Frobby

Kyle Brnovich 2021

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

4 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 R, 6 Ks

63% str%.

Threw 76 pitches 

How did he look? 76 pitches in 4 innings is too many, but at least Hyde didn’t bring him out for the fifth( jk)

I really wanted to get a feel for him at AA tonight, but Bowie's broadcast is so pitiful that you really can't take too much from the pitching performances besides the results because of no center field camera. The thing that stops Bowie from being the worse broadcast is the good announcing and the fact that Aberdeen Ironbirds should be embarrassed by what they are calling a "broadcast". 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I really wanted to get a feel for him at AA tonight, but Bowie's broadcast is so pitiful that you really can't take too much from the pitching performances besides the results because of no center field camera. The thing that stops Bowie from being the worse broadcast is the good announcing and the fact that Aberdeen Ironbirds should be embarrassed by what they are calling a "broadcast". 

Completely. If you want to see it done right, check out Durham’s home broadcasts. Sure, they’re AAA, but they’re the standard in my opinion. High A Brooklyn manages to put together a good broadcast. Others too. Our minor league broadcasts are worse that our current major league team. If you can’t see our broadcasts, that should help put it in perspective. We’re that embarrassing. Fans of other teams are forced to watch our home broadcasts.....it’s a joke. 

31 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Completely. If you want to see it done right, check out Durham’s home broadcasts. Sure, they’re AAA, but they’re the standard in my opinion. High A Brooklyn manages to put together a good broadcast. Others too. Our minor league broadcasts are worse that our current major league team. If you can’t see our broadcasts, that should help put it in perspective. We’re that embarrassing. Fans of other teams are forced to watch our home broadcasts.....it’s a joke. 

Delmarva has done a great job this year adding a center field camera and even a radar gun occasionally. They just need to get a director that understands we want to see the center field camera during the pitches and really when the catcher is putting down the signs. Bowie should be embarrassed to be a AA team with no center field camera. Norfolk does a pretty good job overall as well.

Aberdeen is a total an utter embarrassment. Can't believe Ripken would own a team with that broadcast.

Brnovich had another nice day today, fronting a 1-0 win with 5 shutout innings, 1 hit, 1 BB, 4 K’s.   After posting a 2.36 ERA in 8 starts at Aberdeen, he now has a 2.84 ERA in 5 games (4 starts) at Bowie.  His one bad outing at Bowie came in his only relief appearance.

• Upvote 1

8 SO's & no walks through 4 innings of 3 hit shutout ball so far.  Rutschman threw out the only attempted base-stealer.  0-0 game, Stowers batting leadoff is 2 for 2 with a double.   

Third double digit strikeout game for him.  

I’d like to hear a bit more from Tony (or anyone who follows Bowie closely about what this guy’s stuff is like.  He’s doing a pretty good Grayson Rodriguez lite impression.

At Bowie

Rodriguez: 2.04 ERA, 0.78 WHIP, 12.9 K/9

Brnovich: 2.45 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, 11.0 K/9

At Aberdeen:

Rodriguez: 1.54 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, 15.4 K/9

Brnovich: 2.36 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, 12.6 K/9

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Looks like our pitching in the minors is a little more "stacked" after all????  😉

Honestly, I'll believe it when I see dominance at AAA. Don't get me wrong, I like that stat line a lot, but without elite arm strength/stuff, feel for the ball will matter a ton.

For the life of me, I can't understand why baseball doesn't use the same ball at all levels. I guess it's because of cost, and I'd imagine the cost of baseballs really adds up for a whole team in a whole season.

43 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Honestly, I'll believe it when I see dominance at AAA. Don't get me wrong, I like that stat line a lot, but without elite arm strength/stuff, feel for the ball will matter a ton.

For the life of me, I can't understand why baseball doesn't use the same ball at all levels. I guess it's because of cost, and I'd imagine the cost of baseballs really adds up for a whole team in a whole season.

Yep, was going to say the same thing. Seems like all of our pitching prospects are struggling with the jump to AAA right now. 

Actually, I'll believe it more when I see it in the majors.   Bradish has the stuff but not the command.  Brnovich apparently has the command with a marginal fastball and a plus breaking pitch.    If you can command a marginal fastball, you can survive in the major leagues   BUT, it's got to be really, really good command of that fastball.    When you get a guy with command and the stuff you get an ace.   It remains to be seen if GrayRod is that guy but it looks like he's the only one with a chance to be THAT guy.   Means was doing a pretty good impersonation of THAT guy as well early in the season.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Third double digit strikeout game for him.  

I’d like to hear a bit more from Tony (or anyone who follows Bowie closely about what this guy’s stuff is like.  He’s doing a pretty good Grayson Rodriguez lite impression.

At Bowie

Rodriguez: 2.04 ERA, 0.78 WHIP, 12.9 K/9

Brnovich: 2.45 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, 11.0 K/9

At Aberdeen:

Rodriguez: 1.54 ERA, 0.69 WHIP, 15.4 K/9

Brnovich: 2.36 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, 12.6 K/9

I watched his start yesterday though the Bowie behind Homeplate and to the right look is not great overall, it does give you some perspective of stuff. He's been 90-92 most of this year and he gets a decent amount of whiff up in the zone despite the mediocre velocity. He works it well around the zone and has good command of the pitch. 

His slider/knuckle curve thing is his go to pitch and it was very much on for the most part yesterday. It has late, sharp bite and he's able to bury it under left-handers hands for whiff while also getting right-handers to chase.

I didn't see a lot of change ups but he did throw a couple getting whiff once and few foul balls. I would have liked to see Rutschman call a bit more changeups but his slider/knuckle curve was so good yesterday I guess it was too hard to go away from.

Overall it's hard not to like what we've seen so far. He has better command than Bradish but we need to see how he spins that major league ball before getting too excited. He may end up best of the pitchers we got from the Angels in the Bundy, especially since Bradish has a reliever vibe to me.

• Thanks 1