Jump to content
LTO's

Grayson Rodriguez 2021

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Might mean he simply trying to overpower them with fastballs and getting burned.

I was there. The first home run was an inside the park job. Long flyball the dead center, that Rizer misplayed.  Second homer was a nuke job about 30 feet inside the foul pole. 
 

Grayson struggled with command of his off speed pitches.  Hitters started to sit on the fastball. They still generally weren’t hitting it hard.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the inside the parker was a major league fly out. I was down the line a bit so can’t speak as much to command, but he certainly did get some swing and miss on the slider and at least one K on the change up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Yeah, the inside the parker was a major league fly out. I was down the line a bit so can’t speak as much to command, but he certainly did get some swing and miss on the slider and at least one K on the change up.

 

37 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Yeah, the inside the parker was a major league fly out. I was down the line a bit so can’t speak as much to command, but he certainly did get some swing and miss on the slider and at least one K on the change up.

His off-speed stuff is really good, he just struggled to command it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simeon Woods-Richardson pitched for New Hampshire today, teasing the possibility of a SWR v. Grayson collision next Saturday night.

Grayson is now one of 60 Double-A Northeast starters with 4 GS; tonight I get him 8th in estimated K-BB%.   SWR is one of his betters for the moment.    He's had two games against bad teams, two against the better Akron team, and now Austin Martin and the one offense in the league as productive as the Baysox so far.

Megill 33, Otto 32, Roansy/DL Hall/Frisbee 31, SWR/Logue 30, then Grayson 29.

Rodriguez also 8th in K%, 8th in H/9, 6th in ERA among that group of 60. 

I'd peg him 4 games in as already one of the best pitchers in the league, but probably not blowing through as fast as High-A.   Saturday night if the stars align could be about as sweet as it gets outside the Futures Game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Easy 100 miles per hour and working fast. I really like the pitch clock in the minors, it encourages guys to work faster. I have never actually seen it result in any repercussions for pitchers who let it expire, but just having it there is good for the rhythm of the game, keeps things moving. 

Off speed pitches looked good although the location was an issue at times. He was locating the fastball really well and most of the opposing hitters couldn't catch up with it.

Most of the hitters didn't have a chance against him, yeah he needs to work on the off-speed location, but I don't see how he could spend the rest of the season at AA, he is just too far ahead of the batters there. If the Orioles were competitive this year, he could contribute positively to the MLB team right now, certainly out of the bullpen.

The first home run probably should have been caught by Rizer, and should have at worst been a double. A decent relay would have nailed the runner at the plate too, but it short-hopped Adley and he couldn't make the play. Very much a minor league play.

Nice review.  Thanks.  I am hoping that Grayson gets promoted to AAA along with Adley in mid July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Easy 100 miles per hour and working fast. I really like the pitch clock in the minors, it encourages guys to work faster. I have never actually seen it result in any repercussions for pitchers who let it expire, but just having it there is good for the rhythm of the game, keeps things moving. 

Off speed pitches looked good although the location was an issue at times. He was locating the fastball really well and most of the opposing hitters couldn't catch up with it.

Most of the hitters didn't have a chance against him, yeah he needs to work on the off-speed location, but I don't see how he could spend the rest of the season at AA, he is just too far ahead of the batters there. If the Orioles were competitive this year, he could contribute positively to the MLB team right now, certainly out of the bullpen.

The first home run probably should have been caught by Rizer, and should have at worst been a double. A decent relay would have nailed the runner at the plate too, but it short-hopped Adley and he couldn't make the play. Very much a minor league play.

Thanks Murph - glad you reported!  Here is a photographic representation by Patrick Cavey!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Thanks Murph - glad you reported!  Here is a photographic representation by Patrick Cavey!

Cool pictures. I would have liked to have moved around and seen him from different angles but I had my 16-month-old with me, just getting to watch the game was a win! I was right behind the plate in the second row, so I can't complain about the view I had.

Hopefully I will be able to make it out for his next start if it is Friday or Saturday. Hopefully some other Hangouters can make it too.

Baysox games are a lot more fun when the fans are into them. With yesterday being Father's Day, and an afternoon game with a giveaway for Dads, I'm sure the crowd wasn't as good as it was on Tuesday night for his first home start. It was just so damn hot and lots of kids around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Cool pictures. I would have liked to have moved around and seen him from different angles but I had my 16-month-old with me, just getting to watch the game was a win! I was right behind the plate in the second row, so I can't complain about the view I had.

Hopefully I will be able to make it out for his next start if it is Friday or Saturday. Hopefully some other Hangouters can make it too.

Baysox games are a lot more fun when the fans are into them. With yesterday being Father's Day, and an afternoon game with a giveaway for Dads, I'm sure the crowd wasn't as good as it was on Tuesday night for his first home start. It was just so damn hot and lots of kids around.

Was lucky enough to be at both. Tuesday was a way more invested crowd, conversation stopped when Grayson was on the mound. 
 

