Jump to content
jamesenoch

NL VP of Scouting : " It’s embarrassing to the sport what they’re doing, or aren’t doing."

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

What do you think of McGregor's comment about Rutschman having issues with the high heat?

He didn't say that. He said "They're (pitchers) throwing it by him right now!" 

I don't know what he meant by it or what he was using to come to that conclusion, but I felt his plan at the plate was lacking in several ABs that I saw this spring and he's always and I mean literally, almost always hitting with two strikes. 

i don't think it's a bat speed issue, but his need to develop a better plan of attack against professional pitching. I'm sure it was easy to take pitches until you got to two strikes against college guys because they didn't have the put away stuff that he's going to see in pro ball, particularly as he gets to the upper level.

I'm not a fan of his extreme upper cut swing either. I know the game has changed but he has a pronounced upper cut swing that leaves him little room for timing errors and will lead to him fouling off a lot of hittable pitches and striking out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Obviously at some point you have to try to fill holes with legit talent. The issue as you know is FA isn’t a great market to do that. 

Mid-level FAs are constantly being low-balled and accepting short term low investment type deals. That is in part why I find it so funny that an actual exec would criticize the Orioles for not participating in that market with a young, inexperienced core. What's the benefit? Would Joc Pederson improve attendance and TV ratings? Highly doubt that. Teams are also unwilling to part with impact prospects for short term rentals. So even if the O's signed a good FA and he performed well enough to trade him would that value be that much more than what they got for someone like Milone? Seems doubtful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If you trade for a player, they have to come.

And no, the Royals (like every other team) will be good because of who they develop but adding supplemental pieces can be helpful.

Sure. I get that. If you want to deal Santander and get a legit piece that works. Something along those lines. 
 

Clearly adding supplemental players helps. Look at Pearce, McLouth etc. 

 

I go back to the late 2000’s. Millar, Huff, Hernandez etc all signed here as FA’s because nobody else wanted them. 
 

The OF, C and 1B is solid for now. If you are going to spend it has to be on a 3B, SS or 2nd and course pitching. My guess is when they rest of the prospects arrive they will be more aggressive in FA and willing to deal prospects for legit talent. They aren’t there yet. I’m not happy to lose 95 plus again but this organization due to the owner was a dumpster fire 3 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, interloper said:

I could not shrug harder.

Thank you for writing this, instead of, “I could care less.” @Yossarian and I thank you!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He didn't say that. He said "They're (pitchers) throwing it by him right now!" 

I don't know what he meant by it or what he was using to come to that conclusion, but I felt his plan at the plate was lacking in several ABs that I saw this spring and he's always and I mean literally, almost always hitting with two strikes. 

i don't think it's a bat speed issue, but his need to develop a better plan of attack against professional pitching. I'm sure it was easy to take pitches until you got to two strikes against college guys because they didn't have the put away stuff that he's going to see in pro ball, particularly as he gets to the upper level.

I'm not a fan of his extreme upper cut swing either. I know the game has changed but he has a pronounced upper cut swing that leaves him little room for timing errors and will lead to him fouling off a lot of hittable pitches and striking out. 

appreciate the explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So -- not long term guys, for the most part.

Better than what we have.

Yet on the free agent market or cheaply available in trade where we wouldn't have to give up prospects to get them.

That's a pretty tall order, if you ask me.   Most good players on the free agent market are going to command an expensive long term contract.   Most players in general on the free agent market are past the top of the talent/age curve and declining.

That leaves lesser free agents... say Freddy Galvis.   Or guys who aren't good enough to make their team but are out of options but might improve us... say Adam Plutko.

Sounds like the Orioles are doing what you want.   And you have been pressed multiple times to give examples of who you might have wanted and the only  one you have given is Stroman but the QO negated that possibility of him meeting your requirements.

For all your hand wringing in this thread, it seems to me like the Orioles did get the type of player that fits your profile, and I don't think there are too many other guys they could have gotten that fit your description.

Well first of all, there are countless of players they could have traded for.  I have named a lot of players from other teams who play IF positions and are now blocked.  I have also said you could take on a poorish 1-2 year deal that a team wants to dump and take back a ML ready player in a position of need.  
 

A lot of teams couldn’t/wouldn’t spend this offseason and a lot of teams wanted to get rid of payroll.   The Orioles are in a financial position to exploit that.

I wanted to see them add a back of the pen arm, a starter or 2 (Harvey may qualify) and I did call on them to add Franco earlier and I predicted they would sign Galvis from the get go.

