is far better than most).  I don't know how you develop that kind of personality, I wish I did.

Hope his family is doing well.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

RIP Weams. 

We had some great conversations and you were always incredibly kind and warm to me and everyone else on the OH. 

I wish we had gotten a chance to meet in person over the years. Next time I'm at OPACY I will grab a cold one and raise it to the sky. 

My respect and best wishes to your family. God Bless. 

MSK

• Upvote 3

I did not see that Weams passed. Though I've only interacted with him once or twice in my time here, he was definitely a beacon of the community. And from what has been shown throughout this thread, well loved. Sleep in peace, friend. Condolences to his family, friends and the Hangout community.

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, TonySoprano said:

Now it can be told, one night in June around 10 pm, Mike texted me that he needed help getting into his wheelchair so he could get outside to see the sunshine the next day.    When I arrived, @justDmet me outside and thanked me for coming.  "He had his first good night's sleep in a while knowing you'd be here today."  A more touching and humbling compliment I could not have received.   Of course, Mike had MLB network on the TV, but over the course of 3 hours, we talked about his first date with Denise, and their cross-country trip a few years ago.   Not wanting to  talk about anything depressing we didn't talk about his health...or Orioles baseball.   Mike joked he had a spare room if I wanted to spend the night.  D showed me all the Orioles memorabilia they had collected upstairs.  His day nurse, a young man named Angelo, arrived a couple hours later, and helped get Mike into his wheelchair and out to his back deck.  From there was a great view of the Governor's mansion only 1-2 blocks away.  Mike wanted to get out to see the sunshine "one last time."  Heartbreaking to think about.   

All the credit in the world goes to Denise for the loving care she gave him his last several months.   They had nursing help some days, but not every day, and she carried quite a heavy load without a bit of complaint.   Her strength was what carried him as far as he went.   Deepest sympathies to her.

Mike learned about baseball from his father, Lew.  I met Lew the day Brooks was getting his statue and @Roy Firestonegave his memorable speech.   Lew passed away in March of this year.   I know father and son will get to see many more games together again from the "best seats in the house," and maybe, just maybe, some will be worth watching.

God speed, Mike.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
and let perpetual light shine upon him
May his soul and the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace
Amen

What an incredible story.  I am not a regular here but have been around for 12 years or so.  Weams was a favorite for no other reason than he kept a level head when none of us could.  He was the family member that kept the peace.  His knowledge of the O's and game itself was top notch.  I never met him but I feel like I have through the Hangout and the great people here.  God Bless You Michael. Rest in Peace Brother. God Bless You Denise. There is a big hole in the soul of the Hangout...

• Upvote 1

I haven't posted much here in the last few years cause I am going through my own health stuff.. but to lose Weams, hits hard cause he was a good guy always willing to see both sides of things and wasn't super defensive about differing opinions. He was a good man and I am glad he got a few more wins to see before his passed. RIP Weams.. You are missed.

• Upvote 2

I have unfortunately been away from the board for awhile and am so sorry to just hear of Michael’s passing.  He was a wonderful human being and was always kind and supportive. God bless his family and all those who were close to him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, TonySoprano said:

Now it can be told, one night in June around 10 pm, Mike texted me that he needed help getting into his wheelchair so he could get outside to see the sunshine the next day.    When I arrived, @justDmet me outside and thanked me for coming.  "He had his first good night's sleep in a while knowing you'd be here today."  A more touching and humbling compliment I could not have received.   Of course, Mike had MLB network on the TV, but over the course of 3 hours, we talked about his first date with Denise, and their cross-country trip a few years ago.   Not wanting to  talk about anything depressing we didn't talk about his health...or Orioles baseball.   Mike joked he had a spare room if I wanted to spend the night.  D showed me all the Orioles memorabilia they had collected upstairs.  His day nurse, a young man named Angelo, arrived a couple hours later, and helped get Mike into his wheelchair and out to his back deck.  From there was a great view of the Governor's mansion only 1-2 blocks away.  Mike wanted to get out to see the sunshine "one last time."  Heartbreaking to think about.   

All the credit in the world goes to Denise for the loving care she gave him his last several months.   They had nursing help some days, but not every day, and she carried quite a heavy load without a bit of complaint.   Her strength was what carried him as far as he went.   Deepest sympathies to her.

Mike learned about baseball from his father, Lew.  I met Lew the day Brooks was getting his statue and @Roy Firestonegave his memorable speech.   Lew passed away in March of this year.   I know father and son will get to see many more games together again from the "best seats in the house," and maybe, just maybe, some will be worth watching.

God speed, Mike.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
and let perpetual light shine upon him
May his soul and the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace
Amen

Thanks for the great story Tony! 

• Upvote 1