Il BuonO

Bruce Zimmerman 2021

o

In 4 out of the 5 innings that he started, Zimmermann allowed the lead-off batter to reach safely ...... it finally caught up to him in his 5th and final inning of work.

14 OUTS: )  4 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 3 Flyouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Foulout

BRUCE ANTHONY ZIMMERMAN )))))))) (vs. MARLINS, 4/21)

IP:lll4.67

H:lllll6 ) l(1 Double, 5 Singles)

R:llll 2

BB:ll2

SO:ll4

Pitches: l) 81 )(50 )Strikes, )31 )Balls) 

2021 ERA: l) 4.57 )  21.67 IP  (11 ER) 

2021 WHIP: l)  1.385  )  21.67 IP  (30 H/BB) 

2021 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .284  )(23 for 81)   

PITCHES BY INNING  

20 llll(12 lllStrikes, l.lllBalls)

17 llll(10 lllStrikes, llllllBalls)

12 llll(8lllStrikes, llllllBalls)

10 llll(7lllStrikes, ll.lllBalls) 

22 lll.l(13 lllStrikes, lllllllBalls) ) *

* )) Zimmermann recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

o

Rougned Odor )goes from batting clean-up last night to batting 9th tonight.

NEW YORK YANKEES ))))) (APRIL 27th)

David John "D.J." LeMahieu - 1B

Giancarlo Cruz-Michael Stanton - DH

Aaron James "A.J." Judge  - RF

Giovanny Urshela Salcedo - 3B

Gleyber David Torres Castro - SS

Aaron Hicks - CF

Clint Jackson "C.J." Frazier - LF

Kyle Higashioka - C

Rougned Odor - 2B

Corey Scott Kluber - RHP )) (0-2, 5.40 ERA)

https://www.baseballpress.com/Lineups

o

Zimmermann had nothing tonight. It reminded me of his first start last year.   No life on his pitches, and control but no command.   Hopefully just one of those days.   

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Zimmermann had nothing tonight. It reminded me of his first start last year.   No life on his pitches, and control but no command.   Hopefully just one of those days.   

He still threw 65% of his pitches for strikes and his swingstr% was 19%.  

They were really barreling it up on him last night. Every pitcher has a couple games per season like this, normally it results in 7 or 8 runs instead of 4. Hopefully he does better in his next start.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

They were really barreling it up on him last night. Every pitcher has a couple games per season like this, normally it results in 7 or 8 runs instead of 4. Hopefully he does better in his next start.

That’s why I pointed out the strikes and missed bats.  

Even if his stuff wasn’t as good, he was still throwing strikes and missing bats.  That helps those outings stay more manageable as opposed to the game being over by the 3rd inning.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Even if his stuff wasn’t as good, he was still throwing strikes and missing bats.  That helps those outings stay more manageable as opposed to the game being over by the 3rd inning.

I guess. He also had some very loud outs. Could have still been 6-7 runs last night, even with the number of bats he missed. Seemed like mostly good luck that he only allowed four runs.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I expect Zimmermann to throw strikes.   He’s that type of guy.   But I didn’t think his locations within the strike zone were good at all.   And I thought he was lucky to get away with only 4 runs allowed, aided by some at ‘em   balls and good defensive plays.   

By the way, where do you get your swingstr% numbers?  I don’t know where to find these.   And what’s a league average number?

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I guess. He also had some very loud outs. Could have still been 6-7 runs last night, even with the number of bats he missed. Seemed like mostly good luck that he only allowed four runs.

True...luck is involved in every single outing for a pitcher.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I expect Zimmermann to throw strikes.   He’s that type of guy.   But I didn’t think his locations within the strike zone were good at all.   And I thought he was lucky to get away with only 4 runs allowed, aided by some at ‘em   balls and good defensive plays.   

By the way, where do you get your swingstr% numbers?  I don’t know where to find these.   And what’s a league average number?

Baseball reference or fangraphs.  

They calculate them differently.  Baseball reference is strictly how many swings and misses based on total strikes.

So, if they throw 60 strikes and miss 15 bats, that’s a 25% swingstr%.  

On baseball reference, the average is around 18% I believe but remember, that’s all pitchers..starters are probably closer to 15% and relievers closer to 20%.

For FG, they do swing strikes based on total pitches.  I am not sure what the averages are on FG because I don’t use them but I think you can easily click on it to find that out.

Anytime I mention the swingstr% for a game, I just use the BBR method.  The ESPN box score shows you swing and misses amongst its categories of how the strikes occurred for each pitchers outing.

• Thanks 2

Thanks.   So looking at BB-ref, SwStr% is at exactly 20.0% this year.   (O’s as a team are at 20.9%, 9th best in MLB.)   By that measure, I guess you’d say Zimmermann at 19% was okay but not outstanding.   His 65% strikes was a little better than 63.6% major league average.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2021-pitches-pitching.shtml

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks.   So looking at BB-ref, SwStr% is at exactly 20.0% this year.   (O’s as a team are at 20.9%, 9th best in MLB.)   By that measure, I guess you’d say Zimmermann at 19% was okay but not outstanding.   His 65% strikes was a little better than 63.6% major league average.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2021-pitches-pitching.shtml

But again, remember that’s for all pitchers.  Relievers tend to have a higher swingstr% than starters.  My guess is 19% will be higher than league average for starters.

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But again, remember that’s for all pitchers.  Relievers tend to have a higher swingstr% than starters.  My guess is 19% will be higher than league average for starters.

BB-ref doesn’t give a starter/reliever split, but Fangraphs does using their methodology.   Using the Fangraphs method, starters are at 11.4% and relievers 11.9% SwStr%, average for all is 11.6%.   So I’d estimate that by the BB-ref method the split is probably about 19.6% for starters, 20.5% for relievers.  That would leave Zimmermann’s night at slightly below average.   

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

BB-ref doesn’t give a starter/reliever split, but Fangraphs does using their methodology.   Using the Fangraphs method, starters are at 11.4% and relievers 11.9% SwStr%, average for all is 11.6%.   So I’d estimate that by the BB-ref method the split is probably about 19.6% for starters, 20.5% for relievers.  That would leave Zimmermann’s night at slightly below average.   

Interesting.  I know the splits have been larger in the past but perhaps with the advent of so many Ks, the gap has narrowed.