Frobby

The defense thread 2021

17 hours ago, interloper said:

Unfortunately, I don't really see a strong SS candidate in the system. Gunnar is a 3B at best and I have my doubts about even that, defensively speaking. 

Based on what, out of curiosity?

I may have missed this part of the discussion but why isn’t Hall a SS? Grenier is terrible so that ship sailed but why not Hall?

7 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Based on what, out of curiosity?

Just what little I've seen of him. Kinda stiff out there. More a hunch than anything, I'm just out here being a dingus on a message board. 

Game 17, April 20

- In the first inning, Hays slipped while picking up a ball that was hugging the wall, and the ball got past him, turning a double into a triple.  

- Hays made up for it later in the inning with a leaping catch up against the wall in the RF corner, saving a double and ending the inning.   

- Franco made an error, his fourth on the young season.  

- Ruiz failed to cleanly field a ball at 2B, scored a hit but it was borderline.  (Edit: later changed to an error.)

- Galvis let a sharp grounder up the middle get under his glove to knock in the 3rd Marlins run.   

- Harvey caught a line drive and immediately fired to first for a double play.   

- Sisco blocked two very wild pitches and overall caught a good game IMO.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Something some folks thought they would never see.

https://mlb-cuts-diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2021/2021-04/21/f5024f8f-4d521f5b-fc41581d-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_4000K.mp4

No the runner had no business going and a cut off man was involved but still, it counts.

I think he may have had him without Galvis. Either way, I’ve been more worried about him getting to balls and his internal clock, and they both looked good on that play.

Game 20, April 24

Maikel Franco made his 5th error of the season.   On pace for a 40-error season.   He’s a putrid defender.  

Ruiz at 2B tried to make a backhand flip to Galvis, but the flip was low and behind Galvis as he was reaching 2B.   Galvis somehow reached back behind his body and gloved the ball on a bounce while maintaining contact with 2B with his toe for the force play.   

Later, Ruiz, playing near 2B in a RH shift, charged a slow roller on the SS side of 2B and threw across his body for the out at 1B.   Replay seemed to show that the runner narrowly beat the throw, but the umpire’s call stood and it was a great effort by Ruiz in any event.   

Is it really that hard to find OF'ers who are at least average. Watching DJ Stewart run like a catcher and throw like a 12 yo, and then I have no idea why Hays is leaping on the warning track three feet away from where the ball is hitting the base of the wall. I don't maybe it was the rain. These guys are just bad. Perhaps you could hide a few on a competitive team but really is anyone on this roster going to be on the next Orioles playoff team? Will the Orioles ever make the playoffs again? Looks like we will get another top 5 pick, hopefully Elias will stop missing.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:44 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Is it really that hard to find OF'ers who are at least average. Watching DJ Stewart run like a catcher and throw like a 12 yo, and then I have no idea why Hays is leaping on the warning track three feet away from where the ball is hitting the base of the wall. I don't maybe it was the rain. These guys are just bad. Perhaps you could hide a few on a competitive team but really is anyone on this roster going to be on the next Orioles playoff team? Will the Orioles ever make the playoffs again? Looks like we will get another top 5 pick, hopefully Elias will stop missing.

;) 

A local fan writes in with some questions.  It sounds like perhaps he has a particular view of the Orioles.  Let's see if we can help.

Is it really that hard to find OF'ers who are at least average?  Yes it is really that hard.  

Is anyone on this roster going to be on the next Orioles playoff team?  Let us think about that one for a minute...

Will the Orioles ever make the playoffs again?  I knew that was a trick question above.  No of course no one on the roster will be on the next Orioles playoff team because there will never ever be another Orioles playoff team.  Almost got us with that one.

Will Elias ever stop missing on top 5 picks?  Cheer up me lad.  The answer to this question is a resounding yes.  Elias will most certainly become the most decorated GM in the history of baseball....just as soon as he is dismissed by the Orioles.

We here at Birdland hate to have to burst the bubbles of so many fans that look at the Orioles through rose colored glasses or after drinking the "Orange Koolaid".  It is not fun work.  But sometimes it is necessary in order to prevent those who would blindly place too much faith in their team.  We here understand what the definition of fanatic is and sometimes, like in the case of our fan above, we just have to pop the bubble and let some light in on their unrealistic optimism.  We apologize if it seems harsh, we are just trying to be helpful.

:) 

On 4/25/2021 at 11:44 AM, webbrick2010 said:

1.  Hays is an above average defensive outfielder and will prove that as the year progresses.   I didn’t see the play you referenced, but he’s very good IMO.

2.   You’ve been harping on Stewart for years and can’t seem to admit that he made it to the majors on merit.   I’m not going to say he’s a great defender, but he’s adequate and we’ll see how he hits.  

3.   Your remark that “hopefully Elias will stop missing” is ludicrous.   Not a single player he’s drafted for the O’s has played a full minor league season yet.   We have no idea how anyone he’s drafted is going to do.   But I can be pretty sure that you’ll be harping on whichever pick gets off to a disappointing start.   

On 4/25/2021 at 10:26 AM, Frobby said:

Game 20, April 24

Maikel Franco made his 5th error of the season.   On pace for a 40-error season.   He’s a putrid defender.  

Franco averages 15 errors per 145 game a year over almost 6 years in the majors.  Nothing to worry about here.  I am impressed with his strong accurate arm. No saying he is a great 3B but he looks like a bargain for 800K.