now

Means, Harvey, and pray for rain?

I actually like the rotation as constructed (at least 4/5 of it). Means and Harvey are pitching well. I'm hopeful Means can continue to prove himself a legitimate TOR starter and cement himself in that role for next year when we start seeing Hall and Rodriguez and many others. 

I don't expect Harvey on the team in August, but like his resurgence so far and hope it continues so we can net a better trade return. I like that we are giving Zimmermann and Kremer a chance and while the results aren't great, I want them to each make at least a dozen starts before they get removed from the rotation. That leaves one spot and I'm done with Lopez as a starter. We can look at him in the pen but I would like to see Lowther, Akin or Baumann in that spot sooner rather than later. I'm not as interested in Plutko in that spot given he's thriving where he his and building some value. 

18 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I actually like the rotation as constructed (at least 4/5 of it). Means and Harvey are pitching well. I'm hopeful Means can continue to prove himself a legitimate TOR starter and cement himself in that role for next year when we start seeing Hall and Rodriguez and many others. 

I don't expect Harvey on the team in August, but like his resurgence so far and hope it continues so we can net a better trade return. I like that we are giving Zimmermann and Kremer a chance and while the results aren't great, I want them to each make at least a dozen starts before they get removed from the rotation. That leaves one spot and I'm done with Lopez as a starter. We can look at him in the pen but I would like to see Lowther, Akin or Baumann in that spot sooner rather than later. I'm not as interested in Plutko in that spot given he's thriving where he his and building some value. 

I am afraid that Baumann is headed for TJ surgery.  Just does not seem right that he is having trouble getting into the rotation at AAA after an elbow strain last year.

Looks like there will be there will be plenty of room for Lowther, Akins, Tyler Wells and Sceroler to get starts  during the season..

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am afraid that Baumann is headed for TJ surgery.  Just does not seem right that he is having trouble getting into the rotation at AAA after an elbow strain last year.

Looks like there will be there will be plenty of room for Lowther, Akins, Tyler Wells and Sceroler to get starts  during the season..

Baumann may be headed for TJ surgery. It everything going on with him now is exactly what they said was going to happen.

I can't help but feel like, here we are again - another crop of SP prospects who aren't really hacking it at the ML level. Other than Means of course. 

But Akin, Zimmermann, and Kremer have so far not shown they are up to the task. It's frustrating. I'm not exactly holding my breath for the next crop either. It's great that we found Means, but a couple of these guys at least have to be able to pitch to a 4-ish ERA or it's just another failed cavalry. 

Do I have hope for Lowther, Wells, etc? Not really! Why should I until they prove something at the ML level? I have no doubt the Orioles development is in a MUCH better place the last few years and we've seen that in the bullpen and with some of the hitters, but once again the SPs are showing much. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I can't help but feel like, here we are again - another crop of SP prospects who aren't really hacking it at the ML level. Other than Means of course. 

But Akin, Zimmermann, and Kremer have so far not shown they are up to the task. It's frustrating. I'm not exactly holding my breath for the next crop either. It's great that we found Means, but a couple of these guys at least have to be able to pitch to a 4-ish ERA or it's just another failed cavalry. 

Do I have hope for Lowther, Wells, etc? Not really! Why should I until they prove something at the ML level? I have no doubt the Orioles development is in a MUCH better place the last few years and we've seen that in the bullpen and with some of the hitters, but once again the SPs are showing much. 

Pretty much every scouting pub that wrote about Akin, Zimmerman and Kremer noted that they weren't really close to being TOR type starters. People should expect the same for the guys down in AAA. These aren't premier pitching prospects. Certainly possible one or two might hang around in the rotation for a while and might even do well but it shouldn't be expected. Also, they all have hardly any ML experience. No need to completely bury them yet. 

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Pretty much every scouting pub that wrote about Akin, Zimmerman and Kremer noted that they weren't really close to being TOR type starters. People should expect the same for the guys down in AAA. These aren't premier pitching prospects. Certainly possible one or two might hang around in the rotation for a while and might even do well but it shouldn't be expected. Also, they all have hardly any ML experience. No need to completely bury them yet. 

