Tony-OH

Prayers and good thoughts for weams (Update: Weams has passed on after watching the O's beat the Yankees)

I haven't posted much here in the last few years cause I am going through my own health stuff.. but to lose Weams, hits hard cause he was a good guy always willing to see both sides of things and wasn't super defensive about differing opinions. He was a good man and I am glad he got a few more wins to see before his passed. RIP Weams.. You are missed.

• Upvote 2

I have unfortunately been away from the board for awhile and am so sorry to just hear of Michael’s passing.  He was a wonderful human being and was always kind and supportive. God bless his family and all those who were close to him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, TonySoprano said:

Now it can be told, one night in June around 10 pm, Mike texted me that he needed help getting into his wheelchair so he could get outside to see the sunshine the next day.    When I arrived, @justDmet me outside and thanked me for coming.  "He had his first good night's sleep in a while knowing you'd be here today."  A more touching and humbling compliment I could not have received.   Of course, Mike had MLB network on the TV, but over the course of 3 hours, we talked about his first date with Denise, and their cross-country trip a few years ago.   Not wanting to  talk about anything depressing we didn't talk about his health...or Orioles baseball.   Mike joked he had a spare room if I wanted to spend the night.  D showed me all the Orioles memorabilia they had collected upstairs.  His day nurse, a young man named Angelo, arrived a couple hours later, and helped get Mike into his wheelchair and out to his back deck.  From there was a great view of the Governor's mansion only 1-2 blocks away.  Mike wanted to get out to see the sunshine "one last time."  Heartbreaking to think about.   

All the credit in the world goes to Denise for the loving care she gave him his last several months.   They had nursing help some days, but not every day, and she carried quite a heavy load without a bit of complaint.   Her strength was what carried him as far as he went.   Deepest sympathies to her.

Mike learned about baseball from his father, Lew.  I met Lew the day Brooks was getting his statue and @Roy Firestonegave his memorable speech.   Lew passed away in March of this year.   I know father and son will get to see many more games together again from the "best seats in the house," and maybe, just maybe, some will be worth watching.

God speed, Mike.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
and let perpetual light shine upon him
May his soul and the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace
Amen

Thanks for the great story Tony! 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Just a quick reminder, if you going please either RSVP here or straight to @justD.

I won't be able to attend this memorial but told Denise that I plan to be at Siesta Key in February when she spreads his ashes on his birthday.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, justD said:

Was going through some of weams' things and ran across these three stray pics with the date Feb 1986 on the back.

The (?) signed balls are kept in the "shrine" next to a more recent photo of the three of them decades later. 

How fun is this? A fan for life. 

2021-10-10 013 (2).JPG

2021-10-10 014 (2).JPG

2021-10-10 015.JPG

So glad I got to see these in person when we visited you and weams.   I’d kill to have a photo of myself sandwiched between Cal and Eddie like that.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2021 at 4:02 PM, justD said:

Was going through some of weams' things and ran across these three stray pics with the date Feb 1986 on the back.

The (?) signed balls are kept in the "shrine" next to a more recent photo of the three of them decades later. 

That was my favorite of his collection. Thanks for showing me that when I was there and for sharing this great pic with Michael between two of the best to wear an Orioles uniform.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2021 at 4:02 PM, justD said:

2021-10-10 013 (2).JPG

2021-10-10 014 (2).JPG

2021-10-10 015.JPG

I gave Mike a signed Ripken ball at a Hangout night a few years ago.   You two have an impressive collection.  Over the years, I have photos with Eddie and Cal, but never both at same time; that's awesome.  Very sorry to miss Mike's celebration, but I think of him and you often. 

Ciao, all.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 7:31 AM, canonfaz said:

Beautiful tribute. He will be missed around here for sure. It won't be the same. 

Weams and Can_of_corn had such a common love of some early 70's (whole 70's...) music that I just never got around to listening to (SO much music! So little time!) Zappa, King Crimson, things like that. I loved reading and listening to their conversations and songs down in the Music threads.

Mike had SUCH a great knowledge of music! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBV2ueXFmuk The three of us together could talk about every decade since music was recorded on shellac records and then on vinyl. From the 1920's to yesterday afternoon. From most any country in the world! 😛 And EVERY genre. I will miss that.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1