Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Moose Milligan

The second guessing Hyde thread.

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Philip said:

 And it would send a clear sign to the team to shape up.

You seem to be suggesting that one of the team's biggest problems is that they don't really care.  They show up, they goof around a while, then they go home.  Can't say I agree with that entire concept.  I think they lose more than they win because they're not quite as talented as the other teams.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You seem to be suggesting that one of the team's biggest problems is that they don't really care.  They show up, they goof around a while, then they go home.  Can't say I agree with that entire concept.  I think they lose more than they win because they're not quite as talented as the other teams.

And I would take it a step further to say that during Hyde's tenure, I believe this team has demonstrably shown that they don't quit when they get down.  They've had more than their fair share of games where the pitching has been awful and they have fallen behind but have mounted a comeback and gotten back in the game, even if they have eventually wound up losing.

Certainly there are instances of carelessness, and we notice every one of them.   Franco not running out that ground ball where the 1Bman wound up bobbling it.   Severino being lackadaisical behind the plate.   It's unrealistic to expect there to be absolutely zero instances of this kind of thing.   When it's persistent with one player, as it seems to be with Severino, maybe that is one situation where a manager can make a difference.   But every team is going to have those moments.   And I don't think the Orioles are particularly bad in that respect, and I have seen plenty of evidence that even in losing season after losing season they don't give up very often.   I didn't see Sunday's game but we were down 10-1 and got back to within 2 or 3, right?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Didn't Andy Partridge leave XTC to form the Partridge Family?  Maybe not.

More accurate to say everyone else left XTC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SteveA said:

And I would take it a step further to say that during Hyde's tenure, I believe this team has demonstrably shown that they don't quit when they get down.  They've had more than their fair share of games where the pitching has been awful and they have fallen behind but have mounted a comeback and gotten back in the game, even if they have eventually wound up losing.

Certainly there are instances of carelessness, and we notice every one of them.   Franco not running out that ground ball where the 1Bman wound up bobbling it.   Severino being lackadaisical behind the plate.   It's unrealistic to expect there to be absolutely zero instances of this kind of thing.   When it's persistent with one player, as it seems to be with Severino, maybe that is one situation where a manager can make a difference.   But every team is going to have those moments.   And I don't think the Orioles are particularly bad in that respect, and I have seen plenty of evidence that even in losing season after losing season they don't give up very often.   I didn't see Sunday's game but we were down 10-1 and got back to within 2 or 3, right?

I have no problem at all with how Hyde is managing the clubhouse.   His players play plenty hard for the most part.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There's also a decided lack of punishment for tomfoolery, buffoonery, or skylarking.  Sack him forthwith!

I would prefer to sack them anon, or apace, but forthwith works too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You seem to be suggesting that one of the team's biggest problems is that they don't really care.  They show up, they goof around a while, then they go home.  Can't say I agree with that entire concept.  I think they lose more than they win because they're not quite as talented as the other teams.

The teams biggest problem is that they are sloppy. Careless. Everyone makes careless mistakes occasionally but the Orioles are making it into an Olympic sport.  When Severino throws to an empty base, that’s careless, it’s stupid. It has nothing to do with talent.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Question:   If Hyde had pinch run Ruiz for Franco, do you think Ruiz would have scored?

I think it’s more likely. Unless the 3B coach held him (did Hyde answer that?) Valaika would have made the smart play to go halfway, and I prefer Valaika over Ruiz anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Question:   If Hyde had pinch run Ruiz for Franco, do you think Ruiz would have scored?

They probably would have called Ruiz out for entering the game in a different spot in the lineup than he already occupied.   

That aside, it did occur to me that the play arguably showed why Hyde pinch ran Ruiz for Franco the other night.  
 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might have to chalk this up to Elias. 26 man roster and we’re still playing with a 3 man bench. With the new extra inning rules do we really need all those pitchers to cover innings? We’re losing games because we need 3+ LR options at all times. 
 

