Jump to content
wildcard

How far are the O's away from being a winning team?

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Bundy has a 5.03 ERA and hasn't had half his games against the Yankees and Red Sox.

And yet he's still pitched very well.  Did you seriously give me a downvote for that?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantasy appeal aside, I just feel like a few innings in the middle of game would be the better deployment.   He's reinvented himself, and I think is a SP in his own mind.   He got humored this spring, but I don't think given a real chance.    I suspect his command would be better in innings 2-4 as the saying about "if you are going to get the SP, get him in the 1st".   

Obviously the sample sizes are even smaller, but he has scuffled in his back-to-backs, which if it persists I would fault him for no more than I fault Jorge Lopez for getting rocked third time through the order.    I was just racing through DVR and not in Game Thread so didn't grasp if Pillar's hot shot to Ruiz opening the inning was in the "Manny would have had it, but you can't really blame the 3B" zone, or a bad play.

Days of Rest -- Game-Level

Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W
0 Days,GR 0 1 .000 7.71 3 0 3 0 0 2 2.1 5 2 2 0 1 0 2 1 0 1 15 2.571 7.7 2.00
1 Day,GR 0 0   0.00 2 0 1 0 0 1 2.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 6 0.000 13.5  
2 Days,GR 1 0 1.000 3.60 5 0 3 0 0 2 5.0 5 2 2 0 2 0 6 0 0 0 23 1.400 10.8 3.00
3 Days,GR 1 0 1.000 0.00 1 0 0 0 0 0 2.1 2 1 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 9 0.857 11.6  
5 Days,GR 0 0   0.00 1 0 1 0 0 1 1.1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 0.750 6.8  
6+ Days,GR 0 0   0.00 2 0 2 0 0 2 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 7 0.500 13.5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

No closer converts 72.7% of his save opportunities and keeps his job for long.    That’s three blown saves in 11 chances.   I’m not saying he should be yanked from the job at this point, but I’m not as enamored of him as a lot of others apparently are.   

You’re right that there’s no obvious candidate to replace him.   Scott in the closer role is the last thing I’d want to see.    I’d rather try Fry.   
 

Fry is doing well this year.  He'd probably be the one to replace Valdez.  

Didn't realize Valdez had blown 3 in 11 chances this year.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Fantasy appeal aside, I just feel like a few innings in the middle of game would be the better deployment.   He's reinvented himself, and I think is a SP in his own mind.   He got humored this spring, but I don't think given a real chance.    I suspect his command would be better in innings 2-4 as the saying about "if you are going to get the SP, get him in the 1st".   

Obviously the sample sizes are even smaller, but he has scuffled in his back-to-backs, which if it persists I would fault him for no more than I fault Jorge Lopez for getting rocked third time through the order.    I was just racing through DVR and not in Game Thread so didn't grasp if Pillar's hot shot to Ruiz opening the inning was in the "Manny would have had it, but you can't really blame the 3B" zone, or a bad play.

Days of Rest -- Game-Level

Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W
0 Days,GR 0 1 .000 7.71 3 0 3 0 0 2 2.1 5 2 2 0 1 0 2 1 0 1 15 2.571 7.7 2.00
1 Day,GR 0 0   0.00 2 0 1 0 0 1 2.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 6 0.000 13.5  
2 Days,GR 1 0 1.000 3.60 5 0 3 0 0 2 5.0 5 2 2 0 2 0 6 0 0 0 23 1.400 10.8 3.00
3 Days,GR 1 0 1.000 0.00 1 0 0 0 0 0 2.1 2 1 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 9 0.857 11.6  
5 Days,GR 0 0   0.00 1 0 1 0 0 1 1.1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 0.750 6.8  
6+ Days,GR 0 0   0.00 2 0 2 0 0 2 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 7 0.500 13.5

 

Let's just say that Franco would not have fielded cleanly either.  Manny and Arenado - sure!  Pillar is an Oriole killer from way back as deigned by the "baseball gods".  😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Fantasy appeal aside, I just feel like a few innings in the middle of game would be the better deployment.   He's reinvented himself, and I think is a SP in his own mind.   He got humored this spring, but I don't think given a real chance.    I suspect his command would be better in innings 2-4 as the saying about "if you are going to get the SP, get him in the 1st".   

