LA2

Pods at Citifield for Next Week's O's/Mets Games

I went on the Mets' mlb.com site to purchase tix for myself for both Tuesday's evening and Wednesday's afternoon games, but it looks like I have to buy at least 2 tix ($29 each in a 2-seat "Promenade Outfield" pod) or 4 tix ($42 in the "Thomas Tew Reserve" 4-seat pod). Not having gone to a game since before the Pandemic, I'm unfamiliar with this arrangement. I understand the social-distancing imperative, but I guess it means one can't go to a game just by oneself, right? Is this the case at OPACY, too?

Wondering if  I shd risk just showing up and getting a ticket on the spot from a scalper between the subway and stadium. Any tips? Or anyone interested in joining up to make a pod? I'm fully vaccinated and willing to wear a mask if so wished. Thanks.

Alternatively, I cd just go to a Mets bar and make new friends who will support me when Orioles/Yankee games are on the tube.

Don't know about scalping.   If they have gone completely paper free like the Orioles, it seems to me the scalpers would be out of business.   Unless they are taking your cash and transferring the ticket from their smart phone to yours???

But yeah, you have to buy two so you could go by yourself but it would cost twice as much.

And in Baltimore and Washington, they are enforcing mask wearing at seats even though you are outdoors and socially distanced from anyone but the people you go to the game with.   Which I find annoying.   I am glad to wear a mask in situations where it's still needed such as shopping indoors.  And even when getting up and going to the restroom or concessions and thus getting close to other people.   But outdoors, social distanced in my seats -- it really detracts from my enjoyment of the game and will even moreso once the weather gets hot out.

10 hours ago, orioles119 said:

Pods are so dumb.  So is mask wearing outdoors when you're not anywhere near others.

You can certainly make an argument that masks aren’t necessary because you have pods.  But if I was not vaccinated, I wouldn’t be crazy about sitting right next to some unmasked stranger for 3+ hours, even if it were outdoors.   The seats at OPACY aren’t exactly spacious.   So I’m happy about the pods.  Going to my first game next Saturday and I can’t wait!

16 hours ago, SteveA said:

Don't know about scalping.   If they have gone completely paper free like the Orioles, it seems to me the scalpers would be out of business.   Unless they are taking your cash and transferring the ticket from their smart phone to yours???

But yeah, you have to buy two so you could go by yourself but it would cost twice as much.

And in Baltimore and Washington, they are enforcing mask wearing at seats even though you are outdoors and socially distanced from anyone but the people you go to the game with.   Which I find annoying.   I am glad to wear a mask in situations where it's still needed such as shopping indoors.  And even when getting up and going to the restroom or concessions and thus getting close to other people.   But outdoors, social distanced in my seats -- it really detracts from my enjoyment of the game and will even moreso once the weather gets hot out.

Agreed. It's nanny state stuff. If you're socially distanced from others and you're with your own party, there is absolutely no reason to make you wear a mask in your seat. It's ridiculous and no way I would sit there with a mask on to watch a baseball game.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

You can certainly make an argument that masks aren’t necessary because you have pods.  But if I was not vaccinated, I wouldn’t be crazy about sitting right next to some unmasked stranger for 3+ hours, even if it were outdoors.   The seats at OPACY aren’t exactly spacious.   So I’m happy about the pods.  Going to my first game next Saturday and I can’t wait!

But that is your worries, not there's. Also, if someone has not begun the vaccination process and they are that worried, they probably should just stay in their house. Vaccination are widely available now with no lines.  If you haven't been vaccinated at this point, that is on that person.

People can put on five masks if it makes them feel better, I could care less, but don't force others to wear masks outdoors when there is plenty of space between folks.

This sissy state stuff needs to stop. We need to get back to personal choice and freedom. 

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

But that is your worries, not there's. Also, if someone has not begun the vaccination process and they are that worried, they probably should just stay in their house. Vaccination are widely available now with no lines.  If you haven't been vaccinated at this point, that is on that person.

