Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
half hop

The Davis Line

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean I know what you are saying but git better noob?

Don't sign older players to huge contracts if it will torpedo your team if they don't perform.  Don't take the risk.

All the information was telling the O's to not sign Davis to that contract, they did it anyway.  I can't have sympathy for the owners. 

“Congratulations Mr. O’Corn, I’m thrilled to hire you as my new GM. I’ve always had a real respect, I mean that most sincerely. Obviously we all want to win, I want to win a championship. And I know you want a long career in baseball. and you’d like to keep your kids in school here in Baltimore. Now tell me, should I give you $123 million to work with or $100 million? Which is going to give you a better shot at delivering me a World Series champion?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I agree that Davis’ contract was insanely stupid long before he showed us how stupid it was by his performance. Angeles victimized himself. But I’m talking more generally about non-performance of contracts. I think the top earners would fare even better if not for the associated risks by ownership. They aren’t playing with Monopoly money. The risk builds a discounting into what owners will spend. And smaller market teams are less able to take risks because the affect of one Davis-like contract on their smaller payroll is huge. On what principle should players receive the full value of a contract they unable to satisfy competently? We’re rained out tonight....I wouldn’t be asking otherwise. Wait, did you call me noob?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One last thought. When the reserve clause died in court and all players could become free agents every year, the players union was smart and agreed to a service requirement. It was good for salaries and good for the sport to control supply/demand, even if it seemed like a giveaway by the players. If there was a non-performance clause built into free agent contracts that gave some level of relief to owners, it would benefit salaries and the sport. Small to mid size teams would have more ability to chase top talent because the affect of a bad contract would be less calamitous to their limited payroll means if it was discounted by some percentage for non-performance. Ask Scott Boras if he’d rather have three teams bidding for his client or six. Our very own Albert Belle contract made insuring contracts fairly cost prohibitive (though it kinda seems like we’re keeping Davis on the roster for some reason other than insanity). But that practice of insuring contracts showed that there’s more money to spend on players if you give owners some level of protection from disaster contracts like Davis. Owners used to pay huge amounts to insure contracts before they became cost prohibitive. So if it’s good for competitiveness by allowing smaller teams to be more aggressive, and it’s good for player salaries, and it’s good for owners by protecting their investments, by what principle is a player entitled to the full value of a contract that they have essentially defaulted on for non-performance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contracts like Davis really hurts the game overall more than it hurts the individual team. Typically teams that have a bad contract just pick up and move on from the player...meanwhile the fans hold a grudge towards the player. Baltimore is doing a disservice to the game by not releasing him and moving on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

“Congratulations Mr. O’Corn, I’m thrilled to hire you as my new GM. I’ve always had a real respect, I mean that most sincerely. Obviously we all want to win, I want to win a championship. And I know you want a long career in baseball. and you’d like to keep your kids in school here in Baltimore. Now tell me, should I give you $123 million to work with or $100 million? Which is going to give you a better shot at delivering me a World Series champion?”

Same chance of getting you a championship in 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Mom and Dad, do you want your kids to end up like Chris Davis?  Well, better just give them the Aderall now, and not mess around with the Vyvanse. Little Johnny will fail the 7th grade otherwise.”

-Every Psychiatrist 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Same chance of getting you a championship in 2022.

You’re a smart guy.....you know I’m not talking about one player, in one particular year, with one team. Anyhow, I enjoy playing devil’s advocate every now and then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

As an alternative, might I suggest the “Davis Clause”. Every contract should have a minimum performance standard. 

 

11 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

This is for more important, but it will sadly never happen.

Would there also be a clause in the standard, $550k player contract where if you pass some performance thresholds you get a $1M bonus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

 

Would there also be a clause in the standard, $550k player contract where if you pass some performance thresholds you get a $1M bonus?

I was thinking free agent contracts. ML minimum contracts don’t carry any real financial risks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I was thinking free agent contracts. ML minimum contracts don’t carry any real financial risks. 

Not for the team.  But for the player?  At any moment they could blow out a shoulder and they're starting life over.  And normal people with normal jobs can make as much in their 20s as a 10th round pick who makes the majors but never gets to arb.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

 

Would there also be a clause in the standard, $550k player contract where if you pass some performance thresholds you get a $1M bonus?

I would love to see something like that. I don't care about how much athletes make, I just want to see a way for contracts to be voided rather than see players and teams doing what we are seeing right now on regards to Davis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His contract was not only bad for the team but for the citizens of Baltimore

Need a political hack to make one of those useless and indefensible projections that they are so good at

Like Davis cost the city X jobs (lost attendance, and therefore stadium jobs due to team having no money to pay competent players), and Y dollars of city tax revenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

His contract was not only bad for the team but for the citizens of Baltimore

Need a political hack to make one of those useless and indefensible projections that they are so good at

Like Davis cost the city X jobs (lost attendance, and therefore stadium jobs due to team having no money to pay competent players), and Y dollars of city tax revenue.

It didn't hurt the team, it hurt ownership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

I would love to see something like that. I don't care about how much athletes make, I just want to see a way for contracts to be voided rather than see players and teams doing what we are seeing right now on regards to Davis 

I don't know how you do that within contract law.  The Orioles and Chris Davis signed a binding contract to (pretty much unconditionally) pay him $X.  Nobody forced them to do that, all parties did it of their own free will.  Why should the Orioles get out of jail free from their poor decisions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know how you do that within contract law.  The Orioles and Chris Davis signed a binding contract to (pretty much unconditionally) pay him $X.  Nobody forced them to do that, all parties did it of their own free will.  Why should the Orioles get out of jail free from their poor decisions?

I understand that. I know it will most likely never change, and it fully agree this was the ownerships fault more so than Davis. I'm just saying it would be better for the sport if a guy is clearly done being able to perform to have a way to end a contract.

 

Even guys like Miggy in Detroit are still somewhat able to perform...Davis is kinda in a group all of his own here. I'm sure there have been other players in this situation, but none come to mind at the moment. The easy answer to all of this would be for the ownership to just end it and pay him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...