SteveA

Orioles visit Seattle for 3 -- first game Monday night

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure would be nice for the Orioles to score tonight.

o

Thank you for that contribution, Tony ...... the Orioles certainly noticed your request.

o

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

You know it seems to me that one issue with having a "bullpen he" where you go into it planning on using about 6 pitchers, is that it increases the odds that you will have one of the 6 have one of those nights where he just doesn't have his best stuff or good command.  It happens to every pitcher on occasion, no matter how good, and the more pitchers you use the better chance you have of seeing one of them have that kind of night.

I was thinking the same. All those guys and one HAD to screw up. Good thing he did!!

Franco has been really bad in these situations this year. At least it seems like he's been bad.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

They gotta sit Armstrong now, right? Can't imagine they will bring him in with a close lead.

Sulser is good for at least one more...

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I did too. I was thinking. Tag up Valaika!

That was crazy...the way the ball passed over his glove and disappeared, looked like he caught it.  

Had he caught it, I'd have packed up and called it a night.  Now I'm all amped up.

Great job by Franco but...I don't get that play by Crawford.  He could have pegged Hays at home.  

Trade the run for the out, I get it...but it's not like they've got a lot of outs to work with this late in the game.   

Just now, scOtt said:

Their OF mow job is WAY off center... :drek:

Maybe the guy mowing the lawn was listening to Build Me Up Buttercup.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Great job by Franco but...I don't get that play by Crawford.  He could have pegged Hays at home.  

Trade the run for the out, I get it...but it's not like they've got a lot of outs to work with this late in the game.   

I dunno. It would have been close. I think Hays got too good of a jump and with Crawford going to the ground, he knew he probably wouldn't get him. 

Elsewhere, the Pirates have lost the no hitter, the shutout, and trail 2-0.  And the Mets have fired hitting coach Chili Davis and the assistant hitting coach.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Their OF mow job is WAY off center... :drek:

OUR girl would NEVER do that!

Sherry-Waters-Field-Sidebar.jpg

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• We are still incredibly early in the minor league year. Players slump. Some players are slow starters. And in Rutschman's case, he's facing a higher quality of opposing pitching as he ever has after a year of not playing in competitive games against other teams. It's quite the learning curve, particularly when he also has to worry about his defense behind the dish and learning the pitchers.  I have zero expectations to see him in the Majors this year. If he turns the corner and dominates for a couple months on both sides of the ball. I'm fine with bringing him up. If he doesn't, I'm fine with leaving him down in the minors. Let's take a step back for now and just let him make the adjustment and then re-evaluate after he starts showing he can adjust and find consistent success against the competition he's playing against now. 
    • I don’t know what word I would use to describe his start.  Like you, I don’t really care about 2020 and I think the whole mono excuse was bs in 2019. I know I don’t want to hear that cliche bs about him being a C and that he has a lot to learn back there.  Plenty of top C prospects have been able to learn how to be a C and hit, so please spare me that. I think, for me, I am just disappointed at the start of his pro career.  It doesn’t mean I’m down on him but as someone who generally preferred Witt (I don’t like the idea of a C with the first overall pick), I was hoping to see him come out and show us why people think he’s one of the best players to come out of college in the last 20 years. Right now, he looks like a good defensive C who is completely overmatched at the plate.  That’s not the look we should be seeing.     It doesn’t help that everyone put Wieters on a pedestal and acted as if he was a god, only to have him come to the majors and be very pedestrian in comparison to expectations.  Scouts missed a lot of obvious issues with him and I worry about the same thing with Rutschman.  Hopefully he just starts hitting soon and, as you said, we look back on this and laugh.
    • They're not winning this year? 😛 I just assumed they were.
    • It's just two starts, but they're rather encouraging. I would leave him there to dominate and build up his pitch count. If he's still flat out dominating after five or so more starts, I bump him to Triple-A. Honestly, though, I don't know if it matters in AAA or AA. As long as he's pitching well and showing improved command, the main thing is for him to be on track for a summer call up to the Birds next year. 
    • I don't see how this is a surprise.  He didn't exactly dominate in  2019.  He had a hot stretch in Aberdeen.   2020 doesn't mean anything to me.  I know the reports out of the alternate site were glowing and people were raving about him but I don't see how facing the same pitchers over and over again is a telling sign of future success.  No one can convince me otherwise. This is essentially the best competition he's ever had to face.   I'm not surprised that he's striking out this much...or that he's struggling so far.  Hopefully he just needs to get his feet wet a little bit and get a bit more comfortable and we'll be able to laugh about that time we freaked out that AR had a slow start in the minors.
  • Popular Contributors