Jump to content
Just Regular

Gunnar Henderson 2021

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And yet professional basketball players can be fine the year after HS, professional football players can be fine after a couple years of college and professional tennis players can win Grand Slams before being old enough to vote.

Odd how this one sport is so different.

That's because it is different.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just like all the other ones are different.

 

I agree.  Personally, I think that baseball is generally more difficult than basketball or football.  There's a greater variety of skills that have to be mastered before you're competent at the major league level.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seak05 said:

It's interesting to see the same issue resurfacing at Bowie that hurt him at Aberdeen, and I don't mean the strikeouts per se...it's that so many of the strikeouts are looking 

I can't say this for a fact, but I do know that the O's are very very big on swing decisions. Knowing the count, tmking a good approach and not expanding even with 2 strikes. I don't know if he's looking at strike 3 that's over the plate or many that are just off the plate, but the belief is that the umpiring gets better at higher levels so the O's aren't knocking guys for taking strike three that's 2-3 inches outside, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I can't say this for a fact, but I do know that the O's are very very big on swing decisions. Knowing the count, tmking a good approach and not expanding even with 2 strikes. I don't know if he's looking at strike 3 that's over the plate or many that are just off the plate, but the belief is that the umpiring gets better at higher levels so the O's aren't knocking guys for taking strike three that's 2-3 inches outside, for example.

Yeah, but this is like 7-8 in a row. That theory would hold for an occasional extra strikeout, and creating a slightly higher strikeout rate...not for this volume 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice compliment from ESPN McDaniel, who picked him in his writeup today on one prospect for each team taking the biggest step forward in 2021, and offhand mentioned him as a Top 50 candidate:

Gunnar Henderson, SS

RHP Grayson Rodriguez was my preseason pick for pitcher breakout and he's now clearly the top pitching prospect in baseball (ninth overall) after starting the year at 30th on my list. C Adley Rutschman moved from second to first with Wander Franco's graduation, but also earned it with a stellar performance. There are five other viable candidates in my mind: LHP D.L. Hall (rose from 97th on the preseason list to 35th on the midseason list), SS Gunnar Henderson (reached Double-A at age 20 with a three-true-outcomes-heavy breakout year, just missed the midseason Top 50), SS Jordan Westburg (late-blooming plus athlete also reached Double-A in his first pro season), 3B Coby Mayo (teenage power bat raked at Low-A) and RHP Kyle Bradish (preseason sleeper made a big move, as some predicted, to viable MLB rotation piece).

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2021 at 12:26 PM, Frobby said:

Did that.   It’s posted elsewhere in this thread.   Don’t forget there were some convoluted rules at one time requiring players who got a bonus in excess of $4,000 to be on the major league roster for a while.    That led to a lot of premature debuts and then the players would be sent down when their required time was up.  

Interesting, i never knew that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2021 at 2:35 PM, NCRaven said:

I agree.  Personally, I think that baseball is generally more difficult than basketball or football.  There's a greater variety of skills that have to be mastered before you're competent at the major league level.

The game would most likely suffer in every way imaginable.  I think if a player is heads and shoulders ahead of the competition they're facing, teams are going to promote regardless of service time.  

Machado was 20 years old, two years out of high school when the Orioles brought him up.  They had seen enough, plus they were in a position to succeed.  They had plenty of incentive to promote him. 

I think the style of basketball has changed dramatically today, and it's probably not too far fetched to assume that's because of so many one and done's.  No one has time to teach the fundamentals. It's become an isolation game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Machado also was added to a team that was maximizing his value(in terms of team success), and it wasn’t being wasted on a last place team. He could’ve hit 9th and just played good defense and it would’ve been worth it. 
 

I’m excited about the season Gunnar had. Hopefully we get to follow him in the AFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

A nice compliment from ESPN McDaniel, who picked him in his writeup today on one prospect for each team taking the biggest step forward in 2021, and offhand mentioned him as a Top 50 candidate:

Gunnar Henderson, SS

RHP Grayson Rodriguez was my preseason pick for pitcher breakout and he's now clearly the top pitching prospect in baseball (ninth overall) after starting the year at 30th on my list. C Adley Rutschman moved from second to first with Wander Franco's graduation, but also earned it with a stellar performance. There are five other viable candidates in my mind: LHP D.L. Hall (rose from 97th on the preseason list to 35th on the midseason list), SS Gunnar Henderson (reached Double-A at age 20 with a three-true-outcomes-heavy breakout year, just missed the midseason Top 50), SS Jordan Westburg (late-blooming plus athlete also reached Double-A in his first pro season), 3B Coby Mayo (teenage power bat raked at Low-A) and RHP Kyle Bradish (preseason sleeper made a big move, as some predicted, to viable MLB rotation piece).