I'm not saying they should be TOR starters, I'm saying if they can't maintain ERAs under 5, they're not much use as starters on an (eventually, hopefully) good Orioles team. Which is fine! They don't all work, and maybe some will be in the bullpen. But I'm most disappointed with Kremer who IS supposed to be a kind of mid-to-backend starter guy with the ability to get a lot of Ks. He looked good last year and just hasn't looked anywhere close to the same guy this year. 

The fact that none of them has bounced Lopez to the bullpen where he quite obviously belongs is saying a lot. It's only been a month and there's nothing much to lose, but we are hovering around .500 so it becomes frustrating while guys like Means and Harvey and the bullpen pitch well. Really hoping Kremer figures it out. 

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

When it comes to true blue chips, we do have cause to hope for Hall in '22, GRod in '23. Which isn't bad in the larger scheme of things, espec. if we still have an ace-worthy Means.

Other than that, it's back to the ole bag o' magic beans.

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

That’s how the system works. Throw 20 guys into the pond, and hope that three of them swim. If Zimmerman and Kremer fail, well, bring up the next batch of guys. The only thing that bothers me is if they continue to give a guy starts after he’s proven his limitations, like they did with Mike Wright.

So Zimm and Kremer and Akin and the first batch. Next is Lowther, maybe Sceroler, is Greene a starter? Mattson? I dunno who comes after Lowther, but we’ve no shortage of possibilities.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

+1 on every point. I'm surprised at how bad Kremer has been but I think with his stuff and resume he should get some more chances. Was hopeful Zimmerman's spring would carry through but maybe he is what he is. Still deserves some more time. Lopez just seems a better fit for bullpen or opener on a short leash. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wouldn't regard Akin, Kremer, or Zimmerman as cavalry. These are guys who have potential to become contributors but the rebuild does not live or die with them. You give them a chance to succeed and see if any stick. Now, if Hall and Grayson are getting hammered we have a problem. Admittedly, Harvey's injury struggles are a major bummer. 

Just now, Philip said:

So Zimm and Kremer and Akin and the first batch. Next is Lowther, maybe Sceroler, is Greene a starter? Mattson? I dunno who comes after Lowther, but we’ve no shortage of possibilities.

Wells is on the list. 

4 minutes ago, now said:

When it comes to true blue chips, we do have cause to hope for Hall in '22, GRod in '23. Which isn't bad in the larger scheme of things, espec. if we still have an ace-worthy Means.

Other than that, it's back to the ole bag o' magic beans.

It really isn't bad. The odds of having a great rotation staffed only by players from your system are very low (especially when you have no int'l prospects). If they remain healthy, I think it's reasonable to expect Hall and GrayRod to be good ML starters. For the rest of the guys, I'm keeping my expectations very low and hoping for a pleasant surprise. 

23 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wells is on the list. 

Of course, forgot about him. That just bolsters my point. We’ve got lots of possibilities. And we’re only 25 games into the season.

I don’t have much respect for our manager, but it’s curious that he has not yet picked up on the fact that Lopez is a disaster the third time through the order, war that all of his starters can’t be counted on for more than a certain number of pitches.

With that in mind he should be making changes now. Start using the piggyback system, or bring in a starter to replace Lopez, and let him go to the Bullpen, where he might be successful

Developing starters is a process.   Just because they need to be sent down does not mean they can't improve at AAA and come back better.  It takes time.  Remember none of Zimmermann, Kremer, Lowther, Akin, Tyler Wells or Sceroler have pitched well at AAA and earned their way to the majors.   I think we have to consider the Rule 5 guys in this group.   Alex Wells will have earn everything he gets because his stuff is not as good.

There will be a lot of movement between Norfolk and Baltimore this year but that does not mean they have failed.  Just that they have more to learn to stay in the majors.

I think Grayson makes it to the majors (in 2022) ahead of DL Hall.  Grayson has more command and control and 4 pitches that are average or above.   DL may take some time to find his  command and control but he has great stuff.

I am very hopeful for this group. And with Matt Harvey probably traded in July there may be another spot in the rotation available for them.