Jump to content
Frobby

Will we soon be better than the Nats?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Frobby said:

Scherzer >>> Gausman (2018 version).  I take your point about salary relief being more important to the Orioles, but these are two all-stars the Dodgers just acquired.   I’d expect nothing less in terms of the quality of prospects acquired.  Scherzer’s a guy who could win you a couple of World Series games.  

Sure, I wouldn't expect the same return.

I just think you need to factor in ownership mandating a decrease in payroll when judging the O's prospect haul. 

BTW the O's are paying O'Day through 2023.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, I wouldn't expect the same return.

I just think you need to factor in ownership mandating a decrease in payroll when judging the O's prospect haul. 

BTW the O's are paying O'Day through 2023.

The money is already escrowed.  But I recall the Braves picked up some of that (to your point about payroll decrease mandates).   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frobby said:

The money is already escrowed.  But I recall the Braves picked up some of that (to your point about payroll decrease mandates).   

 

Could be, I was just looking it up and the site I was using looked like it was on the O's for the 2021-2023 deferred money.  But maybe I misinterpreted what I was looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s a contemporary of Markakis and very much from the same mold — a quiet, soft spoken guy who never drew attention to himself but was a very good player.   And he has had a serious knack for hitting walk-off homers — 11 of them, in fact.   That’s pretty amazing.   For comparison’s sake, Albert Pujols has 12, David Ortiz had 11, Alex Rodriguez had 9, Miggy Cabrera has 7.    

Yeah, I'd almost like the guy if he wasn't a Wahoo 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, backwardsk said:

After the trades, the Nationals have added 10 players to their top 30.  They’ve gone from the worst farm system to a middle of the road one in  24-48 hours.

On the other hand, their major league team has gone from mediocre to very bad.  And, they pretty much emptied their team of tradeable assets, with Soto being the obvious exception.   It’s going to be interesting to see which direction Rizzo goes this offseason.   I doubt he’ll be in teardown mode, with Soto to build around.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Board reflecting WAS up to 23rd this morning, as we draw ever nearer to the TBR -$180M for Wander (124 PA today) graduation, and possible start to debate of "best farm" in MLB for this offseason.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2021-in-season-prospect-list/farm-ranking?sort=-1,1&type=100&filter=&pos=&team=

Reliever trades wise, I didn't see Alex Scherff in either FG's BOS or MIN lists this morning - as a 1-for-1 for Hansel Robles, he seemed to me as good as a proxy might have gotten yesterday as a valuation point for anyone Sulser/Tate/Fry/Scott-ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

On the other hand, their major league team has gone from mediocre to very bad.  And, they pretty much emptied their team of tradeable assets, with Soto being the obvious exception.   It’s going to be interesting to see which direction Rizzo goes this offseason.   I doubt he’ll be in teardown mode, with Soto to build around.   

Lol. They won a championship in 2019, the Os roughly 40 years prior to that but your concern is with the Nationals? Hilarious. Os fans never grounded in reality. They just rebuilt with a few trades and likely are around 15th or so. Plus their first rounder in 2020… at like 20? I think?…. Cade Cavelli is tearing it up. We took Kjerstad that year….I know, I know….nobody could have predicted that…

 

This board just makes excuses for ineptitude and poor management like I have never seen anywhere else. “You can’t judge this draft for 4-5 years…Yada yada”. “Nobody knew Yaz would be a star” says the org with a GM from a scouting background….

 

At some point Bro, it’s not her, it’s you. 

  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Lol. They won a championship in 2019, the Os roughly 40 years prior to that but your concern is with the Nationals? Hilarious. Os fans never grounded in reality. They just rebuilt with a few trades and likely are around 15th or so. Plus their first rounder in 2020… at like 20? I think?…. Cade Cavelli is tearing it up. We took Kjerstad that year….I know, I know….nobody could have predicted that…

 

This board just makes excuses for ineptitude and poor management like I have never seen anywhere else. “You can’t judge this draft for 4-5 years…Yada yada”. “Nobody knew Yaz would be a star” says the org with a GM from a scouting background….

 

At some point Bro, it’s not her, it’s you. 

I do agree that Oriole fans, in general, are a bit too happy when things go poorly for their rivals instead of being worried about their own team.  I swear some folks would sign up for five seasons of 100 loses if it meant the Yanks missed the playoffs once.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do agree that Oriole fans, in general, are a bit too happy when things go poorly for their rivals instead of being worried about their own team.  I swear some folks would sign up for five seasons of 100 loses if it meant the Yanks missed the playoffs once.

I am actively contemplating 9 weeks of rooting for the Yankees in hopes of seeing Gerrit Cole make like starts 35-40 this October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I am actively contemplating 9 weeks of rooting for the Yankees in hopes of seeing Gerrit Cole make like starts 35-40 this October.

C'mon mannnnnnnnnnn!  Nothing can make one root for the Yankees!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do agree that Oriole fans, in general, are a bit too happy when things go poorly for their rivals instead of being worried about their own team.  I swear some folks would sign up for five seasons of 100 loses if it meant the Yanks missed the playoffs five times.

FTFY.  I'm down for that - anyone else with me?  😇.  I can live with playoffs in 2026 except for the aging part (at 83 am I senescent or just marginally so)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like there are a lot of people in the OH that enjoy more seeing the Yankees and Red Sox lose than watching the Orioles win. I seriously don't get it, they don't even consider us a rival team. I just root for the Orioles and I couldn't care less for the Yankees and the Sox.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...