SteveA

May 10: Trying to avoid a 4 game sweep at home by the Red Sox

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

There's been some lean times over the last 30+ years, but I don't recall a team that struggled scoring runs like this one does.

With them taking some of the juice out of the ball offense is down league wide.

3 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

There's been some lean times over the last 30+ years, but I don't recall a team that struggled scoring runs like this one does.

Take a look at the 2018 team.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

With them taking some of the juice out of the ball offense is down league wide.

I didn't necessarily mean HR's. This team just struggles with basehits.

• Upvote 1

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

The league batting average is lower than any year in the modern era so far this year, even 1968.  There have been 4 or 5 no hitters and over a dozen no hitters into the 6th or 7 innings.  There have been two games in the last 5 days in the majors that were 0-0 into extra innings.

• Upvote 1

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

If certain balls that were HR prior to this year are now outs the overall number of basehits will go down. 

I've also heard that the seams are higher which should lead to more movement on pitches.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SteveA said:

The league batting average is lower than any year in the modern era so far this year, even 1968.  There have been 4 or 5 no hitters and over a dozen no hitters into the 6th or 7 innings.  There have been two games in the last 5 days in the majors that were 0-0 into extra innings.

You're right. I don't keep up with the rest of baseball as much these days as used to. I don't know about ML games, but it was frigid in Salisbury Saturday night for the double header.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Only has 57 post, give them a break.  Probably better posted in my post on the MLB guidance thread but I do find it interesting that the kid cant take responsibility for their own actions when they were clearly breaking mlb rules that have been in place for half a century or more.  
    • Sorry if I'm coming off a little preachy in my last post. This is just a really insane situation. Minor league salaries did get a bump a year ago, but 43 teams were also dissolved. Hell, a few years ago players were not only paid a horrible wage, they had to pay clubhouse fees. I'm a capitalist, but watching Chris Davis make over $21 million this year to spend the entire year at home in Texas, while we have AA players sleeping in their cars just to make ends meet? And if the fans don't care about that situation, nobody else will. Certainly not the two Goliaths battling over the new CBA and how two divy up over $10 billion in revenue per year. Damn.......I'm getting preachy again. Ok, I'll stop. 
    • Generally speaking, the kind of players that are having their service time manipulated originally signed for sizable bonuses, and many will be paid MLB salaries for multiple years. The players that are talking about sleeping in cars didn't get those big bonuses. If they're in AA they're making about $12k a year, only paid during the five month season. Apparently not paid at all during spring training or AFL.  Worth noting that I'm not at all a fan of the system allows teams to manipulate service clocks at all. If Rutschman is ready on August 1st, he should be called up on August 1st, not held out until some day in April the following season. But as a fan who wants to see the club win, and sustain that winning, manipulating a players' service clock has become an accepted reality in order to retain players you otherwise couldn't afford to keep.  To me, all of this boils down to the absurdity of the Uniform Minor League Player Contract and corresponding salary terms being negotiated solely by two parties that do not represent minor league players in any capacity. The owners don't want to pay any more than they absolutely have to, and the Major League Players Association doesn't want to lessen the potential salaries of the players they do represent. It leaves the average minor league player earning below the federal poverty line. I find it a particularly odd contrast to be building a state of the art 22.5 acre training facility in the Dominican Republic but we won't provide basic housing solutions for our players in the organization.  I'm not feeling at all conflicted about my anger. 
    • The varying combinations of Berra, Elston Howard and Johnny Blanchard used by the NYYs in the late 50s and early 60s were pretty good.
    • I saw him demolish a pitch on Thursday at Bowling Green but then not much after that and he dropped a fly ball to cost Aberdeen a game Saturday. I agree though that he is one to watch.
    • Didn’t think the ump was as bad as everyone else in the stadium did, but there’s no doubt he was inconsistent and squeezing early then opened the zone way up in the last few innings. Grayson seemed to be relying on the FB/CU combo for the most part. Both pitches looked nice, though he was barreled a few times and seemed to let too many hitters hang around fouling pitches off in the first couple innings.
    • I do find it amusing that some of the folks that are unhappy with this situation are fine with the Orioles gaming service time to suppress salary and delay the ability to choose an employer.
  • Popular Contributors