 But they could have potentially done better at those positions as well.  
 

I still would like to have that extra bat, ala Nunez.    
 

Give this team another innings eater/decent starter, another bat (or at least better in some spots than we Have) and a good Bp arm and I think they could be a lot better.  
 

On top of that, if they are able to acquire pieces who could be here beyond this year and be a help long term, that’s even better.

Like i said, I am glad they signed Franco.  They did partially address this when they did that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LTO's said:

Mid-level FAs are constantly being low-balled and accepting short term low investment type deals. That is in part why I find it so funny that an actual exec would criticize the Orioles for not participating in that market with a young, inexperienced core. What's the benefit? Would Joc Pederson improve attendance and TV ratings? Highly doubt that. Teams are also unwilling to part with impact prospects for short term rentals. So even if the O's signed a good FA and he performed well enough to trade him would that value be that much more than what they got for someone like Milone? Seems doubtful. 

I recall a couple of years ago on MLBN Dan O’Dowd was complaining teams were too reluctant to deal prospects at the deadline. I know you are using Pederson as an example but here the OF is in good shape. You have to find a fit that meets your needs. 
 

If the good teams aren’t wiling to deal players at the deadline then like you say why do it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No, he’s right..it’s embarrassing to the sport.  It’s embarrassing to any sport.  Tanking isn’t a bad thing..in fact, I would encourage it especially in the NFL and NBA.

However, tanking doesn’t and shouldn’t take as long as these teams draw it out.  Fans have been fooled into thinking it needs to take this long but it’s just a way for owners to line their pockets a little longer.  

How does constant losing help the owner line their pockets more? There is an inverse relationship to income and winning record. Sucking makes no money for the owners, aside from the inflationary increase in overall value of the team. And waiting COSTS money, because your stars age out of their value.

I want a significant increase in wins this year or I’ll be annoyed. I want contention next year or I’ll be REALLY annoyed. But I understand the task at hand and the process involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philip said:

How does constant losing help the owner line their pockets more? There is an inverse relationship to income and winning record. Sucking makes no money for the owners, aside from the inflationary increase in overall value of the team. And waiting COSTS money, because your stars age out of their value.

I want a significant increase in wins this year or I’ll be annoyed. I want contention next year or I’ll be REALLY annoyed. But I understand the task at hand and the process involved.

Payroll is a huge operating expense.  Drop that by 100M and you save a lot.

Sure, you may not sell as many tickets but you will still sell your 1.3M tickets and make a very nice profit.  The MASN money is nice as well, no matter what they want to tell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Philip said:

I want a significant increase in wins this year or I’ll be annoyed. I want contention next year or I’ll be REALLY annoyed. But I understand the task at hand and the process involved.

I want standout performances across the minor leagues at all levels. If that happens, the ML record will be immaterial to me. If not, the ML record will need to mask that failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Baltimorons have a chip on their shoulder the size of Wyoming.  Caught between DC, Philly and NYC on 95, the inferiority complex they have is insufferable.

Yeah I don't get all of that either.

All of those cities suck!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a day and age where teams have never valued prospects more, even the contending ones. Many players like Acuna or here Adam Jones sign deals which push their eventual FA into when they aren’t as productive. Combine that with a sport that has a much more dramatic aging curve than years ago and this is what you get. 
 

-teams who aren’t willing to deal prospects away like years ago  

-a lesser FA pool due to players aging faster and getting to FA at a point they aren’t as productive  

So your basic options are to skim the FA market which most years is thin -for players the good teams don’t want

 

-Make lateral deals say like a Santander for a place of need

 

You can if you want to be aggressive in FA but you have to live with the consequences of a long term deals. You can in theory deal your own prospects for established talent but you are more than likely in a spot where that makes no sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well first of all, there are countless of players they could have traded for.  I have named a lot of players from other teams who play IF positions and are now blocked.  I have also said you could take on a poorish 1-2 year deal that a team wants to dump and take back a ML ready player in a position of need.  
 

A lot of teams couldn’t/wouldn’t spend this offseason and a lot of teams wanted to get rid of payroll.   The Orioles are in a financial position to exploit that.

I wanted to see them add a back of the pen arm, a starter or 2 (Harvey may qualify) and I did call on them to add Franco earlier and I predicted they would sign Galvis from the get go.

 But they could have potentially done better at those positions as well.  
 

I still would like to have that extra bat, ala Nunez.    
 

Give this team another innings eater/decent starter, another bat (or at least better in some spots than we Have) and a good Bp arm and I think they could be a lot better.  
 

