Sports Guy

Kremer sent to AAA; Hays on IL...again!

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t disagree with you but it also could be a function of these guys just not being that good, at least not good enough to be starters in the majors.

It’s not like any of those guys were labeled can’t miss or that they highly rated guys everyone thought were MOR guys.  

They developed Means.  The lower level pitching is developing well.  Why would the development all of a sudden be bad in the majors?  It’s the same plan being implemented.  It’s the same tech being used.  The same philosophies.

It could easily be that these guys just aren’t good.

Well said.  They were billed as middle of the rotation starters at best.

I just don't see it with guys like Akin and Baumann.  Middling stuff.  No special fastball, no special secondary offerings.  I don't think they're that good.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t love Kremer being demoted but I mind it less now than I did back in April. I would still rather see him stay here but I understand it a little more now than before.

He has got to improve his FB command.  

He wasn’t great last night, but he got totally screwed by the home plate umpire during the endless second inning.  Numerous strikes in quality locations called balls.  

You don’t give up on Hays because quite frankly, you have no one else to turn to right now.

However, you also don’t have any plan moving forward where he is a starter.  If he forces that, so be it but you don’t write him down for anything either.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  I've never been high on DJ Stewart but quite frankly his plate discipline is one thing thats appealing, especially in comping him to a guy like Mountcastle.  And he hits homers in bunches, as we've seen.

I kind of hated the pick at the time and never really thought all that much of DJ until last year when he posted a .800+ OPS despite a sub-.200 Avg, which compelled me to take a closer look at him. His walk rate and ISO are both quite good, borderline excellent, so if the guy could just make contact more consistently (easier said than done, I know), he could be a legitimate MOO hitter for a competitive team.

I kind of wonder if having him stash his glove in the back of his locker and DH full time might allow him to finally put it all together as a hitter. If so, he could be something along the lines of a Discount David Ortiz for us.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t disagree with you but it also could be a function of these guys just not being that good, at least not good enough to be starters in the majors.

It’s not like any of those guys were labeled can’t miss or that they highly rated guys everyone thought were MOR guys.  

They developed Means.  The lower level pitching is developing well.  Why would the development all of a sudden be bad in the majors?  It’s the same plan being implemented.  It’s the same tech being used.  The same philosophies.

It could easily be that these guys just aren’t good.

Kremer is more disappointing than Akin, imo. Kremer had better AA numbers, not by a lot but pretty much across the board. Kremer essentially skipped AAA versus Akin having pretty poor AAA numbers. Based on Akin's AAA I pretty much expected him to suck in MLB. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Kremer is more disappointing than Akin, imo. Kremer had better AA numbers, not by a lot but pretty much across the board. Kremer essentially skipped AAA versus Akin having pretty poor AAA numbers. Based on Akin's AAA I pretty much expected him to suck in MLB. 

I don’t really agree with much of this post.

Akin had really solid MiL numbers, even in AAA.  His ERA was high in 2019 but he was also 6th in ERA amongst starters who qualified that year.  His peripherals were pretty good.

His issue has always been walks.  He strikes out more guys and misses more bats than Kremer.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Akin had really solid MiL numbers, even in AAA.  His ERA was high in 2019 but he was also 6th in ERA amongst starters who qualified that year.  His peripherals were pretty good.

His issue has always been walks.  He strikes out more guys and misses more bats than Kremer.

Kremer AA 3.3 BB/9, 9.9 K/9, 2.69 ERA, 1.204 WHIP

Akin AA 3.9 BB/9, 9.3 K/9, 3.27 ERA, 1.249 WHIP

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

So they are playing with a 25-man roster today? Two men down, only one man up?

Sounds like could be Akin on Sunday.

Akin is indeed the rotation replacement and Tate will Join the team in Chicago.

I somewhat feel like if Kremer were Matt Harvey he would get a 10-day DL stint with shoulder inflammation or some such.   But he's a rookie.   I would guess he'll be back in 2-3 turns tops as the MLB Orioles inch on up to 1500 IP.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Watching the lack of improvement by Kremer and Akin makes me more and more concerned about the Orioles current developmental staff at the high levels. Add in the inconsistencies of Zimmermann, and we have not seen any of them improve on anything. Heck, throw in Tanner Scott's bouts of wildness again and who has become better or more consistent? 

I just see a lot of failure of our young prospects at the major league level this year.

I get that it’s specifically a concern with lack of improvement, but Akin and Zimmerman have never really been viewed as more than swingmen/depth pieces. 
Kremer on the other hand seems almost to have regressed, but I’m still hopeful he can figure it out.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The run-scoring environment in AAA that year was way above AA because the AAA leagues were using major league baseballs that were really juiced that year.   

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I get that it’s specifically a concern with lack of improvement, but Akin and Zimmerman have never really been viewed as more than swingmen/depth pieces. 
Kremer on the other hand seems almost to have regressed, but I’m still hopeful he can figure it out.

There are many in the organization, including Elias before 2020 (maybe still but I had the conversation with him after the 2019 season) who liked Akin better than Kremer and Lowther.