Stevie Wilkerson seems like the perfect 4th bench guy at the moment. He’s not a prospect so we don’t care about him sitting on the bench. He’s competent in the IF/OF.  He’s fast and a good base runner. He can eat an inning in a blowout by pitching. Heck, or save a game. Did that happen???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was behind in the DVR as it was live but did not like the choice to let Zimmermann take his at-bat in the Top of the 5th.   Those 27 outs are precious, and it's not like the privilege of Inning #5 for that caliber of pitcher is any great shakes.   There's an off day tomorrow.

Tate hasn't pitched since Friday, Sulser fresh from AAA, Wells hasn't pitched in too long.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I was behind in the DVR as it was live but did not like the choice to let Zimmermann take his at-bat in the Top of the 5th.   Those 27 outs are precious, and it's not like the privilege of Inning #5 for that caliber of pitcher is any great shakes.   There's an off day tomorrow.

Tate hasn't pitched since Friday, Sulser fresh from AAA, Wells hasn't pitched in too long.

 

I wasn’t bothered by it but then he yanks him with 2 outs in bottom of inning. I assumed he didn’t hit because of obviously no runs as well as 4 LH bats on bench. 
 

Terrible pitch selection to Aguilar- on pitcher and catcher. 
 

Then with RH batter up brings in Sulser who is reverse splits guy with an off day tomorrow. Would not have minded him facing a lefty. Let Zimmerman face next batter. Sulser is not someone who should be facing a RH with men on base. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

o

 

I think that the Orioles would have been better off taking 2 out of 3 games from Athletics this past weekend, instead of just salvaging the final game of the series to avoid the sweep ...... bad decision by Hyde to only win one of them.

 

o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • F cancer! I lost a good friend to leukemia about 15 years ago. 28 years old and newly married.
    • With he O's already 7 back in the standings it likely that Matt Harvey, Freddy Galvis and Pedro Severino will to on the trade block in July.   Harvey and Galvis because they are free agents at the end of the season.  Severino because he will be in in 2nd arbitration year and the O's are probably not going to want pay him.  They probably will not offer arbitration so if any team will  offer something in trade for him at the trade deadline the O's will probably move him.  Adley will be the O's starting catcher in 2022. Harvey leaving would just make more room for Kremer, Lopez, Akin, Zimmermann, Lowther  and at some point Baumann in the rotation. If Galvis goes  Valaika and Urias would take over the SS duties.   I look for Wilkerson to be promoted soon and given a shot at 2B.  Franco has no trade value IMO and will probably stay the season at 3B.   Valaika, Urias, Ruiz and Wilkerson all have options so they can be moved up and down to Norfolk depending of production and health.   Jones and Bannon don't appear ready for the majors to me and are already being challenged for their AAA spots by Vavra and Dorrian.   I don't think Richie Martin makes it through the season on the 40 man roster if he continues his poor hitting.  They can use his roster spot for someone else. Sisco, Wynns and Cumberland will share the catching duties  if Severino is traded until Adley is ready.  I don't expect Adley to be promoted to the majors this season. Santander, Wilkerson and Cumberland could help the O's offense.   I don't know whether Cumberland catching would be a good thing for the young pitchers though.  i think of more as a hitter.  
    • I'm still sticking to my prediction, exactly 70 wins.
    • Last week, Glenn Clark had Jim Callis on his show.  I heard a few min of the interview and he was talking about the Vandy pitchers. While I can’t say I would be upset if they took either of them, I can say right now that I hope they don’t.  I think there are a lot of red flags there that give me a lot of pause.
    • I could still see this team winning 70-73 games this season. There have been some pleasant surprises. Some of the best pitching we've seen over the past few years. (3.44 Bullpen ERA is 4th best in the AL, even after a bit of a shaky week for the pen') Could really use a decent catcher and 2nd baseman, though.
    • I think that's the key. It's "Pod Seating" so you're already in a group of people you came to the game with and you know them. Away from that group (concessions, bathroom breaks) you probably should mask up. I know I would.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...