Obviously the sample sizes are even smaller, but he has scuffled in his back-to-backs, which if it persists I would fault him for no more than I fault Jorge Lopez for getting rocked third time through the order.    I was just racing through DVR and not in Game Thread so didn't grasp if Pillar's hot shot to Ruiz opening the inning was in the "Manny would have had it, but you can't really blame the 3B" zone, or a bad play.

Days of Rest -- Game-Level

Split W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF WHIP SO9 SO/W
0 Days,GR 0 1 .000 7.71 3 0 3 0 0 2 2.1 5 2 2 0 1 0 2 1 0 1 15 2.571 7.7 2.00
1 Day,GR 0 0   0.00 2 0 1 0 0 1 2.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 6 0.000 13.5  
2 Days,GR 1 0 1.000 3.60 5 0 3 0 0 2 5.0 5 2 2 0 2 0 6 0 0 0 23 1.400 10.8 3.00
3 Days,GR 1 0 1.000 0.00 1 0 0 0 0 0 2.1 2 1 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 9 0.857 11.6  
5 Days,GR 0 0   0.00 1 0 1 0 0 1 1.1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 0.750 6.8  
6+ Days,GR 0 0   0.00 2 0 2 0 0 2 2.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 7 0.500 13.5

 

So I don't think they have to replace Valdez as closer.  They just have to supplement him with someone so he does not pitch back to back days.     I  agree   Fry would be someone good to try in that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My post about Valdez was not to be a knock on him or what he has done this season.  The point I was trying to make is that teams that are looking to be contenders make a point to have a strong closer and back end of the bullpen which is why trade prices for those guys over the past few years have been so high.

The Orioles opened this season with an unproven closer and question marks in the bullpen. That to me is a sign that they are not ready to be a winning team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

And yet he's still pitched very well.  Did you seriously give me a downvote for that?    

It wasn't me, I don't have the power to give upvotes/downvotes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

My post about Valdez was not to be a knock on him or what he has done this season.  The point I was trying to make is that teams that are looking to be contenders make a point to have a strong closer and back end of the bullpen which is why trade prices for those guys over the past few years have been so high.

The Orioles opened this season with an unproven closer and question marks in the bullpen. That to me is a sign that they are not ready to be a winning team. 

Sure, having a 35 year old changeup artist as your closer is an issue but it is the least of our concerns. We also have issues in OF defense, IF defense, overall offense, starting rotation after Means, etc.

As far as really competing, biggest concern to me is middle infield prospects. We are set at C, we have some really good SP prospects, we have some options for OF. What we really need is a stud SS. Bullpen arm is one hole that isn't too hard to fill through free agency when the time comes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sure, having a 35 year old changeup artist as your closer is an issue but it is the least of our concerns. We also have issues in OF defense, IF defense, overall offense, starting rotation after Means, etc.

As far as really competing, biggest concern to me is middle infield prospects. We are set at C, we have some really good SP prospects, we have some options for OF. What we really need is a stud SS. Bullpen arm is one hole that isn't too hard to fill through free agency when the time comes. 

Gunnar Henderson is tearing it up. Even if he moves to 3B there's Westburg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been imagining an unrealistic best case scenario where we hover around .500 for the next few months and then call up Hall, Rutschman, and Jones. Add in a healthy Santander and I could see a pretty decent team. Hall is certainly doing his part, and Santander is back soon. But Adley's bat and Jones' glove are squashing that fantasy. It's weird, if we can't be good this year I'd just assume we lock in one more high draft slot. Which all means we'll end up with a blah record and a blah pick of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...