Jump to content
Il BuonO

John Means 2021

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

The thing I always remember about the McGee trade is that it resulted in Eddie Murray leading the Majors in batting average but not winning a batting title.  Murray batted .330 for the Dodgers.  Meanwhile, McGee won his second NL batting title, hitting .335 for the Cardinals, but only hit .324 for the season when factoring in his time in Oakland.  George Brett won the AL batting crown at .329, which made him the only player to win batting titles in three different decades.

And if there was ever a player this exact scenario would happen to it’s Eddie. Highest batting average in MLB, but not recognized as the batting champion in either league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's finally get a great starting pitcher and everybody wants to trade him.  The O's don't need to trade Means, they need another starter or 2 like him. 

We dont know what teams are offering. Maybe someone will step up with an outrageous package. If not, then hold onto him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What makes you think that?

I don't think they are going to extend him and that he's going to be expensive by the time they hopefully will be competitive. 

Dumbest thing they can do is to keep him and let him walk for nothing.

 

Oh wait... I understand now why you don't think they will trade him.

Point taken.

Its the Oriole Way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW Eno Sarris' podcast Friday had Means in its rundown reviewing him as a trade candidate with he and the co-host guessing 15% and 40% on his trade chances this year.   He's an MLB generalist I think is pretty good, and the topic of building block Means wasn't heavily considered.

Lance McCullers is an approximately as good pitcher who sold some years recently - five at $17M/each, which to me felt a nice get for the player's Age 28-32 seasons.   He's making 6.5 in his final Arb year after being sidelined a good chunk of the Arb window without performances to pump up Arb earnings.   He earned 2.5, 4 and 4 the last three years.

Means' first FA year 2024 is his Age 32 season, so would you want to buy it for 1/17 from here?   He is last year minimum wage and Arb 2022-2024 where maybe it goes 4/8/12 if he continues pitching well.   Overall maybe 4/40 for one extra year, or 5/55 if Elias really loves as a centerpiece?

B-Ref doesn't have his 11th round bonus, but 150K was typical for the ones they did have.  I suppose he's 28 with "only" ~$2M in career earnings where a $5M signing bonus this month or next might still represent a significant carrot.   May 26 was ye olde Adam Jones extension time nine years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the O's trade Means, might as well push the rebuild back a year or two.  Maybe put Mullins or even Hays on the block.  Maybe 2024 becomes our year to be competitive.  Anyone else tired of rebuilding.  I thought the goal of a MLB team was to win a World Series, not to have the best farm team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If the O's trade Means, might as well push the rebuild back a year or two.  Maybe put Mullins or even Hays on the block.  Maybe 2024 becomes our year to be competitive.  Anyone else tired of rebuilding.  I thought the goal of a MLB team was to win a World Series, not to have the best farm team. 

I do not think winning the World Series is the primary goal of all, or even most, owners.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

 

If the Orioles trade Means, they might as well push the rebuild back a year or two. Maybe put Mullins or even Hays are on the block. Maybe 2024 becomes our year to be competitive. Is anyone else besides myself tired of rebuilding ??? I thought that the goal of a MLB team was to win a World Series, not to have the best farm team. 

 

 

 

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

 

I do not think that winning the World Series is the primary goal of all, or even most, owners.

 

o

 

Good scrutinization. A "goal" and a "dream" are not necessarily mutually inclusive of one another ...... and for the majority of MLB teams which are not cash cows (all of the mid-market and small-market teams), the best that they can realistically aim for is to build a perennial contender that may or may not win a Pennant or a World Series in the process.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

John Means 1.70 ERA is the lowest for an Orioles pitcher in his first 6 starts of a season since) Jim Palmer )sat at 1.13 in 1977. 

 

SOURCE: ) Roch Kubatko

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

FWIW Eno Sarris' podcast Friday had Means in its rundown reviewing him as a trade candidate with he and the co-host guessing 15% and 40% on his trade chances this year.   He's an MLB generalist I think is pretty good, and the topic of building block Means wasn't heavily considered.

Lance McCullers is an approximately as good pitcher who sold some years recently - five at $17M/each, which to me felt a nice get for the player's Age 28-32 seasons.   He's making 6.5 in his final Arb year after being sidelined a good chunk of the Arb window without performances to pump up Arb earnings.   He earned 2.5, 4 and 4 the last three years.

Means' first FA year 2024 is his Age 32 season, so would you want to buy it for 1/17 from here?   He is last year minimum wage and Arb 2022-2024 where maybe it goes 4/8/12 if he continues pitching well.   Overall maybe 4/40 for one extra year, or 5/55 if Elias really loves as a centerpiece?

B-Ref doesn't have his 11th round bonus, but 150K was typical for the ones they did have.  I suppose he's 28 with "only" ~$2M in career earnings where a $5M signing bonus this month or next might still represent a significant carrot.   May 26 was ye olde Adam Jones extension time nine years back.

Means first FA year is 2025 it he's Age 32 season.

Probably Means peak value is July 2023  at age 30 when he has two pennant races to go before FA.   If they wait until the 2023/24 off season to trade him he will have lost some of his trade value.   And the O's certainly don't want him to walk after the 2024 season and get nothing for him.  So rather than trade him in July 2023 I would try to extend him this coming off season.  I would rather do 4 years plus an option year but that is up for negotiations.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

Means first FA year is 2025 it he's Age 32 season.

Probably Means peak value is July 2023  at age 30 when he has two pennant races to go before FA.   If they wait until the 2023/24 off season to trade him he will have lost some of his trade value.   And the O's certainly don't want him to walk after the 2024 season and get nothing for him.  So rather than trade him in July 2023 I would try to extend him this coming off season.  I would rather do 4 years plus an option year but that is up for negotiations.

Why would you say his peak value is in July 2023?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

Means will be aiming to lead his Orioles to another series win ......

 

 

SEATTLE MARINERS  )))))) (May 5th) 

Mitchell Haniger - RF

Tyler France - DH

Kyle Seager - 3B

Kyle Lewis - CF

Thomas James "T.J."  Murphy, Jr. - C

Evan White - 1B

Dylan Moore - 2B

Sam Haggerty - LF

John Paul "J.P." Crawford - SS

菊池 雄星 - LHP )) (1-1, 4.40 ERA)

 

 https://www.baseballpress.com/Lineups

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...