Jump to content
Frobby

Cadyn Grenier showing signs of life

Recommended Posts

I’ve heard the opinion that Grenier is the best defensive SS in our system, but that still doesn’t tell me if he’d be an above average defender for a major league starting SS.  I’d need to know the answer to that question to know whether he could be a major league starter.   His bat has improved a bit, but I’m guessing he’d still be sub-.700 by at least a little as a major leaguer.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve heard the opinion that Grenier is the best defensive SS in our system, but that still doesn’t tell me if he’d be an above average defender for a major league starting SS.  I’d need to know the answer to that question to know whether he could be a major league starter.   His bat has improved a bit, but I’m guessing he’d still be sub-.700 by at least a little as a major leaguer.   

In March fangraphs gave him a 50/55 grade for his fielding. So potentially future above avg major league SS. It also has his speed at 70. A scout type view on it would be nice though

Edited by seak05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I feel like that may be so deep, that only a reincarnated Confucius would be able to decipher this one. :D

 

9 hours ago, NCRaven said:

What?  

I meant to say every team. He wouldn't start for every team, but he'd start for a majority of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joelala said:

Would he be more valuable than Richie Martin if we were to call him up today?

Well, he's a more steadier defender than Martin and has more pop. But until he can learn to stay away from the slider away he's going to struggle offensively.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, he's a more steadier defender than Martin and has more pop. But until he can learn to stay away from the slider away he's going to struggle offensively.

Still trying to figure out what Richie Martin is offensively. He has one of the ugliest batting stances I've ever seen, and we've talked a lot about his launch angle (which might have improved I'm not sure) and looking overmatched last year until the last two months. He hasn't been a total non-factor at the plate so far this season, so I want to see a bit more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Still trying to figure out what Richie Martin is offensively. He has one of the ugliest batting stances I've ever seen, and we've talked a lot about his launch angle (which might have improved I'm not sure) and looking overmatched last year until the last two months. He hasn't been a total non-factor at the plate so far this season, so I want to see a bit more. 

His statcast info concerns me. He had very low EV in 2019 and has a very low EV now. Hard to have consistent success when you aren't hitting the ball hard that often.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

His statcast info concerns me. He had very low EV in 2019 and has a very low EV now. Hard to have consistent success when you aren't hitting the ball hard that often.

That’s fair. He did just get back, and has barely played for two years. I liked where he was last Spring, when he was driving the ball gap to gap. His hands were loaded in a much more powerful position. The current iteration does remind me of 2019. He just never seems to get his hands back enough before launch. His trigger needs to be sooner from that pre-pitch relaxed posture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...