Tony-OH

Yermin Mercedes (White Sox, former O's farmhand)

3 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Ok, I hadn’t remembered that was the same offseason we made the infamous Glenn Davis trade. So if we had done absolutely nothing that winter, we would have had Tettleton/Harnisch/Schilling/Finley entering their prime years as we opened OPACY. Ouch!

The two moves were connected roster-wise - the thought was needed to replenish those IP.   Happened the very next day.    Milligan at 1B had been awesome in 1990, so I guess got priority over Tettleton for the 1991 DH job as pieces shuffled for the "stud" 1B.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This is a big gripe of mine, the team claiming that "no outside food or drink" is one of their 2021 safety measures. Seems like more of a convenient way to put an end to that policy, particularly in that bringing your own food/drink would seem SAFER from a limiting contact between people in the stadium perspective.

How about a 10 minute deep cleaning between each use of a bathroom stall.  That would be a smarter measure to stop the spread of Covid.  (Or even hourly cleaning of bathroom stalls).  How many Covid infections have really been spread by "outside food"?

6 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

The two moves were connected roster-wise - the thought was needed to replenish those IP.   Happened the very next day.    Milligan at 1B had been awesome in 1990, so I guess got priority over Tettleton for the 1991 DH job as pieces shuffled for the "stud" 1B.

Yikes. Here's what the O's gave up in 24 hrs.:

WAR, 1991 ff.    
Finley        43.5    
Harnisch    17.6    
Schilling    80.2    
Tettleton    17.9    
Total lost: 159.2

Davis        0.2    
Robinson    -0.6    
Total gained: -0.4        

Total, net: 159.6

10 yrs    16 WAR/yr.    
16 yrs.    10 WAR/yr.    

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

ZiPS had him at .712 before the season, but now predicts .756 the rest of the season, not including what he’s done so far.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/april-hitting-stats-mean-nothing-except-they-kinda-do/

Mullins got a bump from .686 to .711.

A fifty point bump seems like a lot, but I'd guess that they're now using batted ball data that has much quicker, smaller stabilization samples?

4 hours ago, now said:

Yikes. Here's what the O's gave up in 24 hrs.:

WAR, 1991 ff.    
Finley        43.5    
Harnisch    17.6    
Schilling    80.2    
Tettleton    17.9    
Total lost: 159.2

Davis        0.2    
Robinson    -0.6    
Total gained: -0.4        

Total, net: 159.6

10 yrs    16 WAR/yr.    
16 yrs.    10 WAR/yr.    

Eventually all of the lost players would have hit free agency so you'd have to decide if the value beyond that should be captured in an analysis here.  But you could imagine the mid-90s Orioles with all that talent and all the OPACY money and think of something dynastic.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This is a big gripe of mine, the team claiming that "no outside food or drink" is one of their 2021 safety measures. Seems like more of a convenient way to put an end to that policy, particularly in that bringing your own food/drink would seem SAFER from a limiting contact between people in the stadium perspective.

I would like to see a team official try to explain the scientific rationale behind this policy.  I'm open to maybe missing something, but I can't think of a logical reason why this would help things.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would like to see a team official try to explain the scientific rationale behind this policy.  I'm open to maybe missing something, but I can't think of a logical reason why this would help things.

Facts don’t matter anymore.

• Upvote 1

The no outside food policy may be a misguided response to the current situation, but I don’t think it’s part of some secret plot to abolish permanently the O’s very liberal policies on outside food.    They could have altered that policy a long time ago if they’d wanted to - they’ve been far more accommodating to fans than most teams on this score, for a long time.   

I guess we’ll find out next year.   

PS - there was a post TAMC made mistakenly in this thread instead of the thread about the in-game experience.   Now Drungo, SG and I have all responded to that, but it doesn’t really belong here.    I’m going to copy my post and put it in the correct thread, but leave this one here.   

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Baby Yaz is putting up a 613 OPS in the early going. 

Well, it was .459 just one game before that: interesting what going 2 for 4 with a homer this late in the season can do to your averages. 7 walks in 46 plate appearances shows pitchers are being cautious with Little Yaz.

Idiotic management by the Oriole brainiacs.

13 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Man, that was bad two days of trades in Orioles history.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I remember being aghast at the time even just about the Tettleton give-away. I couldn't believe that all we had gotten was Jeff Robinson, who had injury suspicions already coming off of a 145-inning, 5.96 ERA season.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Man, that was bad two days of trades in Orioles history.

Who was the Trade-meister back then?  I see it was probably Roland Hemond--had a long and celebrated career....

This looks like it could possibly be another miss from the Orioles. Teams that operate the way the Orioles want to operate dont really have the luxury of too many misses, they have to be able to evaluate and squeeze value out of every asset in the organization.  They need to sell on the high and buy on the low and I have yet to see Elias show me that skill.

22 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I figured you would be reassuring us that letting him go was the right move because of personality/maturity issues.

I wasn't kidding around. I remember reading a story or two about YM being problematic. Maybe he has grown up a little.