People can put on five masks if it makes them feel better, I could care less, but don't force others to wear masks outdoors when there is plenty of space between folks.

This sissy state stuff needs to stop. We need to get back to personal choice and freedom. 

I'm reluctant to make a point that may be seen as political -- though I don't think it is. But you started it, and I feel compelled to respond, in particular to the bolded statement, because I think it's so clearly wrong, not just politically debatable but wrong, and because it's so important that we all understand how it's wrong.

Last year, when vaccines were being touted but didn't yet exist, President Trump declared himself to be a "wartime President," with Covid-19 as the invisible enemy. Members of his administration said that the goal was to win that war by producing vaccines whose widespread use would give rise to herd immunity. I am not aware of any other plan or rationale for eliminating the virus as a continuing public health concern. 

I don't believe anyone is seriously suggesting that anyone's personal freedom should be encroached on by requiring vaccination. Until the last couple of months, I think it was the hope and (at least for some) the expectation that virtually everyone, outside of a few true whackos, would choose to join the nation-wide (you could say world-wide) common effort to defeat the virus by getting vaccinated and moving us toward what was thought to be the virtually universal goal of herd immunity. Politicians are fond of saying that Americans, for all their differences and disputes, tend to band together in a common effort in times of emergency, and it would be hard to dispute that the Coronavirus has created the most horrific public emergency in a long time, at least since 9/11 and maybe since World War II. 

Although the level of vaccination needed to reach herd immunity remains uncertain, it's become pretty clear that we're not going to get there. As a result, it's likely that we'll be dealing with Covid in all its varieties, some of which may be far more contagious and lethal than what we've seen so far, for years, possibly for decades or generations. Why? Because so many of us have decided that they're going to exercise their personal choice to sit this one out, for reasons that range from legitimate to dubious to foolish. Under our political system, they have every right to do so. But they should understand that their decisions not to get vaccinated profoundly affect all of us by dooming us to defeat in the war against the Coronavirus, and are likely to lead to the illness and death of fellow Americans, as well as impose continuing costs and burdens on those who have been vaccinated and remain healthy.

• Upvote 2

On 5/7/2021 at 6:48 PM, LA2 said:

I went on the Mets' mlb.com site to purchase tix for myself for both Tuesday's evening and Wednesday's afternoon games, but it looks like I have to buy at least 2 tix ($29 each in a 2-seat "Promenade Outfield" pod) or 4 tix ($42 in the "Thomas Tew Reserve" 4-seat pod). Not having gone to a game since before the Pandemic, I'm unfamiliar with this arrangement. I understand the social-distancing imperative, but I guess it means one can't go to a game just by oneself, right? Is this the case at OPACY, too?

Wondering if  I shd risk just showing up and getting a ticket on the spot from a scalper between the subway and stadium. Any tips? Or anyone interested in joining up to make a pod? I'm fully vaccinated and willing to wear a mask if so wished. Thanks.

Alternatively, I cd just go to a Mets bar and make new friends who will support me when Orioles/Yankee games are on the tube.

Just an update on ticket availability as of 5PM Sunday.  When looking for tickets for Tuesday nights’ game on Mets website starting at quantity of 1 up to 6 there was no availability.  Wednesday afternoons’ game had tickets available as low as $15 plus service charge for even single seats.   Stub hub has seats available  in various quantities for both games but lowest prices are about $30 plus their add on service fees are more costly.  

1 hour ago, JimGinSP said:

Just an update on ticket availability as of 5PM Sunday.  When looking for tickets for Tuesday nights’ game on Mets website starting at quantity of 1 up to 6 there was no availability.  Wednesday afternoons’ game had tickets available as low as $15 plus service charge for even single seats.   Stub hub has seats available  in various quantities for both games but lowest prices are about $30 plus their add on service fees are more costly.  

Even though Wednesday's game starts at 12:10pm, I'm surprised that tickets are readily available considering that Matt Harvey should be pitching. I guess once it's officially announced that Harvey is pitching, the tickets will probably sell out quickly.