Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Will Lowther or Akin be called up to make Saturday's start?

Recommended Posts

I feel like this could be a day with a Lopez 3 innings and a Lopez 5 innings decision tree.  Just like with Akin, I think Kremer should have a longer rope, so would hope if there's a roster move for a double-header induced SP6 fill-in it is simply RP 8, 9, 10...however high it goes.

Hopefully if it isn't just a Plutko bullpen day and the callup is anyone any good they can keep the SP5 role going forward to begin their tryout, and Jorge can be tested for the Taylor Hearn multi-inning reliever role he might actually have a shot to be okay at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Lopez has not allowed a run in the first two innings of both of his starts.  If he does that again tonight I think the O's hold on to him as a reliever if he isn't a good starter.

I don't know which way the O's will go but I don't see it as a big deal if Kremer is optioned.  He goes to Bowie, works on this control and is eligible to return in 10 days.   What we don't know is whether Akin or Lowther are ready to start in the majors.

Or, an opener....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's have announced the starter for tonight's game vs Texas as Jorge Lopez and Sunday's starter as John Means.  But Saturday's starter is TBD.   It is Kremer place in the rotation but because of the rainout he would be pitching on three days rest.   Maybe something the O's will not want to do to a pitcher that has not been doing that well in his first two starts.

So the options are:

1) Start Kremer on three days rest

2) Start Valdez, LeBlanc, Plutko or Wells from the current major league staff

3) Call up Lowther or Akin and option Kremer 

What would you do?  What will Elias/Hyde do?

I think the bullpen game is very likely, in whatever order...

IF they call someone up I think it will be Akin. He has a little experience, has shown he can pitch. Depends a lot too, I imagine Akin and others are on some kind of 5 day throwing schedule. That would factor into it all.

EDIT: They have known since Wednesday night's rainout that they would probably be short on Saturday. They've had time to adjust any pitcher schedule. Throw an extra pen in to adjust or something.

I think Lowther (and others) with no experience will start as long men in the pen, like Wells and Sceroler.

I have no idea who they'd option. I don't think it would be Kremer but then again I don't know jack s.

 

I'm like 70-30 chance of Pen game over Akin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O's have announced the starter for tonight's game vs Texas as Jorge Lopez and Sunday's starter as John Means.  But Saturday's starter is TBD.   It is Kremer place in the rotation but because of the rainout he would be pitching on three days rest.   Maybe something the O's will not want to do to a pitcher that has not been doing that well in his first two starts.

So the options are:

1) Start Kremer on three days rest

2) Start Valdez, LeBlanc, Plutko or Wells from the current major league staff

3) Call up Lowther or Akin and option Kremer 

What would you do?  What will Elias/Hyde do?

I think they go with a bullpen game.

Akin pitches today at the alternate camp and Lowther pitched yesterday. 

Heard Sulser and Mattson are on the taxi squad and could be activated to help the bullpen game out.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Heard Sulser and Mattson are on the taxi squad and could be activated to help the bullpen game out.

Who are the O's going to option to make that happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think they go with a bullpen game.

Akin pitches today at the alternate camp and Lowther pitched yesterday. 

Heard Sulser and Mattson are on the taxi squad and could be activated to help the bullpen game out.

THAT'S good info that NObody is writing about! 🤜 🤛   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think they go with a bullpen game.

Akin pitches today at the alternate camp and Lowther pitched yesterday. 

Heard Sulser and Mattson are on the taxi squad and could be activated to help the bullpen game out.

It's almost 4pm... If it's not too late they COULD just hold him back a day.

 

Looks like a pen game tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think they go with a bullpen game.

Akin pitches today at the alternate camp and Lowther pitched yesterday. 

Heard Sulser and Mattson are on the taxi squad and could be activated to help the bullpen game out.

Sulser just pitched Wednesday. Only 1 inning. I guess he's ready again. But he doesn't have to wait 10 days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Sulser just pitched Wednesday. Only 1 inning. I guess he's ready again. But he doesn't have to wait 10 days?

Taxi Squad is some kind of free pass? The rules are just thrown out the window?

 

Have I mentioned lately that Manfred is a GENIUS??? He has the BEST ideas about the game of baseball! Even not ever playing an inning... He is SO GREAT for the sport....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Sulser just pitched Wednesday. Only 1 inning. I guess he's ready again. But he doesn't have to wait 10 days?

I think coming up to be the extra guy in the DH is an exception to the 10 days.   So that doesn't count.

He DOES have to wait 10 days from when he was optioned to the minors.   But I think that was early last week, right after we left Boston, when Armstrong came off the Daddy list.    So I think that has been 10+ days.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Taxi Squad is some kind of free pass? The rules are just thrown out the window?

 

Have I mentioned lately that Manfred is a GENIUS??? He has the BEST ideas about the game of baseball! Even not ever playing an inning... He is SO GREAT for the sport....

Nope, no free pass at all.   You still have to go on the roster, someone else has to go off it.

Taxi squad is just guys that make the road trip with you so they can travel on the team plane and be in the team "bubble" and don't have to try to get from Bowie to Texas or wherever on short notice when they get called up and sit next to virus ridden people in the coach seats on airplanes.

But obviously whoever they choose to put on the taxi squad for the Texas/Miami trip are the people they expect to potentially bring up, so it provides a valuable clue as to their intentions.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Nope, no free pass at all.   You still have to go on the roster, someone else has to go off it.

Taxi squad is just guys that make the road trip with you so they can travel on the team plane and be in the team "bubble" and don't have to try to get from Bowie to Texas or wherever on short notice when they get called up and sit next to virus ridden people in the coach seats on airplanes.

But obviously whoever they choose to put on the taxi squad for the Texas/Miami trip are the people they expect to potentially bring up, so it provides a valuable clue as to their intentions.

So Sulser and Mattson and all the other guys currently available in the Pen. If we can't cover ONE game with that bunch we're in sorry shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Nope, no free pass at all.   You still have to go on the roster, someone else has to go off it.

Taxi squad is just guys that make the road trip with you so they can travel on the team plane and be in the team "bubble" and don't have to try to get from Bowie to Texas or wherever on short notice when they get called up and sit next to virus ridden people in the coach seats on airplanes.

But obviously whoever they choose to put on the taxi squad for the Texas/Miami trip are the people they expect to potentially bring up, so it provides a valuable clue as to their intentions.

And Kremer (or anybody...) could be put on the Taxi Squad for a couple days? Like... Matt Harvey?

Just trying to get my head around it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scOtt said:

So Sulser and Mattson and all the other guys currently available in the Pen. If we can't cover ONE game with that bunch we're in sorry shape.

No, they aren't available.   They aren't on the roster.   If they are on the taxi squad, they could be added to the roster and someone else could be removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...