On top of that, if they are able to acquire pieces who could be here beyond this year and be a help long term, that’s even better.

Like i said, I am glad they signed Franco.  They did partially address this when they did that.

I think there are fewer players like that than you think.

We signed Galvis and Franco (and Sanchez until we reversed course on him).   We traded for Plutko who is in exactly the position you describe.   So we made a bunch of moves that sound like exactly what you are loudly and frequently bewailing we did not do.

I just don't think there are many players we could have that have any value at all worth giving up future value for.   I'd rather play Urias at 2B all year than give up even a probably-never-will-be like Ryan McKenna for someone who is probably at best a tiny improvement over Urias and is equally unlikely to have future value.   I just don't think you are being realistic in your expectations.   Any improvement to this year's team that doesn't come at the cost of the future would be very  minimal at best.   Yet you are making it seem like our offseason is a failure because we only did a little bit of improvement to this year's team (Galvis/Franco).

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Payroll is a huge operating expense.  Drop that by 100M and you save a lot.

Sure, you may not sell as many tickets but you will still sell your 1.3M tickets and make a very nice profit.  The MASN money is nice as well, no matter what they want to tell you.

We know with a pretty good degree of accuracy what they get from MASN, or at least what they were getting in 2012-16.    We used to have to guess, but the arbitration decisions and court proceedings pretty much laid it all out there.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Was hoping this would happen by the end of the year. Hopefully he keeps up his hot start. If neither he nor Kjerstad drop off (certainly no sure thing), we could have 6 top 100 guys in the off-season (the 2021 #5 pick).
    • I’m still expecting offensive improvement over the remainder of the season but I must admit that the offense is worse than I thought it would be.     Mullins is far exceeding expectations but no one else is and a lot of players are below expectations.  Getting Santander back will be helpful, if he can start hitting and Mountcastle returning to form would be a huge boost. Just gotta wonder if we see improvement from C, 3rd and 2nd and if/when Mullins declines, how far is the drop?
    • Well, like I said, someone can go to Bowie. Between Henderson, Ortiz or Westburg, we can have someone in AA.  You can argue that either or all of them could be there imo. But generally speaking, you are correct. To me, it’s more important for Henderson and Westburg to play as much at SS as they can.  We need to figure out if those guys can stay there.  You should have some very solid idea by the end of the year...and perhaps, they already know but just in case you they don’t, you should be using this year to be sure. You know guys like Ortiz and Servideo can play SS, at least from the info we have heard.  If they have to play second base or the OF some this year while you figure out Henderson and Westburg, so be it.
    • My mental image of the 1960s is that it was a lot of low scoring pitchers duels with a lot of little shortstops bunting and stealing bases.  But the stealing bases part is all wrong.  In 1966 the Orioles had the best offense in the league and stole 55 bases all year, caught 41 times. The only teams to steal 100 bases were the White Sox and A's, and both of them were within 0.02 runs of being the worst offenses in the AL. In '66 the average AL team stole four fewer bases than the average AL team in 2019. In 1964 the Orioles were 4th in the majors in steals, but Luis Aparicio was the only player on the team with more than four.  Luis led the AL in steals nine straight years, but those included totals of 21, 28, 29, 31, and 40.
    • Can’t really argue with any of these on their own merits, but you do then face the question of how you reallocate the playing time to account for these changes.   For example, Joey Ortiz is hitting .295/.404/.458 at Aberdeen.   Good, but not necessarily promotion material at this early stage.    So what do you do with his playing time if Henderson and Westburg are suddenly both in Aberdeen as well?     Adam Hall is off to a slow start there, but are you going to demote him when he already played a full, successful season at Delmarva in 2019?     These are tricky decisions.   I can’t disagree with the idea that you look at the players who are most likely to be successful major leaguers, and when they are ready to move up a level, you move them up regardless of who else that affects.   But, it does make things more complicated when you’ve got other decent prospects who are going to lose playing time if a promotion is made.   
    • “Single-A Delmarva infielder Gunnar Henderson was named Low-A East League Player of the Week after going 10-for-23 (.435) with four doubles, a home run, 13 RBIs and seven runs scored.” https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/05/diaz-going-on-injured-list-santander-completes-assignment.html
    • Because a lot of people don’t want to go out to “enjoy themselves” while wearing those stupid masks.  Once Hogan said no more masks, that was good enough. I went to the store yesterday and almost everyone was still wearing them.  If that’s how it’s going to be, that’s fine.  It’s your choice.  I am just glad I have the option to not wear them.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...