Sign in to follow this  
half hop

The Davis Line

The traditional futility for hitting is known as the Mendoza Line...200 BA. I suggest this needs to be updated in MLB lore to the Davis Line...167 BA. 

19 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

As an alternative, might I suggest the “Davis Clause”. Every contract should have a minimum performance standard. 

This is for more important, but it will sadly never happen.

18 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

This is for more important, but it will sadly never happen.

Hard to imagine the players union ever conceding on this, but it is a pretty bizarre reality to me. You contract an individual on a personal services contract for their unique skill set, and then that player is not able to passably perform the services for which they were contracted. There should be a non-performance mechanism. Players often receive performance incentives, but owners never receive performance minimums. I imagine players could receive higher value contracts if owners didn’t have to solely carry the risk of total loss contracts. Anyhow, Davis has become the standard for disaster contracts. I wouldn’t much care except it adversely affects the ability of the team to remain competitive, which very much affects the fans of that team, and not just the owners. 

11 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I wouldn’t much care except it adversely affects the ability of the team to remain competitive

Does it?

It *might* next year, but I doubt it.

It hasn't to date.

17 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Hard to imagine the players union ever conceding on this, but it is a pretty bizarre reality to me. You contract an individual on a personal services contract for their unique skill set, and then that player is not able to passably perform the services for which they were contracted. There should be a non-performance mechanism. Players often receive performance incentives, but owners never receive performance minimums. I imagine players could receive higher value contracts if owners didn’t have to solely carry the risk of total loss contracts. Anyhow, Davis has become the standard for disaster contracts. I wouldn’t much care except it adversely affects the ability of the team to remain competitive, which very much affects the fans of that team, and not just the owners. 

Owners have the choice not to offer contracts like Davis's.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Owners have the choice not to offer contracts like Davis's.

As far as I have heard only the O's even made him an actual offer.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does it?

It *might* next year, but I doubt it.

It hasn't to date.

Right now it seems the O’s wouldn’t be spending even if there was relief from his full contract, but I’m talking more generally. Unless you’re a big market team, having a disaster contract clearly does put you at a competitive disadvantage. Doesn’t mean you can’t still compete, but it makes it more difficult. What % of our payroll is currently going to one player, contracted for his ability to hit a thrown ball who is no longer able to hit a thrown ball? (I honestly don’t know what my point is). 

12 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Right now it seems the O’s wouldn’t be spending even if there was relief from his full contract, but I’m talking more generally. Unless you’re a big market team, having a disaster contract clearly does put you at a competitive disadvantage. Doesn’t mean you can’t still compete, but it makes it more difficult. What % of our payroll is currently going to one player, contracted for his ability to hit a thrown ball who is no longer able to hit a thrown ball? (I honestly don’t know what my point is). 

I mean I know what you are saying but git better noob?

Don't sign older players to huge contracts if it will torpedo your team if they don't perform.  Don't take the risk.

All the information was telling the O's to not sign Davis to that contract, they did it anyway.  I can't have sympathy for the owners. 

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As far as I have heard only the O's even made him an actual offer.

Duquette had already traded for his Chris Davis replacement in Trumbo until Anglelos (and probably Buck) talked with Davis' agent. 

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

As an alternative, might I suggest the “Davis Clause”. Every contract should have a minimum performance standard. 

This is actually a pretty good negotiation tool right there. Has this ever been done? Union would probably 86 it

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

So 29 owners knew the right thing to do?

Heard from my Detroit Tigers friend that Mike Ilitch was getting ready to sign Chris Davis until getting overruled by his GM. 

4 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

So 29 owners knew the right thing to do?

Word is that Boras was trying to talk Ilitch into Davis as an outfielder but his GM convinced him not to make an offer.

Other than that I never heard a word about any team having interest at the number he was asking for.

I'm sure if his number dropped low enough some team other than the Orioles would have been interested, but he would have cost a first round pick.

53 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

MFYs have had numerous examples of big contracts gone bust (the "Fat Toad" comes to mind, LOL). No sweat; just move on to the next.