Jump to content
LTO's

Grayson Rodriguez 2021

Recommended Posts

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No, there are also guys who just aren’t good enough and of course you have guys who have injury issues and just zap their abilities.  We may be seeing that with Diaz.

But what goes on between the ears is a major reason why an athlete fails or succeeds.  They are all great at what they do.  Even getting to that level is an amazing accomplishment.

I don't disagree with the above but I think mentally strong or weak is a poor choice of words.  It's not that simple.  Maybe aptitude.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a kid, I used to have this recurring dream that I was at the wheel of a car that was going and I didn’t know how to drive.   Once I learned to drive in our automatic transmission car, I started to have the same dream, only now I was at the wheel of a moving car that had a stick shift and a clutch.  Once I learned how to drive a stick shift car, I started dreaming I was in the cockpit of an airplane heading down the runway.   

My point is, you don’t put a kid in the cockpit of an airplane and say “here kid, fly this.”   There’s a bunch of intermediate steps along the way and skipping them can make it much harder to learn to fly the plane.   And that’s kind of how I feel about MiL development.   It’s not really about confidence, it’s about not throwing more at a player than he’s ready to absorb.    
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When I was a kid, I used to have this recurring dream that I was at the wheel of a car that was going and I didn’t know how to drive.   Once I learned to drive in our automatic transmission car, I started to have the same dream, only now I was at the wheel of a moving car that had a stick shift and a clutch.  Once I learned how to drive a stick shift car, I started dreaming I was in the cockpit of an airplane heading down the runway.   

My point is, you don’t put a kid in the cockpit of an airplane and say “here kid, fly this.”   There’s a bunch of intermediate steps along the way and skipping them can make it much harder to learn to fly the plane.   And that’s kind of how I feel about MiL development.   It’s not really about confidence, it’s about not throwing more at a player than he’s ready to absorb.    
 

But how you define ready to absorb is the whole point.

 Most people define it as going through each level of the minors, putting in your time at each level, achieving X amount level of success and then move on.

It’s not that cut and dry and btw, I think context is always lost in these conversations.  For the large majority of players, we all recognize that this is the best path.  But we are talking about those top guys.

No one is complaining or even discussing the development path for Robert Neustrom.  
 

And the other part of this discussion is why teams do this way of developing to the top guys.  Normally speaking it’s because of the service time rules.  You better believe that if the rules drastically change and all of a sudden, guys can become FA a lot sooner, that the “normal path of development” will change.   And that would prove that this isn’t necessarily about development as it is service time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And the other part of this discussion is why teams do this way of developing to the top guys.  Normally speaking it’s because of the service time rules.  You better believe that if the rules drastically change and all of a sudden, guys can become FA a lot sooner, that the “normal path of development” will change.   And that would prove that this isn’t necessarily about development as it is service time.

"Normally speaking it's because of the service time rules".

How many top guys do the O's have? If you're saying Adley and Grayson are the only guys held back by service time these days, I agree. But I guess it depends on how you define "top guys". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

"Normally speaking it's because of the service time rules".

How many top guys do the O's have? If you're saying Adley and Grayson are the only guys held back by service time these days, I agree. But I guess it depends on how you define "top guys". 

Do you think Mountcastle was?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think Mountcastle was?  

I think there was legitimate work being done with him with pitch recognition and controlling the strike zone. I think there was some work being done with him as a left fielder. 

Answering a binary question, I'd say yes, service time was a factor. I wouldn't say to an egregious degree because I think the strike zone work was both needed and helpful but yeah, to some degree.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I think there was legitimate work being done with him with pitch recognition and controlling the strike zone. I think there was some work being done with him as a left fielder. 

Answering a binary question, I'd say yes, service time was a factor. I wouldn't say to an egregious degree because I think the strike zone work was both needed and helpful but yeah, to some degree.

And that OBP barely above 300 shows how much that extra work paid off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess who was our MiL pitcher of the year?   Shocker - Grayson wins the Jim Palmer Award.   

OK, that was very obvious, but Drew Rom would be my vote for no. 2.   He led our MiL pitchers in IP (107.1) and wins (11) and was second to Grayson in ERA for pitchers who threw at least 75 innings (3.18).
 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2021 at 12:24 PM, Sports Guy said:

And that OBP barely above 300 shows how much that extra work paid off!

To be fair, his 6.9% BB rate this year is a vast improvement over the 4.3% he put up in AAA.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Mac said:

To be fair, his 6.9% BB rate this year is a vast improvement over the 4.3% he put up in AAA.

He’s still swinging at 41.4% of pitches outside the zone, 6th highest among all qualifiers.   Lots more he could do to improve in that area.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • He pitches with an attitude. I like that.
    • One thing we have in abundance that others do not is opportunity. We have the ability to give these players time to see if they can figure it out. In two years, the bulk of our top talent will be ready to join the club. This year and next will be dedicated to finding out which pieces fit into the mix of what we have already drafted. The rest will come through pulling out the checkbook to fill the spots we need to be a World Series winner. I’m glad you guys are waking up and getting comfortable with the realization that we are two years away. It takes patience but that patience is going to pay off. Also, invest in HMBL. Thank you.
    • 2011-2012 saw a 24-game improvement. A lot of that was was lucky pick ups(Hammel, Mclouth, Saunders) and calling up Manny. In 2013, we regressed to 85, which is probably a better indicator of how good the team was without the luck we had in 2012, but it is true that we can add 25 wins in 2022 without ruining the damn “Plan” We need to have good seasons from our prospects, and if guys like Mateo win a spot, they have to produce. Can Mateo give us a 2 WAR season? I don’t know. He hasn’t, but the potential is certainly there. Tanner Scott never has, and yet we keep throwing his lame ass out there. Chance Sisco was awful from day 1, but we kept him for way too long. No reason not to give Mateo a chance.  but I digress. If 2-3 of our high prospect arms meet their potential, if we acquire a good infielder, Santander is healthy, and Good and AR come up quickly, then sure we can. That’s a lot of IF, but it’s neither impossible, nor even improbable. Its all a question of whether Mike wants to wait.
    • I don't disagree with that conceptually, but I don't think it's going to happen simply because I don't think other teams will pony up the kind of return we'd need to justify trading Means, and for the same kinds of concerns that make me open to trading him.....that I don't trust he'll be able to perform at the same level he's presently seen as being. 
    • I think trading Means and leaving Grayson without a veteran in the rotation is not a good move.   So acquire the veteran starter first then maybe it makes more sense to trade Means.  Frankly, I don't think it going to happen.
    • Spent some time the other night looking at other rosters and Miami, Texas, Atlanta, and San Francisco looked like the best bets for dealing Mullins. And the kind of prospects SF could deal from didn't wow me. Same with Philadelphia. Roll Tide's suggestion of Jung/Winn seems like a reach to me, but that would be a great deal.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...