I’m surprised to see Bradish mentioned as being top 100ish.  I always say Westburg is underrated. I guess I’ve been underrating Bradish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m surprised to see Bradish mentioned as being top 100ish.  I always say Westburg is underrated. I guess I’ve been underrating Bradish.

I think their synopsis of him is a bit exuberant.  He’s been quite inconsistent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Those 3 things do matter…but MD is the destination of those local kids.  Recruiting is so different now, especially with the power of social media.     There are tons of attractive urban areas, so that really isn’t much of a factor overall.  It may help vs some Midwest school in podunk but up against a lot of the power 5 teams, not as much. Lots of schools have top notch facilities.   I mean, look at their recruiting rankings. They have had 1 top 10 Class in the last decade.  They had more classes ranked outside the top 35 than inside the top 20.     Had you asked me 5+ years ago, I would have agreed it was a top 25 job.  It’s just not the case anymore.  
    • First of all, the current state of the program absolutely matters and it matters a hell of a lot more than MDs title in 2002. Would those schools out hire?  Maybe..money is important and the Terps haven’t had any. BTw, I meant Texas Tech, not Texas A&M.  Now, we will see what TT does after losing Beard but that’s been a really good program recently. FSU has been a far better program than MD for a solid 5-10 years.  It’s not close.  They have had several first round picks, highly ranked recruiting classes and lots of tourney success, not to mention being one of the winningest programs in the ACC. Your last sentence is just wrong.  The idea that you think it’s clear is absurd. They have limited recent success(especially in March), not much national appeal, no money and no real high end picks to point to in the league recently.     Like I said, the right coach can elevate the program back to what you are saying…but as we talk now, as the job is looked at by recruits, etc…it’s not there anymore.  Things can change.  
    • I'm pretty sure these guys call the Summer Eve's Douche Bowl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522H44ddePQ
    • Being the number one destination by a long shot in an area with top 5 amateur talent still matters. Being in an attractive major urban area still matters. Having top notch facilities and fan base still matters. Leaving the ACC hurt the programs standing.  But there's a reason the school has had such sustained stretches of success in the past.  Even under Turgeon the team was generally a top 25ish team. If you get fired for being generally top 25ish, that's because people have higher expectations for the program.  And they should.  Because the school has all the advantages to be a top 20 team annually.   Now, that's not saying this hire will end up well for MD.  They could conceivably get worse.  But that won't be because of the program's potential.
    • I think you're looking at it the wrong way by placing too much emphasis on the current state of the program.  I of course don't think thry are currently a top-25 program.  But Maryland was able to lure away P5 coaches from schools that are on your list for their last 2 coaching hires, including during a time when they were facing NCAA sanctions.  On top of that, they were really close to luring away a coach (Sean Miller) from a program that I had listed as better than us.  That's fact, not theory.  I don't believe for a second that Turgeon's tenure here dropped the desirability of this job down to where we aren't still close to that level, nor do I think that the other schools closed the gap so significantly that we are worse than all of them.   Let's look at it another way.  If Iowa lost its coach and were looking for a coach this offseason, would they beat us out in terms of hires?  Would TAMU?   Would Alabama?  Would USC?  With Iowa and TAMU I feel very strongly thay they wouldn't. Especially since we already poached one coach from TAMU.  Alabama?  Maybe depending on how much a coach values environment over Benjamin's, but I also don't think Alabama would pay a coach top dollar unless it's someone like Nate Oats and has proven success with the program.  USC?  Only for someone who wants to be in LA.  FSU?  Absolutely not.  Auburn?  similar to Alabama IMO but maybe more tilted in favor of Auburn.  Arkansas?  Debatable as well.   Regardless there are enough schools on this list where I think Maryland comes out clearly ahead in this exercise that I feel comfortable putting this HC position as a top-25 job.
    • Well, Westry is out.  Smith hurt his ankle And Young was sick.  It could mean they just want more depth and that none of them are out. The McCrary thing is interesting.  Wonder if they give him carries tomorrow?
    • 2022 MLB Draft - Top 200 Prospects — Prospects Live   I posted this a month ago.  Check out his swing at No. 7.    
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...