Greenpastures23

I miss the Metrodome

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

SkyDome opened in '89 and it looked like the future.

OPACY opened three years later and immediately rendered the SkyDome as part of the past.  I always thought it was funny how that worked.

Especially since OPACY looked to the past as it pointed baseball to the future.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

SkyDome opened in '89 and it looked like the future.

OPACY opened three years later and immediately rendered the SkyDome as part of the past.  I always thought it was funny how that worked.

The worst was the new Comiskey Park opening in 1991 that had a generic look and then became a complete afterthought a year later with OPACY opening. At least SkyDome had a bold vision even if it looks dated now, but the White Sox built an updated version of the 1970's cookie cutter stadium.

ct-spt-white-sox-new-comiskey-anniversar 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The worst was the new Comiskey Park opening in 1991 that had a generic look and then became a complete afterthought a year later with OPACY opening. At least SkyDome had a bold vision even if it looks dated now, but the White Sox built an updated version of the 1970's cookie cutter stadium.

They tried way too hard to make that look like Yankee Stadium. Totally unoriginal. 

19 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

They tried way too hard to make that look like Yankee Stadium. Totally unoriginal. 

I was there when it first opened, and a few years ago after the renovations. The original blue seats were horrible, but post renovation, it's not a bad place to catch a game. Inexpensive too, compared to a Cubs game. 

23 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

And Yankee Stadium is only revered because of the history of the team playing there. Aesthetically, I've always thought old and new Yankees Stadium look run of the mill. 

I also miss the Metrodome and was (probably a little too) excited when I saw that it was included among the selection of old school stadiums you can play games at in MLB: The Show '21.

Now if I could just get the game's developers to add Memorial Stadium...

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You know what though -- New Comiskey was the first ballpark to have a feature that Oriole Park lacks and that some subsequent ballparks (Pittsburgh, Washington) have -- where you can walk around the lower concourse, even be in line at a concessions stand, and have a view of the field, looking from behind the lower level seats..   So they were pioneers in that way.

• Upvote 1

I don't miss the Metrodome one iota. Ugly, horrible stadium!

I do miss a roof on the New stadium tho. April games in MINNESOTA???? Even late September or PLAYOFFS? Baseball DOES NOT NEED SNOWouts!

Whose brilliant idea was that?

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You know what though -- New Comiskey was the first ballpark to have a feature that Oriole Park lacks and that some subsequent ballparks (Pittsburgh, Washington) have -- where you can walk around the lower concourse, even be in line at a concessions stand, and have a view of the field, looking from behind the lower level seats..   So they were pioneers in that way.

The new Pittsburgh has that too doesn't it? I haven't been but I think it does. MY bad... It's only a hairy 3 hour drive.

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I also miss the Metrodome and was (probably a little too) excited when I saw that it was included among the selection of old school stadiums you can play games at in MLB: The Show '21.

Now if I could just get the game's developers to add Memorial Stadium...

If you have a next-gen console (PS5 or Xbox S or X) they added a Season creator feature this year with a community upload/download feature. So Memorial, Tigers Stadium, Olympic, Ebbets Field and a lot of others are there. 

2 hours ago, Greenpastures23 said:

Old Comiskey Park is one of the coolest stadiums ever.

I wish Comiskey and the very unique Tiger stadium were still standing

I loved Tiger Stadium and am glad I got to see a couple games there.  Definitely my all time favorite ballpark that wasn't the home of "my team".

2 hours ago, Greenpastures23 said:

Old Comiskey Park is one of the coolest stadiums ever.

I wish Comiskey and the very unique Tiger stadium were still standing

Those stadiums had character and the current stadiums the White Sox and Tigers play in do not. This Eddie Murray home run in the 1983 ALCS is made even cooler having hit it at Comiskey Park.

11 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

If you have a next-gen console (PS5 or Xbox S or X) they added a Season creator feature this year with a community upload/download feature. So Memorial, Tigers Stadium, Olympic, Ebbets Field and a lot of others are there. 

Alas, I do not. I don't play video games enough at this stage of my life to justify buying a next gen console before at least the first price drop. Pretty much the only games I played regularly prior to The Show finally coming out for Xbox were Fallout 4 and WWE '19.

Still though, very good to know for future reference, so thanks for the heads up :gallden:

15 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And Yankee Stadium is only revered because of the history of the team playing there. Aesthetically, I've always thought old and new Yankees Stadium look run of the mill. 

We do need a lot more parks that are 461' to LC. With random plaques of Miller Huggins in play.