Frobby

The Post’s Tom Boswell is retiring

Announced today.   For me, the greatest baseball columnist of his generation.    He was in his absolute prime when covering the Orioles’ teams of the late 70’s and early 80’s, and almost singlehandedly got the DC metro market interested in the Orioles with his vivid depictions of the personalities on those teams and the chemistry they had.   I will miss him terribly, even though he almost exclusively covers the Nats these days.   

If you’ve never had the pleasure of reading him, pick up a copy of Why Time Begins on Opening Day, which is the first of several baseball anthologies he put together.   It’s a classic.

From his column announcing his retirement:

Of all the long-haul stories I’ve covered, I suspect that Cal Ripken Jr.’s streak has the best chance to be remembered the longest. People who become symbols — of something good, simple and strong — are the ones who endure, such as Jackie Robinson, before my time, or Ripken, who didn’t “save” baseball and wouldn’t claim to but sure helped after the strike that killed the 1994 World Series.

In September, on the 25th anniversary of his breaking Lou Gehrig’s record, I caught up with Cal to chat, which wasn’t hard because I’ve known him since he was in Class AAA.

Cal recalled how proud he was when Earl Weaver moved him from third base to shortstop, putting sign-relaying and other responsibilities in his 22-year-old hands. “Earl’s confidence gave me confidence,” Cal said.

Only in recent years did Cal finally watch the national TV tape of Game 2,131. Asked about his brilliant decision to put a 6-foot-4, 225-pound slugger at shortstop, Earl said, “I was just trying to get through the weekend.”

“Here, all these years, I thought he believed in me so much,” Cal laughed.

But like lots of Ripken stories, that’s a quiet parable. I wrote: “In MLB, you live one day at a time because the mental burden of facing 162 games is more than you can carry. Even Earl’s just trying to get through the weekend. …

“In that one way, it truly is like life: You can deal with far more — endure more, create more, recover from pain or disappointment more, be your best more often — in one-day increments. It’s almost as if there is no such thing as a ‘life’ and its ‘meaning.’ There are just todays. But, with work and luck, they sure can add up.”

You barely notice at the time, but, yes, they can.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/07/thomas-boswell-retirement-farewell-column/%3foutputType=amp

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• A better order Better bring in a haul - Mullins, Hays, Means Some To little value; could gain much more value w/ good start to 2022 - Santander, Mancini, Sulser, Scott, Tate, Lyles Currently no value, but bc of age, service time, and/or potential to reach peak value, IF they were to perform WOULD have trade value - Fry, Lopez, Odor, Stewart    
    • I was shocked at first but did some research on the current market, and  1 year 7 million is spot on for Lyles to the O's
    • They have no current value, but this thread discusses potential to build value as well.
    • There was no real order
    • I do not want Green.  Just way too many strike outs, too many holes in the swing for me to be comfortable with.   
    • September/October2021 -- finally getting around to this. 11-20 record 6-14 vs. AL East 8-10 at home 3-10 on the road 5-7 in one-run games 1-4 in extra innings Batting 3.90 runs/game was 14th in the AL .237 BA was 12th .308 OBP was 10th .391 SLG was 12th .699 OPS was 12th 1.19 HR/G was 7th .225/.314/.398 with RISP (274 PA, 236 AB, 53 H, 94 TB, 86 TOB) Pitching 5.84 ERA was last in the AL 5.97 RA/G was last 1.77 HR/G was last 5.05 starter ERA was 12th 4.37 IP/start was 12th 6.63 bullpen ERA was last 7 saves was tied for 8th 17 save opportunities  10 blown saves  Defense 10 unearned runs was tied for 10th fewest in the AL 0.42 errors/game (13 errors) -0.7 fangraphs defense 1.3 UZR (+ 3.3 OF, +2.0 IF) -1 Rtot -3 Rdrs 0 OAA Cumulative through September/October 2021 Batting 4.07 runs/game was 14th in the AL .239 BA was 10th .304 OBP was 12th .402 SLG was 11th .705 OPS was 12th 1.20 HR/G was 10th .232/.311/.353 with RISP (1437 PA,  1241 AB, 288 H, 438 TB, 445 TOB)(.664 OPS with RISP was last in the AL) Pitching 5.84 ERA was last in the AL 5.90 RA/G was last 1.59 HR/G was last 5.99 starter ERA was last 4.54 IP/start was last 5.70 bullpen ERA was last  26 saves was last 54 save opportunities was 13th 28 blown saves was tied for 2nd most Defense 46 unearned runs was fewest in the AL  0.46 errors/game (74 errors) was 3rd fewest 0.1 fangraphs defense was 8th in AL -3.9 UZR was 10th  (-4.4 OF, +0.5 IF) -46 Rtot was 14th - 30 Rdrs was 12th -16 OAA Conclusion:  The offense was pretty much its usual well below average self in September/October, and while the hitting with RISP was a little better than it was on the season as a whole (.712 OPS vs. .664), somehow the team still was 14th in runs per game despite doing better than that in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS (all in the 10th-12th range).   Not epically bad, just regular bad.   The starting pitching also was only regular bad, and better than its usual epically awful, posting a 5.05 ERA in September/October compared to 5.99 on the season.   But the bullpen really carried the team to the no. 1 draft pick, posting a 6.63 ERA for the month and blowing 10 of 17 save opportunities.   Think about that -- 17 save opportunities in one month is a lot!   But the pen blew more than half of them.   The pen was epically bad this season, and even more horrible in September/October.   Finally, the defense was sort of middling in the final month, both by standard and advanced metrics.   It's interesting that on the year, the O's allowed the fewest unearned runs of any team in the league, and the 3rd fewest errors, and yet, Rdrs had them at -46 runs, Rtot said -30, and OAA said -16.    All in all, there's a ton of work to do in all areas for 2022.   The pitching in particular just has to get better.   And I think it will, because it pretty much cannot get worse, either for the starters (5.99 ERA for the year while covering only 4.54 IP per start) or the bullpen (5.70 ERA and a 48% save rate).    But how much better is the key to how significantly our team will improve in 2021.
  • Popular Contributors