Greenpastures23

21 O's versus 62 Mets

Frank Thomas hit 34 HR, 94  Rbi that year. They would've lost lot more than 120 games without him. The Orioles need a legit power cleanup man with Chris Davis gone and terrible when he was playing. 

I  also recognize Chris Canizzarro who was a pretty good catcher, Richiie Ashurn, and Jim Hickman had a good career with the Cubs.  The  pitching staff  I recall Roger Craig. Al Jackson but the Mets pitching looks  weak overall to me. 

Hopefully some of the Orioles will make their names known but at this point it's hard for me to be optimistic.

When you say "they" may have more talent, I'm not sure who you mean by "they."

Here's how bad the 1962 Mets were.

On May 31, 1962, the Mets lost to the Dodgers, 6-3, making their record 12-30, for a winning percentage of .286.  It was their 11th consecutive loss in a streak that would eventually reach 17 games.

And actually, those first 42 games turned out better than the rest of their season.  The 16th and 17th losses of the streak came in a doubleheader against the Phillies on June 6.  At the end of that 17-game losing streak, the Mets were 12-36 for a winning percentage of .250.  That turned out to be their norm - their winning percentage for the entire season was .250, with a record of 40-120 (two games were rained out and never replayed).

The Orioles, after today's 14th loss in a row, are 17-37 for a winning percentage of .315.  In order to get down to a winning percentage of .250, they would have to lose ANOTHER 14 in a row, extending the current streak to 28.  If that were to happen, their record would be 17-51 and their winning percentage would be .250.

I don't think it's going to turn out that badly.

I hope you guys are right but I am starting to worry.  I don't think the Orioles will lose another 14 in a row to get down to .250 but the team seems to be collapsing with 4 months to go, they have plenty of time to get down to .250.  (Actually I think they'd have to play better than .250 to avoid the L record  because for some reason the 62 mets only played 160 games.)

13 minutes ago, Greenpastures23 said:

Diamondbacks may be the worst team ever

1899 Spiders will always be the worst. I’d also love to see a comparison between the DBacks and the ‘03 Tigers, sans recency bias. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I had to look to see who that was who just stood there with the ball.   Nick Ahmed.  WTF?

Catcher is yelling for the ball.

My 6 year old started baseball this year and there would be times where they would get the ball and have no idea where to throw it.  People were telling them where to throw it but they just froze.   I don’t expect the exact same decision making from a MLer but damn, there it is.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I had to look to see who that was who just stood there with the ball.   Nick Ahmed.  WTF?

Tom Tango's gonna have to do some thinking how to get that one into OAA, in which Nick Ahmed is currently #1 in MLB.

The MLB team this week - in Means' absence, the relative struggles of Kremer, Akin, Lowther, Baumann etc is really making itself felt.   My general feeling on aggregate the best 20 Orioles are doing well is colored largely by the 10 best.

Milwaukee Mancini was already a nice fit before Vogelbach ruined his leg, should Elias end up taking that fork in the road.   For short term trade value, Hiura's light bulb staying off I suppose would help.