I'm the one who has never been too high on Akin and think he'll be better in relief, but he must improve his command because he makes too many mistakes in the middle of the plate.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Recent NBA picks don't matter that much to an incoming coach.  They're attributed to the coach that they worked under, not the school IMO.   Texas Tech... their athletic budget is 2/3 of Maryland's and theyre in the red according to publicly available data.  Compare that to Maryland, 5 million in the black. They cannot outbid Maryland and don't have as many built in recruiting advantages.  And they've already proven that they can't necessarily keep a successful coach, or replace said departure with a splashy hire.   FSU... ehh.  It's a football school, they have older facilities, a $30 million deficit in the athletic department, and if Hamilton leaves/retires I really don't think they're beating Maryland for a job.  I 100% agree that they have been more successful recently.  But no championships, and their only f4 was in the 70s.  Not exactly a powerhouse history.   And as I said, other analysts like Jeff Goodman, Rob dauster, John Fanta, Matt Norlander have gone on record saying his is anywhere from a top-15 to top-25 HC position.  And those guys are not affiliated with Maryland.
    • Now is a good time to start this discussion. Heading into this season, what players have value or the potential to create trade value? It's obvious we probably have another year or two of selling a couple pieces. Below is my best guess as to who Elias would be willing to move for the right price. Cedric Mullins - Has a high price tag obviously. However, we know this year is a wash competitively, could be better next year, but most likely not play off bound. That would leave Mullins here for 24 and 25 to realistically compete for the playoffs. If we can get back multiple pieces in a trade now that could help us compete by that time AND can be controlled several years beyond, it's worth listening. Will he cheaper in the meantime as you avoid Mullins arbitration years. Good sell high candidate too John Means - Same as above. Plus Means is a bit older, probably at peak value especially if he had a good start to 2022. If you had a solid return on both Means and Mullins, it could infuse the upcoming wave of talent that could make us competitive for years Trey Mancini - Best case scenario, he looks like 2019 Trey and we swing him at the deadline for a solid prospect or 2.  If he plays like he did last year, you might get a Andrew Cashner type return Austin Hays - He's currently not on the block, nor should he be, but by chance he has a blow up season like Mullins did last year, then he would share the same circumstances in regards to service time as Mullins. We'll see if we cross that bridge Cole Sulser - He was good last year. He's controllable but a tad older than the Youth movement coming, so probably reaching peak value this year Anthony Santander- Already on 4th service year. Has shown flashes of what he could be. If he stays healthy and breaks out, he could fetch a really good return. This would be the year of peak value IF he performs. Tanner Scott - Seems to always be on the cusp of a break out. If he can harness the fb and slider a little more, some will want the LHP at the deadline Paul Fry- Depends on which Paul Fry shows up to camp. He could have been traded last year but Elias didn't like the return. He'll probably take it this year Dillon Tate - No rush to trade, but saw his name come up last year. Needs to get better, and if he does, he might be worth trading as he has similar arbitration status as Mullins and Hays Roughned Odor - If by chance he figures it out and hits a bunch of fingers, he'd be a trade deadline guy, but that was our hope for Maikel Franco Jordan Lyles- Apparently there's a pretty strong market for 5.00 era innings eaters. Another potential trade deadline guy, ala Cashner  Jorge Lopez - They paid a decent penny to bring back the inconsistent starter. If he thrives in a relief role, now would be a good time to trade the soon to be 29 year old in his fourth year of service  DJ Stewart - It's a now or never year for Stewart. He probably has a better chance of getting cut than traded as it stands.  Seems to have the OBP tool, has to hit now. If he can be an .800 OPS OF/DH, he essentially becomes a poor man's Kyle Schwarber. At 28, he'd be a peak value should he perform.          
    • Well, agree to disagree.  
    • The ACC that everyone loved is dead.  The old 9 team conference with true round-robin died long before Maryland left.  The ACC thought so much of Maryland that they decided Pitt was going to be its natural rival and wasn't going to ensure any annual home and homes with UNC, Duke, State, UVA, etc..  It was the last straw from a conference that never cared about Maryland. The move to the Big Ten has been great from an academic sense (look at the expansion of the engineering program), and the basketball has been fine (I'd argue that the BIG 10 has been deeper consistently than the ACC since Maryland left).    
    • I can't be the only one that thinks 6-9 is a black hole
    • Those 3 things do matter…but MD is the destination of those local kids.  Recruiting is so different now, especially with the power of social media.     There are tons of attractive urban areas, so that really isn’t much of a factor overall.  It may help vs some Midwest school in podunk but up against a lot of the power 5 teams, not as much. Lots of schools have top notch facilities.   I mean, look at their recruiting rankings. They have had 1 top 10 Class in the last decade.  They had more classes ranked outside the top 35 than inside the top 20.     Had you asked me 5+ years ago, I would have agreed it was a top 25 job.  It’s just not the case anymore.  
    • First of all, the current state of the program absolutely matters and it matters a hell of a lot more than MDs title in 2002. Would those schools out hire?  Maybe..money is important and the Terps haven’t had any. BTw, I meant Texas Tech, not Texas A&M.  Now, we will see what TT does after losing Beard but that’s been a really good program recently. FSU has been a far better program than MD for a solid 5-10 years.  It’s not close.  They have had several first round picks, highly ranked recruiting classes and lots of tourney success, not to mention being one of the winningest programs in the ACC. Your last sentence is just wrong.  The idea that you think it’s clear is absurd. They have limited recent success(especially in March), not much national appeal, no money and no real high end picks to point to in the league recently.     Like I said, the right coach can elevate the program back to what you are saying…but as we talk now, as the job is looked at by recruits, etc…it’s not there anymore.  Things can change.  
  • Popular Contributors