Grayson looked way better yesterday than Tuesday, btw. Had much better put away ability, seemed to locate a bit better (esp the FB).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Simeon Woods-Richardson pitched for New Hampshire today, teasing the possibility of a SWR v. Grayson collision next Saturday night.

Grayson is now one of 60 Double-A Northeast starters with 4 GS; tonight I get him 8th in estimated K-BB%.   SWR is one of his betters for the moment.    He's had two games against bad teams, two against the better Akron team, and now Austin Martin and the one offense in the league as productive as the Baysox so far.

Megill 33, Otto 32, Roansy/DL Hall/Frisbee 31, SWR/Logue 30, then Grayson 29.

Rodriguez also 8th in K%, 8th in H/9, 6th in ERA among that group of 60. 

I'd peg him 4 games in as already one of the best pitchers in the league, but probably not blowing through as fast as High-A.   Saturday night if the stars align could be about as sweet as it gets outside the Futures Game.

Great info. And SWR would be a really fun matchup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Easy 100 miles per hour and working fast. I really like the pitch clock in the minors, it encourages guys to work faster. I have never actually seen it result in any repercussions for pitchers who let it expire, but just having it there is good for the rhythm of the game, keeps things moving. 

Off speed pitches looked good although the location was an issue at times. He was locating the fastball really well and most of the opposing hitters couldn't catch up with it.

Most of the hitters didn't have a chance against him, yeah he needs to work on the off-speed location, but I don't see how he could spend the rest of the season at AA, he is just too far ahead of the batters there. If the Orioles were competitive this year, he could contribute positively to the MLB team right now, certainly out of the bullpen.

The first home run probably should have been caught by Rizer, and should have at worst been a double. A decent relay would have nailed the runner at the plate too, but it short-hopped Adley and he couldn't make the play. Very much a minor league play.

The play at the plate on the ITP "homer".  As you reported, the ball skipped past Adley.  Did Grenier throw home?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The play at the plate on the ITP "homer".  As you reported, the ball skipped past Adley.  Did Grenier throw home?

 

I'm pretty sure it was Yahn. Rizer overthrew the initial cutoff man, so it went to a secondary cutoff man, which I would assume would be the second baseman in that situation.

As an aside, I was disappointed to see Yahn starting at second yesterday instead of Joey Ortiz. I was glad to see Ortiz pinch-run for Adley in the 9th, which makes me think that Ortiz is close to returning from whatever minor injury he has. Ortiz hadn't played since Wednesday, hopefully he is full steam ahead on Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bobmc said:

The play at the plate on the ITP "homer".  As you reported, the ball skipped past Adley.  Did Grenier throw home?

 

What an awesome team name. Rubber Ducks. Gotta love minor league baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, waroriole said:

What an awesome team name. Rubber Ducks. Gotta love minor league baseball. 

In that league, I’m partial to the Hartford Yard Goats.  Also the Richmond Flying Squirrels.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Oh, I don’t agree with it, but after years of having arguments about “sunk costs” I’m left without any other impression.  In my mind, including Davis when the team was horrible, and now Severino or Franco, these guys are taking the roster spot of someone more deserving. Not always, but there’s a pretty good case for someone to take any of those spots.
    • Per MLB rules online, the ball is live if it is “unintentional interference.”
    • He was emptying the tank there.   The first inning or two, he was slower.   The first touch of 94-95 I noticed wasn't until a few innings along, on a 2 out 2 strike pitch.   But he really seemed to pick up steam in the middle. Hartford seemed kind of terrible, but at least he held serve, if not a little more.   On the Either/Or, I'd easily pick Rodriguez still.
    • It was Roth followed by Roth tonight in Delmarva.   I don’t recall that happening before with them.  
    • For the second time in a couple of weeks, an Orioles ball boy touched a fair ball that bounced in his direction tonight and the ball was ruled dead when he touched it. Unlike the other incident, this ball literally came right at the ball boy’s chair. He barely had to move his glove to a spot maybe 18 inches under his lap.  He was mightily embarrassed when he realized his mistake.   The other incident was more egregious, though neither was good and the the ball boy/girl supervisor really needs to call a meeting and let all these kids know it’s an unacceptable mistake.  (I saw another ball boy/girl do this in a recent O’s road game, I believe). That said, here’s my question.  Assume the kid jumps from his chair and the ball either rattles around under the chair or ricochets off one of the legs and back out.   In either instance, Is that a live ball? I think the kid is supposed to try to move the chair to avoid those scenarios, but I’m still curious what the ruling would  be.   By the way, a few innings later the same ball boy did a nice job of snagging a foul ball that had bounced off the side wall and was about to go into the field of play.   The fans sitting over there cheered him, something I doubt they would have done normally but they did it to, quite literally, “cheer him up” after his prior mistake.  Classy move.  
    • I don’t mind it much when the TV guys do it, since you can see the action.  It bothers me more on radio, where you’re dependent on the announcers to know what’s going on.   A skilled announcer can do an interview between the action but describe the game decently at the same time, and minimize the spillover.   
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...