Hazmat

Robert Neustrom 2021

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Once they’re in AAA their draft pedigree is kind of out the window, yeah?   Their ERAs suggest they’re nothing special.   

Neustrom has certainly done enough to earn a hard look next spring.   I’m not 100% sold on him but he’s had a breakout season without a doubt.  

Its pretty rare that 21 or 50 rounders do well in the big leagues.  I am not saying it does not happen but they are few and far between.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Its pretty rare that 21 or 50 rounders do well in the big leagues.  I am not saying it does not happen but they are few and far between.

Depends on the circumstances.   Were they overslot guys?

Hopefully Neustrom blows up next year in AAA and in ST. I’m tired of losing but I think it would be good too Trade Hays and Santander, for pitching. Mullins would be our staple in CF with Neustrom, McKenna, and Stowers being here in 2022. 2023 would bring Watson and Cowser. 

Eventually trades will have to be made. Does Elias trade for expensive established pitchers, or does he trade for high upside SP in AA?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Depends on the circumstances.   Were they overslot guys?

Haha, Parke actually was. ....."White Sox scouts clearly saw enough in Parke to grab him in the 21st round of last year’s MLB draft. After receiving a $30,000 signing bonus, "

Turley is the classic high spin rate guy...."Turley has elite spin rates on his curveball and particularly on his four-seam fastball"

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

That is great news.

I see Parke is a 26 year old 21st rounder and Turley is a 31 year old 50th rounder.  Maybe not the toughest pitchers.

I understand your point, but now do we have quality lefty OPS stats vs journeyman lefty OPS stats? Those pitchers are in AAA because a certain team thinks they have potential. All players OPS stats are for all pitchers they see. Plenty of late rounders to go around

• Upvote 2

With the influx of young outfield talent. It will be interesting how the O's handle the older OF prospects next year -25 years old plus like Rizer, Watson and Nuestrom. Can they traded for useful pieces to the bullpen or reclamation starting pitching?

19 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

With the influx of young outfield talent. It will be interesting how the O's handle the older OF prospects next year -25 years old plus like Rizer, Watson and Nuestrom. Can they traded for useful pieces to the bullpen or reclamation starting pitching?

You’re onto something, but usually it seems we’d trade MLB pieces like Santander, Hays, Severino, Stewart, and Mancini, for SP then let the OF prospects try and replace them. Not all the guys I listed are trade-able. 

If the NL gets the DH that definitely helps Mancini’s value. 

Neustrom will have to have a big year in AAA again next year IMO. But he’s a “guy”

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You’re onto something, but usually it seems we’d trade MLB pieces like Santander, Hays, Severino, Stewart, and Mancini, for SP then let the OF prospects try and replace them. Not all the guys I listed are trade-able. 

Neustrom will have to have a big year in AAA again next year IMO. But he’s a “guy”

Neustrom should be competing for a O's  26 man roster spot out of ST even without anyone being traded.   He will have to beat out McKenna or  Stewart but all three players will have options next season so its not like someone has to be DFA'd to make room.

• Upvote 2

That was a bomb he hit. The thing I like about his stat line for the year is t that he’s one of the few milb’ers not sitting in 100ks. Only 91k with 51BB. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=neustr000rob

If Stowers, and Neustrom, put up similar 1st half numbers in AAA next year, then I think the O’s are going to have to make some moves. Idk if that means it’s time to be buyers, or maybe it’s time to trade Santander. 

On 9/8/2021 at 9:21 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not sure there is value there except for Santander, Hays, and Mancini. 

I do think this is the end of the line for Stewart with the Orioles, but I don't think anything comes of it via trade. I would like to see the Orioles go with a Hays, Mullins, Santander, McKenna foursome in the OF (McKenna as the 4th OF obviously) and perhaps give Neustrom a chance to take the Stewart role and be the next man up a guy inevitably goes down. 

• Upvote 2